Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ApostNate ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 11:11AM

Anybody else seeing a change dot org petition for NY Times to write a more positive obit being shared on social media by tbm friends or family members? Silly in so many ways. Always playin that persecution card!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 11:43AM

My exMormon--usually doesn't even think about it--daughter PMed me this a.m. and said her TBM Facebook friend posted a link to sign the petition.

I had skimmed the obit. I went back and read the article. It really was an op-ed piece more than an obituary, but what a great article.

I'm glad the Mormons are keeping the article read and relevant. I don't think most people would read it otherwise.

Mormons have such an inflated sense of their own importance.

The comments point out that Mormons have no idea what humanitarian service is. Missionary work and church service help the church. I remember feeling like I was a charitable service oriented person. All I did was pay tithing and help church members. I was too poor and busy to consider anything else.

I didn't find one comment that claimed the article had inaccuracies or lies. Still, I'm sure that those pushing that petition feel like they're fighting the devil himself.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 12:17PM

A TBM I knew years ago shared that petition on Facebook.
I hid that post- I'll sign petitions for a good cause, not because the Mormons feel butt-hurt about an article that told the truth.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 01:35PM

My sister posted it too

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 01:54PM

Does it specify the 'harm' that the NYTimes did by publishing
the original and does it demand that all readers of the original forget reading it?

Posted by: buzzard ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 02:27PM

It's no big surprise that they want to re-write history, removing all things which may not be faith-promoting.

Someone needs to call them up, and advise that the NYT is not a Deseret Gnats product.

Maybe they can post their *special* version with the essays.

Posted by: Dennis Moore nli ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 02:44PM

My DIL's mother posted it. I reread the NYT piece, and there was nothing earth shattering. Just the facts about the present day issues and how TSCC/Monson handled them.

Oh brother, what do "they" want? A loving heartsell tribute?

-Dennis

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 11:28PM

The NYT article is an ARTICLE, not an obituary.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 09, 2018 10:52PM

Exactly. It is not an obituary written by a loving family for a private person. It is news and it is accurate. End of story. Get over it. Someobe asked if Mormons would demand the same sort of respect for Cardinal Law who also died recently and who was better known. Catholics,as far as I know, didnt flood FB with petitions to ignore his protecting pedophile priests in favor of nice sweet stories.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2018 12:21AM by bona dea.

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: January 09, 2018 09:26PM

Love all the attention this is getting. More people checking in on what all the commotion is about and finding out the truth about the cults leadership. Bring it on. lol

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: January 09, 2018 10:42PM

To me, the funniest thing is that they hate when people call it a cult, but they're doing exactly what cult members do when their leader isn't completely praised.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 12:10AM

Greatest Snowflakes on Earth!

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: January 10, 2018 12:52PM

The New York Times responded and basically said they thought they did a good job with it. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.