Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 03:37PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 04:11PM

I wondered that too. You'd think it would be. DH said he doubted it would. Haven't heard the report yet.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 04:15PM

I haven't heard anything at all from Mormons about Monson, and I'm not likely to. It's all too sacred to share with an apostate like me. I'm going to lurk on here, later, to find out.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 06:50PM

I was here in UT when Hinckley died and now w/Monson dying. The attitudes/feel in the general area have been vastly different between those 2 deaths.

When Hinckley died, a LOT of mormons were willing/happy to tell you what Hinckley did for the church, and also them. I equated those feelings like Catholics when John Paul II died. M.A.N.Y...churches had flags placed along the whole perimeter of a number of Mormon churches. And this was a man who did not serve his country, but did serve his flock.

When Monson died, no mormons at work really want to talk about him. many mormons did say, they Monson, would have been better off dying a couple of years ago (out of empathy to his health). I have seen no marked differences to the outside of mormon churches. I heard Gov. Hebert state that UT's flags would fly at half staff, but I haven't seen this yet, and my understanding is that Monson served in the Navy.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 06:00PM

I've unfollowed the Mormons who post a lot of cult propaganda on Facebook, so I won't see anything they post unless I go to their pages.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 06:17PM

In two separate wards outside the Morridor, Monson's name was NEVER mentioned, except in the announcements. Seriously.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 06:35PM

I had forgotten today is FaT Sunday ... not to be confused with fat Tuesday.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 12:53PM

Can't confuse FaT MorMons with PHAT Tuesday.

Posted by: h ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 06:48PM

Just a blurb from the presiding officer talking about Mozzarella's love. They ofc neglected to mention his hatred of gays...

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 07:09PM

We were told in Priesthood announcements to tell our families how the 12, I mean 10 are now governing the Church until they meet to discuss who will be next prophet. I thought the member of Bishopric was going to cry because he was so sad.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 10:44PM

So if 3 more croaked would they still have a quorum??

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 08:26PM

So the sacred information about the governing of the church is to be relayed to the women and children, second-hand, through the priesthood holders....

Posted by: corallus ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 11:19AM

There were a couple of mentions....but nothing too crazy.

There was a cute little girl (4-5 yo) who gave her testimony, She gave the standard "I want to bear my testimony and I know the church is true."

Then said some other things - but what I noticed was that she repeated the line "I know the church is true." 4 or 5 more times.

Brainwashing on display.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 12:46PM

I didn't test my monkey fast.

How about you OP?

Posted by: nomo moses ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 01:26PM

My granddaughter was blessed yesterday so I attended for the first time in 18 months. The last time I attended was for her brother’s blessing.

To my surprise, the only mention that Monson had died was during the closing prayer. The only testimony that was different from the “I know…” was from an older gentleman that is reading the Book of Moses.

The bishop's testimony at the beginning was a guilt trip to attend the temple. He stated the Idaho Falls temple is almost empty on Tuesdays & Thursdays.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 03:46PM

I don't FAST or TEST A MONKEY

It was quiet. Not a Mormon in sight.

I found out here about [idol worship] the sin next to murder, not from tscc.

Posted by: afraid of mormons ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 06:16PM

I asked four different Mormons from four different wards, and they said that Monson was not mentioned, at all.

(However, these people usually don't listen in meetings.)

They did think it was a bit peculiar, though.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 06:37PM

I remember people being very distraught over the passing of David O McKay. I was a kid, but I was made to walk past his casket for the viewing.

Monson was a 90 man. Even if I was TBM, I can't figure out a reason to be very moved by his passing.

He did his job. Whoop-ee.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 07:09PM

No matter what Mormons say, Monson was boring. I think a lot of us know what it's like to sit through conference talks and then lie through our teeth later and claim to have been moved and inspired and thrilled by the talk when actually we were trying to stay awake or fantasizing about eating something really good afterwards. Inspirational and dynamic leader? I think not. Mormons worshiped him because he was the prophet, not because he was Monson. They don't miss him.

F&T was like being at the deli counter and waiting to hear the word "Next!"

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 07:17PM

He was only mentioned twice.

Posted by: Changed Man ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 09:31PM

I went to sacrament meeting with my wife because I had turn in some merit badge counselor paperwork. If we had arrived sooner, I wouldn't have had to stay. Whatever. Monson was talked about a lot. The bishop started out the testimony portion of the meeting with his tribute and his story of when he met Monson coming out of an elevator and how awesome that was. Then several other people got up and told their experiences with Monson and other past prophets, sort of one-upping each other. The new Relief Society president got up and gave a sales pitch to all the ladies to come to RS. Some kids got up and said the standard testimony, including that Monson is a prophet. Then the meeting ended and I turned in my paperwork and went home.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.