Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 11:40AM

"My object in going to inquire of the Lord was to know which of all the sects was right, that I might know which to join. No sooner, therefore, did I get possession of myself, so as to be able to speak, than I asked the personages who stood above me in the light, which of all the sects was right — and which I should join. I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong, and the personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in His sight: that those professors were all corrupt . . ."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 11:47AM

Very useful and convenient hate speech. Very necessary if you need to discredit everyone else in order to achieve your goal. Blow everyone else's candle out so that yours will be perceived as a bright light when in fact it is very dim.

And exactly what the Mormon church did calling the Catholic Church an abomination as well as all the others right up until it became unacceptable and politically incorrect.

Posted by: AnonFromMissouri ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 01:23PM

As much as I agree that Joe Smith's writing is total baloney, the term "hate speech" is total baloney too. Anyone and everyone is free to say whatever they want to say, and if it happens to hurt some snowflake's feelings, well, my rights trump your feelings. Sorry.

Date: January 10, 2018 01:48PM

Being free to say whatever you want to say does not negate the fact that your words may be hateful. Hateful words inspire hateful actions.

You are free to call someone else's beliefs or creed an abomination. But,just because you are free to do it does not mean it's not hateful.

Telling Blacks they were free to use the back door or not come in at all was free speech. Not attaching hate to that is bigotry.

And "snowflake feelings?" Puhleeze. Is that all you got? If you are going for the ad hominem why not ramp it up a bit?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 08:29PM

D&D, not that I agree with the poster above (I don't), but...

Surely there's a huge difference between saying that god told you peoples' beliefs are "an abomination," and telling human beings they must use a back door or not enter someplace, under threat of physical harm or death.

And that is, IMHO, the real difference: "hate speech" advocates or encourages harmful/violent action. It isn't just criticism.

"Kill all the n*ggers" is hate speech.
"God says all religions but mine are wrong" isn't.

"God says all religions but mine are wrong, and I should kill everyone who isn't mormon" is. :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2018 08:30PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Date: January 10, 2018 08:59PM

You have a point Hie. Shall I admit it or not? haha.

Yeah we are more in a gray area than full on Westboro Baptist territory. I will admit to that.

But, Sticks and Stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me? Wrong. A gang chasing me calling me what I was called hurt as bad as a two by four to the knee but in a different way. I got away before the beating. Climbed a 8 foot chain link fence barefoot and over the barbwire. But those guys were inspired by just words they had heard. Doesn't take much sometimes. This was Provo by the way.

We can call it a spectrum if everyone likes. Or maybe sliding scale is better.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 02:00PM

Hateful actions start out as ideas, then speech. Best to call that shit out when it's still just words and dissuade those who would take that next step.

It's not that feelings are hurt, it's that potential action is discouraged.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.