Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ohdeargoodness nli ( )
Date: January 11, 2018 12:36AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 11, 2018 09:38AM

Thanks, Ohdeargoodness. As someone who has been "gaslit", I recognize a lot of what is said.

Tom in Paris

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 11, 2018 10:21AM

I was gaslit to the extreme once. This was a trip down memory lane. There was a very strong attempt just like the author points out to make me feel "crazy, paranoid and full of drama" as the other person cheated. I came close to buying it but didn't in the end. I credit my experience years earlier of trusting my own gut to see through the Mormon church as the reason I didn't fall for it in the end because I was on the edge. Escaping Mormonism inoculated me---I hope.

What I noticed was how much this explains a lot about a frequent topic on RFM---Why do highly intelligent people stay in Mormonism?

In this article it is explained that gas lighting actually works best on highly intelligent people who have good relationship skills and expect to work together. So this paragraph really caught my attention:

"When you are gaslighting, you see the narrative that the other person wants the relationship to follow and you then go about setting how that fits in with what you want. As a result, you do little things over an extended period of time that increases the likelihood that the partner will accept your narrative over their own."

In Mormonism, you do end up wanting not what you want, but what they want you to want.

What's the difference between "You think I'm cheating, you're paranoid. You need to get a handle on that." and, "You didn't get an answer to your prayers? You're not worthy. You need to try harder to do it like we say."

?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.