Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 03:04AM

Bill doesn't seem to care for vanilla ice cream either.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scmd not logged in ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 03:50AM

Even a watered-down elementary school version of a science expert should opposed flat earthers.

I personally think the flat earthers are great for comedy relief. If they're only a part of the movement for their own amusement or to oppose "the system" in general, I get where the're coming from and applaud them. If they take any of the movement's dogma seriously, however, I find them scary

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 12:21PM

He isn't a scientist, so his opinions are worth as much as most people on the street and very few of us care much for flat earth-ers.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 12:43PM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He isn't a scientist...

Nye has a B.S. in mechanical engineering from Cornell. He also has six honorary doctorate degrees, including Ph.D.s in science from Goucher College and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

He held various positions as an engineer between 1977 to 2009, such as contributing to the designs of 747 planes for Boeing and the designs of equipment used to clean up oil spills.

From 1999 to 2009, Nye worked with a team at the NASA and California Institute of Technology’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory to design and create the MarsDial, a sundial and camera calibrator attached to the Mars Exploration Rover.

Merriam-Webster’s definition of “engineer”: “a person who has scientific training and who designs and builds complicated products, machines, systems, or structures.”

Ginger Pinholster, chief communications officer at the American Association for the Advancement of Science, states that AAAS considers engineering a “bona fide applied science.”

"Applied Scientist" is a scientist.

That doesn't, of course, make his opinion about flat-earthers "scientific." Or right. It's still just his opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2018 12:44PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Date: January 08, 2018 12:55PM

My point is that he isn't a scientist.

Date: January 08, 2018 01:20PM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My point is that he isn't a scientist.

"Applied Scientist" is a scientist.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 01:32PM

I have a associates degree in applied science "heavy equipment operating" and there is no way in hell that i am a scientist. But i hate to argue with you hie because i like you. Bill nye is a science guy to me though for sure. Don't hate me hie i am sorry already haha. You are way smarter than I and i declare it here and now.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 01:34PM

That clip is funny as hell though i have never seen that side of bill nye.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 09, 2018 03:09AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techne

Archimedes of Syracuse was not only a physicist and mathematician but also an engineer of the first rank:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: January 09, 2018 03:36AM

Have you ever looked at the requirements for an Engineering degree?

Just looking at my Alma Mater, in addition to general education science requirements, Mechanical Engineering degree requires the following all by the end of the second year:

Introduction to Chemistry
Two levels of Engineering Physics classes
Calculus and Multivariable Calculus
Linear Algebra and Differential Equations
Thermodynamics
Material Science

Engineers are well versed in math, science and scientific principles.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 12:45PM

Well, Mad Mike Hughes is set to launch his steam powered rocket on Super Bowl Sunday. Just one more step in his goal to prove the world is flat.

https://www.facebook.com/madmikehughes/

Date: January 08, 2018 12:53PM

I predict an Evel/Snake River sort of result...:)

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 01:45PM

I love Bill Nye. I loved his show (that I watched with my kids) and I loved his takedown of Stu Hamm when he debated him. I agree with him that we must apply the scientific method to broaden our understanding. He's passionate about exploring the universe and always looking to find more discoveries.

I feel that it is getting more difficult in our current dumbing down of America period to not feel jaded. Bill Nye helps keep my spirits up when I think about his optimism for our future.

Most modern scientists refuse to debate the flat-earthers and creationists because they argue that it gives those viewpoints more life. I wonder if Bill Nye's approach will help slow down those movements. At least it should get them to think critically for a moment. It is sad to see our country loosing its educational edge in the free world.

Posted by: Anonymous989 ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 02:54PM

Yes, the old Bill Nye was about basic Science principles taught to school children, and it was fun and informing. I loved him too. But, the new Bill Nye who "Saves the World" is a different person with a very different show. A sad departure.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 05:41PM

I have to agree with you about his new show but at least he is trying to educate people. I knew Bill Nye when he was an Engineer at Sundstrand in Washington. He did their finite element (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_element_method) analysis so I assume he had a least a Masters in Mechanical Engineering. Very nice guy and very smart.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 02:58PM

I was watching one of those National Geographic shows about what goes on in the Earth, then it hit me clear as a bell and I became a true believer of flat Earth. I can totally buy into Earth once or twice being totally flat. Like a cue ball then over time more formations pushed and pulled to become like a golf ball and now we are more like a jack or tennis ball.
Maybe during the great flood that is when the Earth was pretty flat, so water would cover everything. Kansas is all that is left of the great flatting.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 09, 2018 01:36AM

Bill Nye is a science teacher. That's good enough for me.

Posted by: StillBurned_Not Logged In ( )
Date: January 09, 2018 01:49PM

Bill Nye's credentials, at least as far as earned academic degrees is unimpressive. That said, you'd have to be a brain-dead moron to believe in the flat earth... that or you never traveled more than 25 miles from home.

Date: January 09, 2018 02:40PM

Date: January 09, 2018 07:00PM

https://medium.com/christian-intellectual/why-bill-nye-is-not-a-scientist-and-why-it-matters-20b6e3fc3fee

Here's a different view that I agree with:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-blurse-of-being-bill-nye-180967244/

Not all scientists are professional scientists. So if your definition of a "scientist" is someone who does scientific research for a living, ok. Thomas Jeffferson was a scientist and so was Benjamin Franklin -- but they didn't make their living that way. But that's not the issue. The issue is if Bill Nye uses his scientific and engineering training and scientific reasoning to solve problems and explain things that are based in fact and that can be corraborated by others, the answer to that question is "yes."

If you don't want to accept things based on fact, that's your privilege but you can't just dismiss what Bill Nye says or teaches to kids just because he doesn't do it professionally as a scientist at a research institution.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2018 07:03PM by anybody.

Date: January 09, 2018 07:10PM

Sorry, but I don't appreciate someone who claims to know what I think. Nor do I worship links.

Date: January 09, 2018 07:28PM

The only way I got out of Miss Quigley's typing class was to memorise the text and look at my fingers ;)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.