Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 02:24PM

Someone here said vitamins don't work at all but they definitely do. Everything that was low got raised significantly in 3 months and are all in range except one. So if you ever wonder if taking vitamins daily does anything i can tell you for sure it does. Badass out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 02:47PM

By coincidence, I just bought myself a bottle of vitamins yesterday, hoping that it might help my own situation a little.

Date: January 15, 2018 12:50AM

Well i can tell you they will raise your levels over a 3 month period without a doubt. And i was a skeptic because i don't think they raise levels quickly but over months of time, but it does happen.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 02:48PM

I am very happy for you, Adam. :)

[A shout-out here to my long-deceased Grandma, who was one of the original "health food" pioneers ("they" called them "health food nuts" back then)...

...who, because of her study and dedication, is hugely responsible for my own, continuing and most excellent, health... which I have enjoyed throughout my life.]

Date: January 16, 2018 03:05AM

I might be turning into a health nut. I know how critical it is to be healthy better than most. I got a lot of health sh#t done the last few years for christ's sakes. I even pay attention to what i eat a little more ghaaawd d@mn. Adam the health nut who would have thought? Not the badass that's for sure.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 03:27PM

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 03:36PM

Adam, so glad that you are having some good news and good results!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 09:52PM

Don't get duped into paying big $$ for high-price vitamins. The store brand ones are just as good, and probably come from the same processing plant(s) the fancy-shmancy ones do.

Date: January 15, 2018 12:46AM

Alright will remember that usually i get pretty cheap ones that i think will do the job.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 10:16PM

I take vitamin D to keep up my blood level. My doctor told me to do it, and it works.

Date: January 15, 2018 12:45AM

Yep i did the vitamin D for 3 months and it went up 20 points or whatever you call those measurements.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: January 15, 2018 01:29PM

I'm on the three month mega dose plan since my result was 7 points below the bottom of normal. The LAST time I had to do this it rose almost 40 points in those 3 months. This time I intend to do a better job of taking the maintenance dose so I don't ever have to do the mega dose again.

I'm sometimes a very slow learner with taking supplements.

Date: January 15, 2018 01:38PM

Badassadam1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yep i did the vitamin D for 3 months and it went
> up 20 points or whatever you call those
> measurements.

Good to know. Thanks for sharing. I have been hemming and hawing about taking vitamins (D and Calcuim) because I wasnt sure they really work. But with your results, I have decided to go for it.

Again, thanks Adam. This really helped with my decision making

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: January 15, 2018 01:45PM

D3? That's about all I can find that isn't combined with K or something else.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: January 15, 2018 01:57PM

yes, just plain old D3. That is what the prescribed mega dose is and what the want me to take when I am done with that.

Date: January 15, 2018 03:17PM

My calcium was still low but it did go up, that is a hard one to move up apparently so i upped my calcium dose to 1800mg yesterday.

Date: January 15, 2018 03:21PM

Thanks for the info on that, too.

Date: January 16, 2018 03:12AM

I am allergic to dairy so it makes sense that i am low on calcium and even vitamin D. I think those two you get from dairy, maybe just the calcium. I almost died when i was little when i first drank milk but the badass lived to see many more days to bring this info to you today about vitamins and calcium haha. Strange where the road of life goes, never thought i would be on a recovery site that is for sure in my life.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 12:22AM

Ordinarily, I would pop a multi-vitamin and let it go at that. However, I have a fairly nasty hereditary kidney condition. Many years ago, I was told to take not only a heavy-duty multi-vitamin, but also, additional B12, D3, cranberry extract capsules, and flaxseed oil ( because I can't tolerate fish oil.) I was also ordered to increase the amount of Vitamin C I was taking.

Most things involving chemistry/pharmacology are over my head. When my nephrologist gives me a very specific order about vitamins or supplements, I don't argue. Those guys know my kidneys better than I do.

Date: January 16, 2018 01:14AM

Yea vitamins are over my head as well, i just did exactly what the nuerologist told me to do. I had pretty nasty pain in my legs so i could not mess around about this.

Date: January 16, 2018 03:15AM

I heard multi-vitamins are a bad idea. So i keep it very specific to what i need and nothing more. Maybe its because a multi-vitamin gives you a bunch of stuff that your body does not actually need and you can just get it from food instead.

Posted by: tutu ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 09:42AM

So many people have digestive issues that I recommend
the sublingual lozenge.....melts under the tongue.

It's works in our family.

I like Twinlab.

Tutu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2018 09:42AM by tutu.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 09:56AM

Of course vitamins "work." Take a vitamin supplement, you'll have more of that vitamin in your bloodstream.

The thing is...most people get more than what they need in "vitamins" from their normal daily food. Those that don't, or that have specific deficiencies, can and should take supplemental vitamins (after testing to determine what you're deficient in). For most other people, buying vitamins is simply buying expensive pee.

The vast majority of "mega-dose" benefit claims are also completely bunk. There are a very few instances where specific high doses of vitamins are beneficial for specific illnesses (like iron supplements for anemia), but mega-dosing on Vitamin C for a "cold" is completely worthless (yet you still see claims that it "works" all over the internet).

Vitamin D supplements are really useful for people who don't get any/enough sun, and who don't drink much/any milk (which has Vitamin D added). We know that not from anecdotal stories of self-supplementing people who claim it "works," but from dozens of properly-conducted scientific studies. Which is also how we know mega-dosing Vitamin C doesn't stop/slow down a cold.

Stick with the science, Adam. You'll do fine. :)

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 10:10AM

Date: January 16, 2018 12:42PM

The badass is turning into a science man. The blood test results were good enough for me. And the badass is allergic to milk so i need the supplements. I will always be deficient in calcium and vitamin D.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 12:51PM

Great!

I know it's tough in Idaho in the winter, but...get more sun. Your body will make all the Vitamin D you need if you get 30-60 minutes of sun on your skin a day :)

Date: January 16, 2018 02:58PM

It is d@mn tough in idaho in the winter. The body does not like it one bit.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 01:47PM

Are you talking about vitamens in general or a specific

vitamen?

Date: January 16, 2018 03:02PM

saucie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you talking about vitamens in general or a
> specific
>
> vitamen?

Well the vitamins and minerals that i take specifically work. Vit D, Iron, and calcium i know that much. Not sure about the rest. Maybe all vitamins work based on the few i have done, i would assume so. The only way to know is to get a blood test before taking them and then take another blood test about 3 months later.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.