Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Zelot? ( )
Date: January 09, 2018 02:55PM

"As advocates of democracy and diversity, we agree with most, if not all of the Commandments, as fostering a more human culture. However, when the basis of fraud and force upon which they rest is discovered, we find that the aim is to destroy our humanity, not enhance it; underneath, we find it is a dictatorship ... a theocracy, which destroys humanity by the theft of personal identities, and so takes away personal responsibility for individual actions and integrity of mind upon which truly ethical and noble lives can be lived." - Marion Stricker

Many times I get this feeling that many of us humans do things that are fraudelent on a mental level. The command to love is a fraud because love is many times something you can not do by will. It is just a thing that happens and people can not help feeling love. Same thing with hate, people can not help feeling it.

it is natural. But theocracies are built on denial of natural feelings. They turn it into commands.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 09, 2018 04:22PM

Hmm.

I agree that you can't "force" either hate or love.
But you can "help" feeling hate. You don't have to, of course, but you can.
By the same token, I think you can "help" feeling love. Assuming it's love and not lust we're talking about, you can not act on the love, consider whether it's useful or not, and eventually it'll usually stop feeling like love.

Personally, I don't agree with any of the "commandments." A large number of them are nonsense 'god' things that are more about the ego of the claimed god than anything else anyway. For the rest, "commanding" people to do things 'because god says so' isn't very effective and certainly isn't rational.

If, on the other hand, young people (especially, but it works with older ones too) are taught a rational basis for WHY it's a good idea not to lie, not to kill, not to steal...then they have a solid foundation for choosing their behavior. "Do this 'cause god says so," not so much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.