Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tutu ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 10:40AM

I'm wondering how I would have handled those 38 minutes before getting the next alert...............false alarm.

YIKES!!!!!!

Where to go? Did the Mormons go to a chapel? Temple?

Did the exmos go inside a special building?

I'm wondering.

The instructions are to take cover. OK but where?

Were you on the Island? Did you pray? I heard there were a lot of people saying "I love you".....
I know some hid in their homes. And many left the beach area.
8 AM their time I believe....

SUCKS.....So grateful my ohana is safe. No missile the button was pushed in error. HOLY Heavens above.....Crazy times we live in.................
Tutu

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 11:25AM

Sex, everyone who could would be getting busy!!!

At least that's how the soon-to-be-made movie will have it.

Oh, yeah, and people finally saying what they have been holding back due to likely unfavorable future consequences. After all, if you don't think there is a future....

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 12:21PM

False alarm? Noooo, let me finish!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 12:02PM

There isn't somewhere safe to run for the hordes of people living on Hawaii.

Had it been an actual threat they would've had only 15-20 minutes to find shelter somewhere. Or shelter in place.

As if nerves weren't already running high with the threat of war between N Korea and the US.

Date: January 14, 2018 12:35PM

What a Go-Fund-Me page that would be !!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 12:38PM

someone pressed a wrong button and still has a job.

Date: January 14, 2018 12:43PM

The article states that after pressing the wrong button, a screen prompt came up: "are you sure you want to call this alert?" (Paraphrasing...)

The article does detail what happened next, or why.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 12:38PM

There is no shelter in the likelihood of a nuclear attack.

Go sit on the beach with a beer (or many.) Relish the beauty of nature one last time.

Those poor people. Had it been me, I would be looking at several months of nightmares. I may anyway. After all, that's how I endured the entire Reagan presidency.

Date: January 14, 2018 01:00PM

What people don't know is that we have fairly good defense against the very limited type of ballistic missile attack that could be launched by the north koreans.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 01:04PM

When they’re not launching washing machines into space.

Date: January 14, 2018 01:08PM

The problem comes when people bank on the idea that some other system is going to save them (not to mention the world) and deterrence goes right out the window.

That's why N. Korea is hell bent on getting usable nukes. They want some deterrence leverage. I don't blame them. They feel threatened by the West. (They meaning their nut job government.)

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 01:10PM

I'm hopeful someone in the Kim regime will take him down so an outside military force won't have to.

Date: January 14, 2018 02:40PM

From what I’ve heard they’re all petrified by him. He has killed a ton of his advisors and just keeps killing more. Pretty tragic for all of us.

Date: January 14, 2018 01:13PM

“Arizona Senate candidate Joe Arpaio, the controversial former sheriff of Maricopa County and an outspoken "birther," said Saturday he is not surprised that Hawaiians received an erroneous emergency mobile alert about an imminent ballistic missile attack because "there's something wrong with that government."

During an interview Saturday night with Fox News' Jeanine Pirro, Arpaio was asked for his thoughts on the alert, which turned out to be false and the result of human error.

"I don’t want to get into it," Arpaio said, "but I know doing a certain investigation on a fake, fraudulent government document. They can’t even solve that case. They don’t even want to look at it. So either they’re incompetent or there’s something behind it."

Pirro didn't let those remarks go unchallenged, telling Arpaio, 85, "I got to push back on that a little bit. That document, the long-form, was filed. Let’s put that way. Let’s talk about what happened today in Hawaii. You had some specific thoughts about today."

Arpaio said, "Well, the only thing I’m saying is they can’t even solve a phony document. So now they’ve got a problem. There’s something wrong with that government."

Posted by: Keith Vaught ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 01:14PM

A photographer friend was on the beach with friends. She said that no one in her group panicked. If it was headed their way, there wasn't enough time. Instead they "sat, shooting, laughing, and making the most of what may have been our last moments on earth." She also made a few calls, spoke to her daughters, and told them she loved them.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 10:22AM

I'm heading to Hawaii on the 27th and my comment is I would grab a beer, sit on the beach and watch the fire works. If I have to go Hawaii seems like a nice place to be.

Cartoon from the Mpls paper today:

http://www.startribune.com/sack-cartoon-false-alarm-on-hawaii-bound-missile/469629063/

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 01:18PM

Kevin Bacon tells Millennials about the Cold War.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09q04Dlh7r8

Date: January 14, 2018 01:24PM

Take THAT you damn millenials !

I can't even call Blockbuster on my rotary phone anymore !

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 01:54PM

I wonder if there is going to be spike in the birth rate 9 months from now.

Date: January 14, 2018 01:58PM

you beat me to the punch line

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 03:08PM

Dave T-A:

Lets remind each other around first/second week of October to check what happening over there.

Date: January 14, 2018 01:58PM

I've given your observation a lot of thought, and I'm saying, only among the women.

Date: January 14, 2018 02:56PM

Headline ...

"During the Hawaiian False Alarm, Atheists Didn’t Suddenly Find God"

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 03:02PM

Seeing a father trying to stuff his kids into a manhole was a tear-jerker. The child was crying, "I don't wanna go in there". I couldn't even imagine the desperation of that parent.

The whole thing is a true nightmare.

The headlines we got was that it occurred due to a "shift change". I don't even know what that means. Some end of shift handover regimen that went horribly wrong? Else how could that be any kind of explanation or excuse for what occurred?

End of shift at the hospital, we would just give report and hand over our patients to the next group of carers. No alarms were set off, accidentally or otherwise. Staff comes and goes, status quo maintained.

It must be a lot different when it comes to national security procedures (obviously, I guess). But yow, what a terrible human? error.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2018 03:05PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Dirty Tricks ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 04:31PM

The most likely nuclear attack is not by a ballistic weapon, but a truck-delivered dirty bomb, and the most likely target is not Hawaii, but DC. Pure supposition on my part, but I think another target would be the major ports of the West Coast. Talk about cutting SLOCs, that would be cheaply, highly effective. Contaminated metal would be unusable.

Even in DC, it would be days before help could go into the hot zones, and survivors would be on their own during that period.

If POTUS can contain himself in not revealing where our subs might be lurking, I think NK considering itself as expendable in one go might be a healthy attitude for them, not that anything about NK is "healthy." That this POTUS, like NK, expresses a willingness to use his "button" speaks volumes to both regimes.

Posted by: richardthebad (not logged in) ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 04:32PM

If it had been real, they certainly wouldn't have had 38 minutes to ponder it.

I have friends there on vacation. They grabbed some drinks and headed to the beach.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 10:27PM

She slept through the entire affair; I guess she was on call late... I'm told her son called her after the "all clear" was issued...

BTW, she's an unbeliever like all of my immediate family...

Posted by: lostmypasword ( )
Date: January 15, 2018 01:33AM

My sister lives in a rural area on Hawaii. She said "No reason to make the bed, made a cup of tea."

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: January 15, 2018 03:36AM

I live on the Leeward side of Oahu in the Ko'Olina Resort. DH and I had just walked through the front door back from playing tennis when the emergency warning came on my cell phone. It was 8:07 AM. I showed the message to my DH. He didn't get the message on his phone. We google searched for news....but nothing came up. We walked outside in order to hear the air raid sirens....but heard nothing. So... we decided to keep to our schedule.

I drove into our small town, filled up the car at the gas station and took it through the car wash. I then stopped off at the grocery store to do my weekly shopping. After I left the grocery store, I briefly thought about stopping in at the nail salon to get a mani/pedi but decided I ought to get back home before the ice cream melted...

DH got out his bike and left for the beach for his swim/run through the lagoons. Later he took his motorcycle down to the marina to go sailing with friends. I had a painting to complete so I stayed home to work on it. After a late lunch, we sat out on our beautiful lanai and enjoyed a dish of ice cream. In the early evening we took a sunset stroll along the beachfront of the lagoons....

Just another day in Paradise! :)

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: January 15, 2018 07:30AM

A friend of mine is currently teaching down in Hawaii. She said that the most terrifying thing about all of it was that she realized she had nowhere safe to go. She essentially spent the better part of 30 minutes (saw the notification late) waiting to die. I don't know how I would respond to something like that, but I can't imagine I would take it well. The thing that concerns me most now is that with one false alarm in the books, how quick will people be to respond if the real thing were to happen?

Date: January 15, 2018 08:34AM

What difference does it make? There is no response.

Posted by: tutu ( )
Date: January 15, 2018 09:11AM

My TBM Dad & his caregiver didn't know about it until after the fact.

My brother had been kayaking....just back & on the sand when he heard people talking about it.
He drove home to his house/wife. They drank tea & waited.

My sister thought someone hacked her cell.....I guess she ignored it.

I didn't hear about anyone who panicked.
Brother said everyone seemed calm.
Altho his wife insisted he drive home.

I've grateful I wasn't there visiting.
I wouldn't have told my elderly Dad.
I'm sure I'd have called my Brother ..... then my mainland family.

Tutu

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: January 15, 2018 11:52AM

What an unbelievably horrible thing to have to experience, but also how thrilling it had to have been to learn it was a false alert. Then the anger sets in.

On the bright side, it made an opportunity for Senator Tulsi Gabbard to go on a National Political show and tell the truth about American foreign policy. This truth telling rarely happens in the MSM:

http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/video/rep-tulsi-gabbard-responds-false-alarm-incoming-missile-52339440

So rare is this, I actually wrote the Senator to thank her.

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: January 15, 2018 12:12PM

I really like US Representative Tulsi Gabbard - she's not yet our Senator, but no doubt will be someday! I hope she becomes our POTUS! This is classic tell it like it is - no spin - for her!

Date: January 15, 2018 12:19PM

Oh what a terrible mistake. Right, Representative Gabbard. I addressed her as Senator in my letter to her as well. Yikes!

Dems calling on Oprah is absolute madness. President Gabbard, that would be much better for America and the world. I like that idea very much.

Date: January 17, 2018 09:32AM

Tulsi Gabbard with The Intercept’s Jeremy Scahill:

https://theintercept.com/2018/01/17/intercepted-podcast-white-mirror/

She gets it, she really gets it. I hope she is more on everybody’s radar than she was before. Politically, she’s the complete package, former soldier, even.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: January 15, 2018 12:17PM

We were joking about it, and discussing how they really had nowhere to go. They didn't do anything but continue to talk with us, and I mentioned that I hoped that our skype connection didn't suddenly drop. We were also joking that Trump's elbow had nudged the BIGGEST-red-button by mistake.

Shortly there after the "ignore that last message" message came down.

What surprised me was how little the seriousness of the moment really captured our attention. We gave it a shrug and a laugh and a few jokes. The seriousness actually came later for me afterwards.

Posted by: imsosure ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 11:06AM

Oh, you mean the cyber security breach that sent out the false alarm that's being covered up with a silly story about how some poor guy just hit the wrong button?

The truth is far scarier: the U.S. was hacked.

Posted by: Liz ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 11:41AM

Apparently the news reported Japan had a similar ‘mistaken’ alert the day after Hawaii, but the retraction was sent mere minutes later. Not a lot in the news about it, but two ‘mistakes in two days? It was verified it happened, so my thought went to the idea of no coincidences.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.