Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 12, 2018 12:58AM

I'm going to make myself very unpopular here, I fear, but here goes: I found this in very poor taste. There are those of us for whom the world is incredibly confusing, and order and predictability are prized things.

It took me decades to figure out that for most people the world was not nearly as confusing as it was/is for me. As with many people, it always seemed like everybody else was playing a game to which they knew all the rules innately. I craved somebody to stop and explain the rules to me. Because I was academically inclined people decided that I could figure it all out on my own. I didn't until I was at the age when most people are finished with their careers. So making fun of people like me is, in my opinion, just not funny.

This has implications for Mormonism. People like me cannot understand why anybody would ever say anything that wasn't 100% true, or at least according to their best information. So when somebody says they know the church is true, we automatically assume they have really explored all the alternatives and data and explanations and deduced their conclusion with the best Sherlock Holmes rigor. Then when we don't get the same result we are told that it is our fault for not feeling correctly. If we only tried harder we could feel the presence of the Spirit, and that is enough. For us it is not enough. We can only be convinced by a preponderance of evidence. So who is normal here? Is "normal" the optimum goal? Or is maybe "right" a better target?

Thank you for my rant.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 12, 2018 01:13AM

Yes, very, very poor taste.

In fact, most prison officials wouldn't have gone along with that. I think they were actors, and the whole thing was scripted.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: January 12, 2018 05:01AM

I agree, only one minute in and this is most definitely bollocks. No autistic person would be as rude as he was before the tape was shown, nor as excitable during the interview.

fake

fake

shame on the creators. I sincerely hope the reporter was faking because that if he's not in on the joke this is satire in the worst possible taste - the joke is ON the reporter, not laughing WITH the reporter.

Mockery and bullying. NOT funny, imo.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 12, 2018 06:22AM

Yes, there’s the vagaries of LLMFs.

Lie loving motherfuckers.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 12, 2018 01:16AM

Relax. It's satire.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: January 12, 2018 06:58AM

'ONN' is the Onion News Network. It is completely satire.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.