Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 11:08AM

So, even though I left the church, I still receive relief society emails once a week. They basically say what lessons to expect in the upcoming week, births, deaths, and church cleaning assignments. This weeks'email talked about upcoming lessons for the next couple months, and then there was this little ditty: "May we remember the humility of Elder Eyring and his willingness to appreciate the value of repetition in our eternal progression: "why is the Lord underlining that for me? and what have I yet to learn..?" Hitler said something to that effect: "If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed." So much for the value of repetition.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: No login ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 11:21AM

Only as an ex-Mormon was I able to realize how weird fast and testimony meeting is. It is also based in repetition.

Posted by: not logged in ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 11:28AM

Also part of the mission strategy. When a missionary tells the made up story about Smith in the grove meeting gawd and bears his testimony that it's true, it may be the first time the potential convert has heard it but it's the hundredth time that week the missionary has repeated it and convinced himself that it's true.

Posted by: frackenmess ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 12:30PM

Perhaps you need to speak to the Bishop, ask him for money.

Repeat this, "I need money" every week.

You will fall by the wayside and those emails will end.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 01:07PM

Churches and sometimes media used it to indoctrinate and to sell toothpaste.

Remember when we had to repeat a little ditty at the beginning of each primary and mutual class? What a bore and how worthless.

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 09:50PM

Fast and testimony meetings are like a waltz in the cult's echo chamber.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 09:52PM

A waltz in 2/4 time—clunky and missing a beat!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 10:03PM

It is part and parcel of the brainwashing process, week after week, year after year.

That's the value it has for guys like Eyring to make cockamamie statements that keep the minions on the edge of their seats.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2018 10:04PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 10:15PM

Classic cult manipulation. Take a look at this list, and see how many apply to mormonism.

https://thewisesloth.com/religion/preaching-witnessing-arguing-christianity/15-mind-control-techniques-churches-cults-use/

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 11, 2018 11:28PM

I know why they [IT - TMC] (members) always wanted me to have a testimony; it was not for me but for them (the 'church'/ members); it was so they [IT] could feel better about nothing, more comfortable with thoughtlessness, and have less to feel/ think/ talk about.

I never repeated the Joseph Smith propaganda. Never believed/ trusted in it or him. The only thing I repeated was WHEN ARE WE GOING TO GET OUT OF HERE? WTF is this S HI T? YOU ALL BELIEVE THIS CRAP? Stuff like that

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.