Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 02:18AM

I just bought a ticket to see the matinee of "Treasure of The Sierra Madre" at a local theater tomorrow. This is one of the Fathom Events that I've gone to several times in the last few years.

I have a vague recollection seeing it maybe 50 years ago on my parent's black and white TV.

In Utah, Kennecott Copper Co. sponsored a Sunday Night movie and my dad told me I would like this movie. I think I liked it and why I haven't made an effort to see it again, I'm not sure. But it should be fun!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 02:48AM

HB made a LOT OF FILMS!
Treasure of SM is definitely one of his Best;
All (at least Most) Humphrey Bogart movies are Great, I'm filling my collection with the lesser-knowns.

HB, Warner Brothers seem to have hit their stride together with writers, producers, & directors!!

My Best list:

Casablanca, African Queen, Key Largo, Maltese Falcon, To Have & Have Not (wth Walter "Did you ever step on a dead bee?" Brennan!)

I hope you see & enjoy them ALL!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2018 04:06AM by GNPE.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 09:56AM

If you’re going to shoot, shoot. You’d be doing us both a favor.

Date: January 14, 2018 02:24PM

I saw The Maltese Falcon as a Fathom Event last year. I'd seen it on TV but this was a new experience.

Last year, I also say "All About Eve" which I'd seen once years before and was one of about 10 people in the theater. I loved it.

That happened also when I saw PYSCHO, at a little theater in Bountiful just about a year ago. I was THE ONLY PERSON in the theater. I was just disappointed that not more people would go to see this.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 09:49AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 10:26AM

That movie was a part of the curriculum of my film studies class in college. Enjoy!

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 10:28AM

Fathom Events show some amazing things. I have seen several movies and Broadway Musicals on the big screen through them.

Date: January 14, 2018 02:21PM

I started going to Fathom Events when I lived in Las Vegas and I think my favorite was "Company", the Broadway musical that was presented as more of a concert event, not much staging. Neil Patrick Harris had the role of Robert and Patti LuPone was in it also, plus a big cast of Broadway people. Stephen Colbert was in it also, and he said that he'd never sung on Broadway so it was a new experience.

I also really liked the production of the musical version of "Billy Elliot". This was presented from the stage in the UK and featured several boys who had played Billy on stage doing some of the chorus.

The only bad experience I had was trying to see "Driving Miss Daisy" with Angela Lansbury and James Earl Jones, but things turned out OK.

It was recorded onstage in Australia. About 30 minutes into it, the screen went dark and the manager came out to say they wouldn't be able to continue, the "stream" was down from Denver, where it came to them. I got my money back, plus the theater gave us a pass for future use. Then I had an email from Fathom, asking how I liked it etc. I gave them the details, including what happened and they emailed me a pass for another Fathom Event. I still haven't seen that version of it.

Anyway, I figure that all of the movies that come in the theaters currently will be available to rent or stream within 6 months or so, so I don't go to many movies when they are in the theater.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 10:32AM

Badges?

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 10:56AM

.....we don’t need no stinking badges!

Posted by: Boggie ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 12:32PM

Sorry, bobofitz. You’ve made a standard rookie mistake.

Dobbs: "If you're the police, then where are your badges?"

Gold Hat: "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!”

Date: January 14, 2018 02:05PM

I've heard that phrase for years but didn't know that it came from this movie.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: January 25, 2018 04:12PM

Thanks, an admitted rookie always appreciates the guidance of a pro.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.