Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 12, 2018 09:05AM

Has anyone read American Gods or watched the miniseries? I watched the first season last year and read the book.

It's an interesting perspective on religion and how gods are born through the faith of their worshippers, and how they die when their worshippers vanish. In American Gods, most of them come with immigrants and stay here, evolving with the culture. There are also new gods created purely American, like media, technology, etc.

I think the side stories told by Anancy are more interesting than the main plot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 12, 2018 11:45AM

Yes, I'm kind of a Gaimanaholic. Became that because I read American Gods as a book club read. It was so poignant in my early exmo days. And it was a genre I never thought I was interested in but got a little hooked.

Have you seen this:

https://www.geek.com/comics/the-sandmans-death-cinamon-hadley-has-passed-away-at-48-1727353/

I grew up with Cinamon's father's family. Uber TBMs. I was in high school when Cinamon was born in my hometown and then connected with them again when we lived in Provo and my own daughter was young and dancing at the studio where Cinamon was a principal dancer (they were connected to BYU). She (Cinamon) was the Sugar Plum Fairy in the Nutcracker and was absolutely amazing. She moved to New York to pursue her dancing and somewhere in there, she made the transition from mormonism to what must have been her true inner self. I understand that she was amazingly talented in whatever she pursued. I always thought that she had to be the most interesting person ever and wished I'd known her as an adult. I'd imagine that her mormon family was very accepting, they're that kind of people.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: January 12, 2018 12:42PM

I've read the book and seen season 1 of the series. I love it!
And Anansi's stories are definitely worth reading.

I still need to read Anansi Boys, which is set in the same world as American Gods.

Posted by: Calico ( )
Date: January 12, 2018 01:20PM

Love the book, have mixed feelings about the series. Story line isn't always my favourite, but several of the actors are top notch in it. Especially Ian McShane as Wednsday and Pablo Schreider as Mad Sweeney. I will watch season 2 anyway, hope I like it better.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 03:40AM

Loved the book, haven't seen the series. Gaiman is very talented.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.