Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: L.A. Exmo ( )
Date: January 15, 2018 07:51PM

This country is experiencing a Revival of Stupid and I can't help but be concerned about its future. The people quoted in this article not only vote, but probably reproduce. Excerpted from today's (Jan. 15) L.A. Times, p. A-6:

"Yes, they believe the Earth is flat
"Colorado is a hub for those who think the science of the globe is just a conspiracy.

"GOLDEN, Colo. — Moving with missionary zeal, Nathan Thompson swept into a brewpub here bearing a battered globe under his arm with the words 'this is a scam' scrawled on the side… 'They say we are a cult,' he announced, 'but the globe is the biggest cult of all.'

"…With more people rejecting traditional sources of information and the internet giving rise to a variety of alternative worldviews, the granddaddy of all conspiracy theories is enjoying a renaissance and Colorado is the epicenter.

"Thousands of YouTube videos claim the world is flat, gravity is uncertain, space is fake and the curvature of the planet is an illusion… A conspiratorial mindset and a deep current of religious ideology permeate the movement… Many of the most popular flat Earth videos come out of Colorado, host of next year's Flat Earth International Conference along with the Colorado International Flat Earth Film Festival.

"Mark Sargent, a software analyst from Boulder now living in Seattle, is the primary organizer of the movement and has made over 1,000 videos… Sargent… believes Earth is beneath a dome…

"…One of the nation's first meet-ups dedicated to the flat Earth cause convenes weekly at the Purple Cup Cafe in Fort Collins… At a recent meeting, Nathan Nichols, 39, rattled off 'proofs' for a tabular Earth. He said it looks curved from high altitudes because of wide-angle camera lenses. Ships disappear over the horizon because of the limits of human vision.

"Some members believe Earth is surrounded by a wall of ice holding back the seas while others suspect it's an infinite plane. Circumnavigating the world, they explain, is simply traveling in a big circle.

"…Back at the Golden pub, Bob Knodel, a 57-year-old engineer whose 'Globebusters' series has more than 2.6 million views on YouTube, held forth on the flat Earth universe. 'The sun is about 3,419.5 miles away by my calculations. It's not a burning ball of hydrogen gas; it is electrostatic energy,' he said. 'We don’t know how it’s powered.'

"[A sane person] wandered over. 'So you believe the Earth is flat and stationary?' he asked. Thompson jumped in: 'We don't believe, we know. We live in a closed system. The Earth is not spinning. What would keep us on it if it was spinning so fast?' 'Gravity,' said [the sane person]. 'Gravity has never been proven,' Thompson said…'"

Honestly, reading the complete article made me feel like my brain was leaking out of my ears. The morons are marching.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 12:26AM

The sum of intelligence on this planet is finite.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 01:00AM

And I thought Utah held patent on crazies!

Turns out the IMW is close enough;

Arizona gave us Evan Meacham,

Colorado gives us Flat Earth,

How about Utah & Idaho (other than LDS itself)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2018 01:02AM by GNPE.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 01:13AM

I’d rather be a flat earther than a Mormon, although it’s a toss up as to which one is harder to make myself believe. Both are absurdly impossible.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 01:28AM

Ificouldietokolob posted this a long time ago re why the Bible didn't answer the flat/round earth question once and for all.

Illustration of flat earth:

http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/blogs/exploringourmatrix/files/2012/11/Ancient-Hebrew-view-of-universe.png

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 03:33AM

Interesting. With all those "waters of the firmament" around it, it almost looks like a womb...

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 09:25AM

Let's take all the flat-earthers, and strap 'em to a rocket. Fire it up into low-earth orbit. No return capsule is to be provided. They get to see the earth is a globe, and they get to burn up when gravity pulls them back. Solves two problems at once :)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 09:40AM

Interesting that this nonsense sprouts (pun intended) up so vigorously in the state that first legalized marijuana. Something in the water?

Date: January 17, 2018 12:23AM

Here in Colorado we make our pot pies with real pot.

And the world hasn't ended.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 09:47AM

Colorado also has a massive Evangelical presence. Nutjobs from throughout the country flock to the mega-churches of Colorado Springs to learn how to fleece the masses.

Posted by: dog sense ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 10:05AM

I can only guess, but is it possible that everyone who pays taxes, also pays for these crazies to have enough free time to get online and suck in other crazies, also with loads of free time?

I have no problem helping the honestly needy, but if these people have the energy, time and wherewithall to develop this *crap*, how do they support themselves?

I see them as freeloaders, or teenagers ;). Not the same things, but I'm sure the comparison escapes no one.

I'm nearly crippled, nearing 60, will spend at least a half hour clearing and warming my year 2000 GM car to drag my butt into work over hazardous roads, 25 miles away. That's just today. When I get home tonight, I will have neither the energy nor will to feed myself. Tomorrow, a warming trend is to begin, and my unplowed road may begin to melt, where I was stuck for 20 minutes last night.

Flat earthers? Give them a shovel and tell them to get busy. See how their views of how they might want to spend their time might - grow and change. Their perspectives are skewed for many reasons. I wonder how much they make off of youtube views. Lazy. Lazy minds, lazy lives. Lazy can often be fixed by hungry.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 10:46AM

get together for fun and set up a booth at the Flat Earth convention touting these factoids.

1, Quakers inhabit the moon
2. Kolob is also a flat pancake floating in space near the throne of God.
3. Abraham communicated space technology via mummy wraps in the 1800's in Nauvoo, Illinois.
4. The Moon Landing was a hoax and Joseph Fielding Smith, the Mormon prophet proved that.

We could pay our expenses by selling T-shirts, mugs and other worthless schtick to the attendees.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 11:06AM

Hurry, asteroid! Pleas, hurry!

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 11:11AM

Every time I think the human species is somehow evolved, I am reminded that we are just a few genes away from being apes.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 04:22PM

"If the Earth is round," said one anti-globularist, "I'm not special."

It reminded me of something.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 10:36PM

Yes, according to a lot of flat-earther's you'd think the whole
idea of a globe-shaped earth was invented by NASA as part of their
conspiracy. As if ancient Greeks didn't know the earth was round.

The people who KNEW from first-hand experience that the earth was
sphere-shaped were the sailors from the 1500s, 1600s, and 1700s.
They were the ones who made a world-wide maritime industry and
worked out distances from port to port and a system of celestial
navigation by accurately measuring angles to stars (including
that really close one). Those distances and angles make no sense
on a flat earth. They only work on a spherical earth. Why do
flat-earthers think the concept of a "nautical mile" was
invented? If the earth were flat there would be no such thing as
a "nautical mile."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2018 10:37PM by baura.

Posted by: dog sense ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 11:39PM

These guys worked for NASA, but it was such a dark conspiracy, that nobody even knew that NASA existed...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristarchus_of_Samos

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolaus_Copernicus

Sort of like the guys on the grassy knoll.

But I still say that no one can explain Building 7. Still waiting for that.

Date: January 17, 2018 01:38AM

Posted by: Realistic ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 02:21PM

You know how easy it is to fool us all? Yes, we were all fooled into believing the absolute crap story of Mormonism. You think we can't have been fooled many,many times over since then? I question everything, yes, EVERYTHING. N.A.S.A. have already said that they are hoping , in the next few years, to be able to take man out of low earth orbit. Low earth orbit is only 12 hundred miles up. So, start questioning, and don't be fooled into the whole " that's just a conspiracy" Be a Conspiracy Analyst and question every freaking thing about our reality.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.