Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 15, 2018 09:10PM

Thursday, January 18th, 10-11 am at 50 W. Broadway SLC, Utah. 84101-2018

Protect young LDS youth from intrusive, abusive and sexual oriented interviews

Article linking at www.smore.com/6zrdn

What are you doing on Thursday in downtown SALT LAKE about 10am?

M@t

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 15, 2018 09:12PM

How about protecting them from having to chose between patents and ghawd?

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 10:10PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about protecting them from having to chose
> between patents and ghawd?

You mean protecting them from the LDS ’church'... if and where possible.

Date: January 15, 2018 09:13PM

Thursday, January 18th, 10-11 am Presenting -

SAM YOUNG
Houston business owner, father of 6 daughters, decades of service to the LDS church including bishop, bishopric counselor, ward mission leader, ward young men president, stake young men president, stake public affairs director, stake activities director, high councilor, high priest group leader, seminary teacher, institute teacher and several special assignments. Served full time mission in Guatemala/El Salvador

JOELLE CASTEIX
Sex Abuse Victims’ Advocate; Western Regional Leader, SNAP, the Survivors Network

Named one of Orange County’s 100 Most Influential People, Joelle is the award-winning author of the bestsellers The Well-Armored Child: A Parent’s Guide to Preventing Child Sexual Abuse (RiverGrove Books) and The Power of Responsibility (based on her wildly successful TEDx talk.) A successful writer and blogger, she is also a leading national “in the trenches” expert on the prevention and exposure of child sex abuse and cover-up, especially within institutions such as the Catholic Church.

A former journalist, educator, and public relations professional, Joelle has taken her own experience as a victim of child sex crimes and devoted her career to exposing abuse, advocating on behalf of survivors, and spreading abuse prevention strategies for parents and communities. Her writing has been featured in The Orange County Register, Parenting.com, and hundreds of other blogs and magazines nationwide.

Since 2003, Joelle has been the volunteer Western Regional Director of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests. In that capacity, she has traveled the world exposing abusers, helping victims get healing, justice and accountability, and researching predatory abuse patterns in institutions.

Her expertise includes an in-depth understanding and recognition of patterns of abuse, predatory behaviors, grooming, prevention, institutional disregard, and criminal cover-up.

She also conducts trainings for families, churches and communities on how to raise empowered children and keep our communities safe from child sexual abuse.

NATASHA HELFER PARKER, LCMFT, CST
She has practiced for over 20 years, primarily working with issues of relational health, faith journeys, and sexuality. She is a Certified Sex Therapist and Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist. She writes a blog called The Mormon Therapist, and hosts the podcasts Mormon Mental Health, and Mormon Sex Info. She also runs a sex education program, Sex Talk with Natasha and her private practice, Symmetry Solutions. For more information visit natashaparker.org.

Natasha has been writing and podcasting around her concerns regarding this issue of interviews that cross personal sexual boundaries and cause shaming harm as well as risky power dynamics that can lead to ecclesiastical abuse for years.

Date: January 15, 2018 11:06PM

TMC will cross their fingers Thursday - and eternally from here on out - if they have any left.

LDS INterviews are on their way OUT. FREE AGENCY, EQUALITY and RESPECT for privacy (WITHOUT FEAR of a catch-22 or self incrimination, FOR SOMETHING SO SIMPLE as self-pleasure, self-sacrifice or self-renewal, IS IN.

Posted by: Houston wehaveaproblem ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 12:49PM

I'd give up sinning for an hour to witness THIS (if only I were in the area).

Take it to 'em Sam (and other two [loud] voices! Great concerned man indeed.

HELP PREVENT secret, ulterior motive, whimsical, closed door, secret <not sacred>, generally PERVERTED, (not so) PRIVATE and prying, UNNECESSARY torture sessions!

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 10:37PM

I am glad to see this. I hope they will be eventually successful. The youth interviews border on abuse. The damage to young men's and women's self-esteem from untrained leaders conducting these has lead to so much damage.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 10:49PM

I'd say the interviews are on the border between abuse and extreme abuse.

Breaking down a kid's sense of self, making her feel guilt about her sexuality, making him feel as if there is no wall of privacy between his inner life and authority figures. . . I simply can't see how that is not abuse.

There are worse forms, surely, and the church's interview system sometimes leads to them. But I can't see how the bishop's interviews are not per se an unacceptable violation of personal boundaries and personal autonomy. Even when well conducted by men of goodwill, the interviews are an important early step in the breakdown of healthy individuality on which cults depend.

People should be building up children's personal boundaries and sense of individual morality, not tearing them down. And I do think this rises to the level of abuse. No outsider should ever present himself as having a right to delve into the private life of an adolescent.

Date: January 18, 2018 03:16AM

Eric K Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am glad to see this. I hope they will be
> eventually successful. The youth interviews
> border on abuse. The damage to young men's and
> women's self-esteem from untrained leaders
> conducting these has lead to so much damage.

Same here.

Lot's Wife - breaking down [someone's soul!].

Got to read the news.
Anybody know?
Who went?

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 01:25AM

Date: January 17, 2018 10:07AM

This is something Utah, Moremanism and the real world has needed to shake the heads of Mormon followers - MUCH LESS 'leaders' - and HELP (not torture, [spiritually, ecclesiastically, emotionally] spy on, grope for "CONFESSIONS", bully, shame, embarrass, pervert, humiliate, punish and victimize) children, teenagers and even adults.

Get Ready MC (Mormonite 'church'). It's NEVER READY. How many saints will be there? Not enough. THIS SHOULDN'T HAVE TO HAPPEN.

If not GROUNDBREAKING, at least ground shaking.

How many of you saints/ formons (former-mormons)/ exmos/ nonmos are going? Wish I was - party on.

M@t

Oops - corrected date

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2018 10:09AM by moremany.

Date: January 19, 2018 03:27AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.