Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon for this... ( )
Date: January 15, 2018 08:52PM

I'm trying to obscure the details here so as not to give away anyone's identity (mine or theirs).

Although we are not in close contact now, years ago I knew a TBM woman who married into a very famous performing TBM famlly...you would know this family if I mentioned it. They were megastars. She and her spouse were divorced a few years ago and she married a nevermo. I came across her FB page and she looks and says that she is happier than she has ever been. Her celebrity ex husband has been sealed to another wife in the temple. It appears that her new spouse has no intention of joining the Mormon church.

She has children (now grown) with her first husband.

It appears she is still a TBM and has little hope of converting the nevermo second spouse.

I'm wondering this...has anyone met a TBM who, divorcing their TBM husband, yet not cancelling the sealing is perfectly happy to keep things as they are? I'm wondering if this woman is happy in the fact that she is still sealed to her TBM spouse (and therefore her eternal family is intact) yet she lives happily (even happier) in this life married to her second, nevermo spouse.

I had never considered this before and while I don't know all the details I'm wondering if this is the case here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 05:18AM

You didn't do a good job obscuring the details. It was talked about on here when they divorced, and when he re-married, first civilly, then sealed to Karen a year later.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 08:10PM

"celebrities"

Date: January 17, 2018 04:30PM

notmonotloggedin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "celebrities"

You are right. Of the 9 Osmond sibling, 4 have been divorced, w/ Marie 2x

Posted by: yorkie1962 ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 10:13AM

Kandilyn seems extremely happy now - good for her! The relationship between her ex and his youngest brother - not so brilliant - 'because he remarried.'

Date: January 16, 2018 08:12PM

yorkie1962 Wrote:

> The relationship between her ex and his youngest
> brother - not so brilliant - 'because he
> remarried.'

I haven't heard that. How do you know?

Posted by: Once Knew Him ( )
Date: January 23, 2018 02:15PM

Youngest brother and Jay were always very close - attached at the hip. Jim was not happy when Jay married this woman, and these two brothers are now estranged. It's sad that a new spouse can cause families to break up - no matter who the family is.

Date: January 23, 2018 04:31PM

Once Knew Him Wrote:
> It's sad that a new spouse can cause
> families to break up - no matter who the family
> is.

True dat.
Happened in my family.

Posted by: Dennis Moore nli ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 10:15AM

I just looked at "his" official faceybook page, and he looks wrinkly and old. Damn and I think we are the same age.

Damn, do I look old and wrinkly?

-Dashing Dennis

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 11:38AM

He is old and wrinkly, but IMO he's more attractive now than he was in his 20's.

So there's that . . .

Date: January 16, 2018 08:11PM

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 12:04PM

I know several who have divorced, re-married nevermos and are still active. And they are some of the happiest TBMs I know. Makes total sense to me. They get the best of both worlds. Well, the best if you actually want to still be mormon. They don't have to have someone lording their "power and authority" over them constantly, they get to closely socialize with normal people and with mormons, and they still have their eternal family if they believe in that nonsense.

Date: January 16, 2018 08:09PM

It's a very curious scenario in that respect.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 12:18PM

I expect to read all about it when the next issue of TIGER BEAT
arrives in my mailbox.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 12:50PM

Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhah.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 01:56PM

If she stays active in the church, she gets to keep her social circle and I assume all her kids are active mormon. No shunning.

Divorced, single, and even widowed women are treated like second and third class citizens in the lds church. I'm sure she is treated better by mormons being married whether it is with a nonmormon man than without one. I've noticed that myself. People treat me a lot better here in Utah now that I have a boyfriend I go places with here in Utah. I knew that as a single mormon in my 20s.

Remember that it will all be worked out in the hereafter. And what isn't, her kids can take care of after she dies or he dies or whatever.

There aren't a whole hell of a lot of mormon men available to divorced mormon women in their 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s. Even the new president married a woman many years his junior.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2018 01:56PM by cl2.

Posted by: Once knew him ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 02:42PM

Oh Jay. He definitely has changed. I'm happy for Kandi. She seems totally in love and happy with her current husband. She was miserable with Jay. I'm glad Kandi's new husband isn't LDS. Brings more sanity to their lives. Jay may have married an LDS woman but she is far from being a saint. She is insanely jealous and manipulative. She never keeps the same friends long and her own children and his don't have much to do with her. Yep he got a winner alright.

Posted by: Once Knew Him ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 02:46PM

When I said he might have married an LDS woman, I meant the new wifey (Karen).

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 04:28PM

Holy crap he's aged like hell.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 08:14PM

SORRRRRRRRYYYYYY but Donny and Marie do not even qualify as "mega stars" even in their hey day WHICH IS LONG OVER, and any one riding on their coat tails is NOT a mega star.

Date: January 17, 2018 01:13PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 03:49PM

You don't get a years-long residency as a Las Vegas performer without having a large and devoted fan base. Plus they both made it very far on Dancing With the Stars, and it wasn't entirely due to their dancing ability (Marie in particular.) You can often tell when the fan vote is overwhelming for a particular contestant. If the contestant is a halfway-decent dancer, the judges often just give up and go with it. They are not there to irritate the fans.

Date: January 17, 2018 04:33PM

smirkorama Wrote:
> SORRRRRRRRYYYYYY but Donny and Marie do not even
> qualify as "mega stars" even in their hey day
> WHICH IS LONG OVER, and any one riding on their
> coat tails is NOT a mega star.

Donny was definitely a huge and mega teen idol back in the 70's. The whole "Osmond Brothers" mania etc.

Perhaps you ate too young to have seen it

Date: January 23, 2018 05:00PM

my friends, and my ultra MORmON cousins from a variety of states were paying their money for a variety of music. NO one that I knew was buying Osmond garbage, NO ONE!!!! Lawrence Welk was better thought of !!! an Osmond tape cartridge would not last 5 seconds in any of their tape players before being ripped out and tossed out the window or stomped on. If the person who put it in there objected too much, then they could be tossed out of the car too...... but the thing is that NO ONE around even had a crappy Osmond's recording, at all.

Eagles, Elton John, Bread, even the ultra mellow Carpenters, Chicago, Little River Band, Led Zeppelin, (disgusting ) KISS, Michael Jackson, Barry Manilow, the Beatles, even Neil Diamond, Super Tramp, Billy Joel, BEE GEES. I could go on and on and on and on! about REAL mega stars/ super stars!!!!! You know -stuff that I still hear on the Radio ALL OF TIME !!!! Did I mention that I STILL hear those artists on the Radio ALL THE TIME. ITM rstil he

Even my super ass hole SUPER TIGHT WAD MORmON male parent who bought Lettermen albums based on their MORmON affiliation would did NOT buy any of the Osmond's schlock !!

NO ONE around me was buying the Osmond's GARBAGE. I have no idea how those MORmONS ever sold a record !!!!!

I have NOT heard an Osmond song on the Radio in over thirty years/ three decades. I have heard Barbara Streisand or Frank Sinatra played on the radio a thousand times since I have heard a dorky Osmond song on the radio !!!!! and that is in UTAH !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IybKqL62mWY

Posted by: Not signed in tonight ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 08:44PM

So even the famous Osmond family is, or already has, splinter. Big families tend to do that.
Jay moved to England, Jimmy's on his own performing, etc. Jimmy even admits that the family isn't really in touch anymore, unless there is a crisis. Talked in an interview about the competitiveness and egos that get in the way.

Sad somehow. It was a fear of their father's, the falling apart of the family.

So, how is that whole "families are forever" thingy doing for ya, there, Jim?

Posted by: Nottelling ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 05:15PM

I remember having posters of Donny on my wall when I was a teenager.

As to Marie, she is Beautiful, but for some reason she looks fake to me.

Date: January 17, 2018 11:19PM

Nottelling Wrote:

>
> As to Marie, she is Beautiful, but for some reason
> she looks fake to me.

"For some reason", indeed

Date: January 23, 2018 05:05PM

Nottelling Wrote:

> As to Marie, she is Beautiful, but for some reason
> she looks fake to me.

just wait until Marie consumes another two or three times her body weight in prozac to see how her looks turn out, I mean until next year, that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY143Twz5E4

Date: January 23, 2018 04:19PM

Here is the deal: MORmON insiders get special treatment ALL THE TIME ....... MORmONISM is based on selected people ascending to elite status and then getting special privileges

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IybKqL62mWY

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 08:52PM

Temple divorces are a big hassle to obtain. If the remarried ex-spouse marries a never Mo there isn't the impetus to push to get a temple divorce so she could remarry.

I don't think it's because she believes her first marriage is still binding. It is just she likely doesn't want to be bothered going through the rigmarole to have it nullified.

Especially given her unhappiness in the first marriage. She knows in her heart of hearts she won't be yoked with someone she divorced because they were incompatible.

Even the diehard TBM's must have their doubts about TSCC teachings, given what's publicly available today for inquiring minds.

The Osmonds strike me as more cultural Mormons than religious zealots.

Date: January 30, 2018 09:00PM

Amyjo Wrote:
>
> The Osmonds strike me as more cultural Mormons
> than religious zealots.

Depends which one you are talking about. Alan is a zealot for sure.

Date: January 30, 2018 10:39PM

Alan wasn't someone I followed too much as a teen. Donny and Marie were - we are closer in age.

Didn't really have a crush on Donny either, unlike some of my classmates. For me it was David Cassidy and Bobby Sherman were my teen star crushes when I was a tweenie.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 11:01PM

I’m glad that none of my friends or sisters liked the Osmonds.
We liked making fun of their identical looking teeth.
My sister liked the DeFrancos and the Bay City Rollers, so I had some torture growing up.I remember the Tiger Beat and 16 magazines of hers.
I was into The Rolling Stones, LED Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, but I always liked Jazz and Blues the best, still do,

Date: January 30, 2018 11:15PM

Marie has changed so much from plastic surgery she is unrecognizable from when she was 20.

Completely different face and figure, including if she'd aged naturally instead of by medical procedures. Actually they were an improvement for her. She looks better now than she did as a younger woman.

http://starcasm.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Marie_Osmond_before_and_after.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4f/a0/3b/4fa03b24d9728e4d07dc11f128670ea6.jpg

http://www.plasticsurgerypeople.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/marie-osmond-breast-augmentation.jpg

Date: January 30, 2018 11:30PM

I think you are basing that conclusion on the comparisons of photos of an immature teenager with minimal face paint versus an overly made-up mature woman. I don't think those photo are useful for deciding she "looks better now".

If you compare recent photos of her to those prior to all the plastic surgery she looks downright scary.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: January 31, 2018 12:00AM

The last picture of her when she was young looked good. It almost doesn’t look like her.

Date: January 31, 2018 08:03AM

She's had some botched plastic surgery procedures that completely altered her natural appearance.

In recent years she's corrected the mistakes of prior surgeries and now looks more natural even though there isn't much to her looks the way she is now that she hasn't altered.

She's had neck, face, and brow lifts. Implants, botox, liposuction, fillers, tummy and boob jobs. Her teeth appear to have been replaced with implants or veneers.

One brow lift she had late 90's was so contrived it made her look like a space alien or circus clown. Glad to see that's been repaired. Now her face looks in proportion and balanced. Lips no longer overly pouty. In the 2000's she had so much botox or filler in them it gave her the appearance she was constantly snarling or sneering lol. Kind of like a drooling St Bernard.

She looks much better now. She must have found the right plastic surgeon at last. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2018 08:04AM by Amyjo.

Date: January 31, 2018 09:49PM

Mormon issues aside, I've lost a lot of respect for her (Donny too) because they seem to have a penchant for embellishing the truth to gain attention.

Some time ago she revealed she had had breast reduction surgery in her 20's and then said how the critics had commented on her huge breasts when she was in The Sound of Music. But she was in her 30's then. Furthermore, if you look back at photos of her it would be difficult to find any photos of her when she had "huge" breasts. And even more strange is the fact that she made this announcement shortly after it appeared she had actually had breast augmentation surgery.

I've just seen the truth played with a bit at times in order to gain attention.

Date: January 31, 2018 10:23PM

notmonotloggedin Wrote:
> Mormon issues aside, I've lost a lot of respect
> for her (Donny too) because they seem to have a
> penchant for embellishing the truth to gain
> attention.
>
> Some time ago she revealed she had had breast
> reduction surgery in her 20's and then said how
> the critics had commented on her huge breasts when
> she was in The Sound of Music. But she was in her
> 30's then. Furthermore, if you look back at
> photos of her it would be difficult to find any
> photos of her when she had "huge" breasts. And
> even more strange is the fact that she made this
> announcement shortly after it appeared she had
> actually had breast augmentation surgery.
>
> I've just seen the truth played with a bit at
> times in order to gain attention.

In what ways have you seen Donny embellish the truth to gain attention?

Date: January 31, 2018 10:35PM

Date: January 31, 2018 10:48PM

But you didn't have any problem pointing out Marie's.

Date: January 31, 2018 10:22PM

Amyjo Wrote:
> She's had some botched plastic surgery procedures
> that completely altered her natural appearance.
>
> In recent years she's corrected the mistakes of
> prior surgeries and now looks more natural even
> though there isn't much to her looks the way she
> is now that she hasn't altered.
>
> She's had neck, face, and brow lifts. Implants,
> botox, liposuction, fillers, tummy and boob jobs.
> Her teeth appear to have been replaced with
> implants or veneers.
>
> One brow lift she had late 90's was so contrived
> it made her look like a space alien or circus
> clown. Glad to see that's been repaired. Now her
> face looks in proportion and balanced. Lips no
> longer overly pouty. In the 2000's she had so much
> botox or filler in them it gave her the appearance
> she was constantly snarling or sneering lol. Kind
> of like a drooling St Bernard.
>
> She looks much better now. She must have found the
> right plastic surgeon at last. :)

Don't know what the plastic surgery is all about. She is open about her age, and the trauma she has had to deal with in her life. Perhaps it's the pressure of being a celeb and that your livelihood is, in part, based on how your are judged by your looks?

In this thread alone, it has been proclaimed that Jay has not aged well. Marie has had notable plastic surgery (some good, some not so good as AmyJo pointed out)

Her hands show her age, though. I would even say they age her more than her 58 years (living under the bright lights of stage etc, will do that)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.