Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Titanic Survivor ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 12:19PM

Jan. 12 article in The New Republic.

'Mormonism’s Crisis of Faith'

Backlash against an obituary of its late prophet Thomas S. Monson reveals the existential doubts gnawing at the modern church.
https://newrepublic.com/article/146589/mormonisms-crisis-faith

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 01:01PM

how could any one have any doubts about rock solid "preposterous" MORmONISM ?????, especially with MORmON leaders at the helm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K88-oo4VZXg

Date: January 13, 2018 01:07PM

If anybody ever doubted the validity of MORmONISM then they only need see what has come to pass .....then it will be OBVIOUS that MORmONISM is an utter sham !!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIkVNWHT-IA

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 01:19PM

That was an excellent lay of the land for Mormons who find themselves caught between a rock and a hard place.

I found this to be the heart of the matter:

" . . . by canonizing the words of its modern prophets, to later revise that doctrine in light of secular advances would be to discredit scripture. Imagine if, after Moses’s death, his successor Joshua had decided to grab a hammer and chisel and make some light edits to the Ten Commandments.So now church leaders must constantly contend with the words of previous prophets, or risk throwing the entire enterprise into question. And to complicate things even more, the church’s membership has been conditioned to defend a crystallized dogma at all cost."

Except I see current Mormon leadership attempting to slowly but surely "uncannonize" their earlier prophets words. They have thrown Brigham Young under the bus already more or less, but they are at a loss as to what to do with Joseph himself, the founder. There could still be a Mormon church even after throwing Joseph under the bus too and admitting what he was, but you can't anymore have a "one true restored church" with the priesthood directly from God if you do that. The restoration and the priesthood all came from Joe. So the Mormons have to shore up Joe or lose all.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 02:19PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I found this to be the heart of the matter:

I totally agree.

Or put another way: Mormonism's truth-claims are the rope with which they will hang themselves.

The only way to slip the noose requires younger, more progressive thinkers, so when you're run by octogenerians (or older, good gawd!) the chances of that happening are slim.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 01:12PM

We have seen something similar, in that the Roman Catholic church once considered all Protestants (and all others not in their baptism and communion) to be damned, lost souls. Now the RC church calls them "separated bretheren."

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 01:14PM

Haha. I love that---"separated brethren."

How long before us ExMos are called the "Mormon challenged?"

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 10:16AM

More like mormonism's crisis of reason.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 11:24AM

Here is a crazy thought for the church leaders: Tell the truth and prevent more harm. Although they would have to be good people to do so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2018 11:26AM by Atari.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 12:45PM

1.7% per yr growth is "exponential" when you maintain the worlds biggest full time sales force of 70k cult recruiters?
I quit reading after seeing the author has no idea what the word "exponential" means.
If I owned a company that employed an army of 70,000 salesmen, who failed to produce more than 2% growth/yr Id rethink my business model.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2018 12:48PM by koriwhore.

Date: January 17, 2018 02:29AM

koriwhore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> If I owned a company that employed an army of
> 70,000 salesmen, who failed to produce more than
> 2% growth/yr Id rethink my business model.

....or perhaps your product line !!!!

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 06:31AM

"....or perhaps your product line !!!!"

lol What is the current product?

An Imaginary solution for misplacing car keys?
An Imaginary cure for illness?
An Imaginary better quality of life after dying? (and lots of wives for the men who purchased the premium version of the product).

and yet they implicitly state in the small print, that you may not even receive any of these things anyway as it's conditional on aiming for some kind of perfection and blind obedience to the leaders selling this product.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2018 06:34AM by Zeezromp.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 12:59PM

The LDS brand has got a LONG TERM Faith Crisis alright - MIGHTY DOUBTS - to go with it's Identity Crisis. It's sleep walking. Guessing GAMES. Using FEAR rather than LOVE (which is less accessible the less you use it). Taking SHOTS in the DARK.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 02:51PM

Fear seems to be loosing it's grip, at least in the industrialized nations - society's;

People are realizing that scientific & logical thoughts get vastly better results than snakes, speaking in tongues, etc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2018 02:53PM by GNPE.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: January 17, 2018 11:43AM

They have painted themselves into a corner and have to live with it.

First, they insist absolute obedience to the current prophet on things great and trivial.

Then sometime later on those "revealed truths" become unpopular or inconvenient to the LDS Church--particularly the business enterprise or the interests of the ruling class.

However, the members start to wonder if the articles of faith ought to read thus:

1. We believe in what the current guy in charge says.

2. We especially believe in what the current guy in charge said most recently.

3. When the current guy in charge is no longer in charge, the effect of his teachings diminishes.

4. Did I mention that we believe in doing what the current guy in charge says?

5. A woman is never the guy in charge.

6. Unless the guy in charge says women may be the guy in charge, in which case there will be a gal in charge.

7. At the last day, Jesus Christ will resume his duties as guy in charge.

8. Those who cling to teachings of past guys in charge that contradict those of the current guy in charge are guilty of apostasy.

9. What the guy in charge says is the absolute TRUTH...until the new guy in charge says something that is different in which case the new TRUTH is operative.

10. The guy in charge is known as the prophet, unless the guy in charge designates a new title.

11. The guy in charge is in charge, even in the event his name is not Charles.

12. The guy in charge may propose crazy stuff, but the guy in charge speaks for God!, so get over it.

13. The guy in charge is in charge. No exceptions, all sales are final.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 18, 2018 03:19AM

They've always had a cry-fuss of face.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.