Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 10:00AM

Because you can't make this stuff up.

I get the rest of it. The Mormonphobia is something new. Or maybe not considering the anti-gay bashing stems from its bowels.

"SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake County has joined a handful of other Utah cities and counties urging state lawmakers to pass stricter hate crimes laws.

The County Council unanimously approved a resolution Tuesday urging the Utah Legislature to beef up laws to address crimes that target people because of their race, religion or sexual orientation.

County Councilman Arlyn Bradshaw, who helped draft an initial version of the resolution, spoke of how the June 2016 shooting at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida, that left 49 people dead affected him personally. Bradshaw is openly gay.

"I ugly cried when I heard about it," he said. "I still get emotional thinking about it."

Bradshaw also recalled an incident a year earlier in his neighborhood when two men walking home from a Christmas party were attacked by some men shouting anti-gay slurs.

Bradshaw, a Democrat, and Republican Councilman Michael Jensen sponsored the resolution — but a second version of the resolution was adopted after Councilman Richard Snelgrove offered a more detailed draft with a more expansive list of religious groups known to be targeted, including Jews, Mormons, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, Jehovah's Witnesses, Orthodox Christians and others.

"I'd like to see less hate in our community," Snelgrove said. "Less racism. Less homophobia. Less Islamophobia. Less Mormonphobia. Less anti-Semitism. It's just not right to have in our community.""

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900007211/salt-lake-county-joins-movement-to-sharpen-utah-hate-crime-laws.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 10:29AM

So now LD$ Inc. can accuse RfM of "mormonphobia".
Let the persecution begin !

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 10:29AM

Well, to be honest, everybody has their phobias. When it comes to religion, probably only Evangelicals and JWs would be below Mormons on my list of favorite religious people (as a group).

That said, there still should be stronger penalties for crimes committed against people, strictly because of your phobia. That goes for Mormonphobia too. And it IS a thing. I'd be as furious about someone attacking any of my family members because of their religion as I would be about someone attacking people because they're black or gay or Muslim.

Now punching their lights out because they yell homophobic slurs at people due to the fact that they are mormon... that's a different story.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 10:51AM

This sort of thing was predicted when people advocated for hate crime laws to protect LGBQ2 people. It is pernicious.

I know it is unpopular to be against hate crime laws. I am. The following is simplistic, I know, but true: the guy who gets punched in the head for wearing the wrong hockey jersey and the guy who gets punched in the head for wearing his nails polished were both assaulted equally.

Categorizing people into groups and creating special laws just for them is not a good place to start to address hate etc. How many groups should we create? Based on what criteria?

This is no joke: there are bankers and Wall Street types already talking about hate crimes against them, as bankers, financiers rich people. Imagine this black mirror opening to place where it is illegal to say that you hate the fucking financiers who just raided your father’s pension. That’s where this is headed, where it is a crime to hate those who have power over you.

In related news: Brazil is following France down the rabbit hole of government internet censorship, all in the name of heroically cleaning up “fake news”. Guess what news will be considered fake?

SJW types, while well intentioned, never stopped to think that in the end it will be the powerful who will be protected via censorship and protected from our hatred for them.

Human, slippery-slope looker-outer

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 11:13AM

Speaking slippery-slopely, there's also slippery sloppily:

This is Salt Lake County, not Salt Lake City. I know it doesn't change the tenor of the conversation, but precision ought always to be maintained.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 11:13AM

What’s wrong with thought crime laws?

Date: January 10, 2018 05:37PM

In the current climate there's also the bias directed by some cops against minority groups - just for looking the wrong way - or being different.

What laws are there to protect innocent black men or women from being shot while reaching for their wallet inside their car because a certain cop doesn't like their "look?"

It seems the cops have been getting away with plenty of hate crimes lately and the law has been on their side overall given the number of acquittals on their behalf. Despite video tape and body cam evidence to the contrary showing the victim was defenseless and unable to do anything in self-defense.
Without human rights laws and intervention there would be more mayhem than there already is. There is always going to be the potential for the 'slippery slope' as in where do we go from here mentality. But without laws on the books to punish those who break them there would be no civic order or a sense of justice in trying to obtain a measure of peace for crime victims.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 11:22AM

Seems to be a lot of that in Utah.

Posted by: nevermojohn ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 11:44AM

Hate crimes have always covered religion. There wouldn't be anything special about this one, unless only the named religions are covered.

Jews,Muslims and Sikhs seem most commonly attacked in this country. I am not aware of many anti Mormon hate crimes, but if they exist, they should be addressed as well.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 11:55AM

Why not make it a hate crime to tell missionaries that you reject their message and they should stop hounding people?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 12:00PM

I would appreciate it I they included Mormons kicking their gay kids out of the house as a hate crime.

Date: January 10, 2018 02:10PM

Also construed as child abuse, extreme neglect. If such laws exist on the books, they are not enforced.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 06:20PM

so for me to be protected by the law...I need to be a member of SOME religious group??

what about nonmormon-phobia...because there is a lot of that in UT

Posted by: nevermojohn ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 06:26PM

I would think that someone targeted specifically for being atheist or not a member of the dominant religious group would probably qualify for protection under a hate crimes statute.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 11, 2018 12:33PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 11, 2018 10:24PM

Ha ha!

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: January 11, 2018 12:46PM

We have all the laws necessary to deal with all of social woes. We just need to use them. Every new law creates a class of victims and perpetrators. Just new territory for lawyers to cash in on. A new wedge. A new angle. Why can’t we all just get along, to quote a man named Rodney...

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: January 12, 2018 01:26AM

About as reasonable as islamaphobia. Now where is my pink kitty hat?
Really?

Date: January 12, 2018 03:09AM

I have moronphobia, and Abrahamophobia as well. I slam Islam, judge Judaism and criticize Christianity.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 01:29PM

Hate crime laws can't subvert the first amendment. However they
work by attaching extra punishment to crimes when "hate" is
involved. "Hate," of course, is in the view of the prosecutor.

For example if you walk across the street between intersections
that could be jaywalking--illegal--and you could get a ticket for
it. However, if you walk across the street between intersections
and you happen to have a copy of "Huckleberry Finn" in your
backpack, then that could increase your fine because you were
doing it while transporting a book with racial epithets.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 02:40PM

Religions want to put themselves above all criticism. They have no right whatsoever to do this, of course, but they still try. They demand "respect", which they define as a synonym for deference. I call these blasphemy laws, pure and simple.

Date: January 14, 2018 06:15PM

I have Abrahamophobia. I slam Islam, judge Judaism and criticize Christianity.

Date: January 14, 2018 06:19PM

I have SaltLakeOpoly.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.