Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: merryprankster123 ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 02:36PM

I have never seen this advertisement before. I am surprised that Monson would do this. It gives new meaning to following the profit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiAUIxItWvQ

Needless to say, I think it is totally inappropriate for a so-called special witness of Christ and very high ranking church leader to be advertising for a private corporation or to sit on corporate boards. (I know that they no longer allow GAs t odo this.) I just can't imagine Jesus being on a board member or encouraging his followers to buy life insurance from a specific company.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Jo Smith set the precedent for this type of thing this with his promotion of the fraudulent and illegal "Kirtland Safety Society Anti-Banking Company" scam.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 03:53PM

That "private corporation" is owned by the LDS church.
It's a subsidiary of Deseret Management Company, the church's "for-profit" wing.

Mormon prophets shilling for profits is nothing new.

And like when Joe shilled for the Kirtland Anti-Banking Society, this one failed. Beneficial stopped writing new insurance policies in 2009, and will eventually close (when current policies are paid up or bought out). So Monson's shilling didn't keep the place prophetable. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2018 03:56PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 04:20PM

My policy waa so small they just cancelled my policy and sent me a check.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: January 06, 2018 02:06PM

https://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6836506

AM Best had lowered its rating to A- and had them on negative outlook before the cash infusion. Rating would have been lower if they did not have the deep pockets of LDS, Inc that raters assumed would back them up (as they did). Then TSCC asked AM Best to stop issuing ratings because they were no longer going to be selling new policies.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 04:31PM

My eldest daughter was born in the old Provo hospital in 1969, a year and a week after ye olde temple marriage, thus speaking loudly in favor of our righteousness.

About a week after the birth, there was as knock on the door of our modest two bedroom home, on 3/4's of an acre ($75/month rent!) sort of at the edge of Utah lake. When I opened the door there stood a aged gentleman with a nice smile. He handed me his card, showing that he was a salesman from Beneficial Life. He said he had an important message for me, about my new daughter. Of course he'd perused the birth announcements and was there to sell me whatever he could.

After he was seated on the couch, he opened up a binder, with the announcement that he wanted me to see the board of directors of Beneficial Life. It was a two-page spread, in color. All by himself on one page was David O. McKay. On the facing page were the 12... He said that these were the people I'd be doing business with. He made a connection that every salesman wished he could make!

I only bought an 18 year pay whole life for the daughter. It was a horrible investment!

I've always wished that I had some way of inducing the same type of visceral response when I had to meet with people...

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 08:13PM

Similar thing happened to me.

Just after getting married, still living in Provo/BYU, a guy came to the door. He whipped out a picture of the GAs and tried to sell us newly weds life insurance policies, implying the GAs recommended it.

It pissed me off, even back then.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 05:49PM

We had a policy with Beneficial.
Eventually we cashed it out and it helped pay off our house.

So, I have nothing bad to say about Beneficial.
If it only worked that way with the church and tithing.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 07:53PM

Monson was just another hawker and promoter, a salesman just like BKP, the former used car salesman. Mormonism is all about sales hype. This is the type of leader the cult is always looking for.

Thank you for the clip, merryprankster.

This, and "Let's go shopping" about sums it up. My condolences to those people who lost a father, grandfather, great-grandfather, his real family.

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 07:52PM

I hope you don't mind me adding something here. BKP was a full time Church Education System teacher, then administrator, then assistant to the 12, and then apostle.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 08:22PM

Earlier in my married life, there was something about male, Mormon insurance sales people, as being someone you could (supposedly) put your trust in, and should therefore buy the insurance policy he was trying to hustle you.

One evening, a member of the Stake Presidency came over, uninvited, on a Sat. night--which was our usual 'going out to dinner night' (by putting the kids to bed and BBQ-ing our dinner at home and watching the TV while eating it)--this man showed up at our house, and assured us he didn't mind that we were eating our dinner in front of him while he gave us his sales pitch. He acted as if he was doing us a favor, and 'if you followed his advice, you were but doing what the church approved and endorsed'.

We didn't bite. (For one thing, we couldn't afford it.)

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 09:09PM

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 09:13PM

Monson became a member of the Q-12 in 1963. I think it’s safe to assume he was a “company man.” The Beneficial Boner.

Date: January 05, 2018 09:16PM

The Bonerficial Boner.

"Get a Grip on Life with Bonerficial!"

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 09:27PM

It works for me! ... or, at least it used to :(

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 09:40PM

President Spencers W. Kimball worked for an insurance company before becoming a GA and was in the Millionaire's Club, meaning he sold over $1 million in insurance.

Posted by: Dennis Moore nli ( )
Date: January 06, 2018 09:14AM

I couldn't even watch the whole thing. Sickening. I feel like barfing.

-TSM, what an asshat

-Dennis

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 06, 2018 10:09AM

remember 3.1 Billion dollars in hundred dollars bills would weigh OVER 33 tons. 22 pounds (per million$ in 100 dollar bills) times 1000 equals 22,000 pounds equals 11 tons, times 3 ( in even billions) equals 33 tons.

https://www.fivecentnickel.com/how-much-does-a-million-dollars-weigh/

this is what a billion dollars in hundred dollar bills looks like http://geekologie.com/2009/01/this-is-what-a-billion-dollars.php

LD$ Inc's Beneficial Financial subsidiary had over three times that much (in 2005 before they unexpectedly went broke) ......... so they very generously took three one hundred dollar bills off of that huge stack of cash to give it to a local charity .....to certify what great caring members of the community that they are.

The following offered for perspective as a companion piece that it is to what Monson said/ did for Beneficial Life/Financial at their 100 year celebration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZxlQ68tIpc

here is even more perspective on the matter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJFw5xnwJIk

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: January 06, 2018 10:19PM

I think the key issue in the cult's insurance company going under due to the Great Recession is this: why didn’t the prophets, seers and revelators see the Great Recession coming and take action before hand to prevent the collapse of their big money maker? It's more evidence these guys are just business men going around with the title of prophets, etc. No revelation whatsoever.

Date: January 06, 2018 11:20PM

It was a test!

Date: January 07, 2018 08:19AM

Being a MORmON member is always a test o' money, and the test is never over until the money is gone from the member's pockets / bank accounts and moved into the PRofit's / Chief Corporate Officers bank account.

Stinking blood sucking predators !!!!

Date: January 07, 2018 07:46AM

the thing is Beneficial FInance was a proven money making institution for LDS inc, like the goose that lays golden eggs. But that just was not good enough for some one who was in a big hurry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8l0lu4otIg

like the dumb ass greedy corporate CEO. who then moved Beneficial funds into high risk hopefully high yield investments, to speed things up because the goose just was not fast enough to suit the profit who was in a big hurry.

Those investments then went bust. (WHOOPS!!!!!!) It was an epic blunder and lack of foresight conventionally and especially for those claiming to be divinely directed. that against the back drop of Gordon BS Hinckley making the (bombastic) declaration "I can only report that the lord is richly blessing his church" in Oct 2002 LD$ Inc general conference as a prelude to LD$ Inc implementing their (obscenely) opulent and extravagant CCC mall project that ran out of funds before completion. ....but Hinckley was in a hurry, just as he ended dead before his downtown SLC MORmON vatican (Monument to himself) was completed.

What an ass !!!!

Date: January 07, 2018 07:48AM

correction: Oct 2006 conference instead of 2002

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 06:15PM

That clip made me sick, thanks for that.

Date: January 08, 2018 12:52AM

there is nothing like letting MORmON leaders speak for themselves when it comes to explaining MORmONISM !!!!!

Posted by: Birdman ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 10:47AM

Unbelievable!!! This should have been included in those glowing testimonials. What a fraud!!! No wonder Mormons are scammed.

Date: January 08, 2018 02:14AM

if that impressed you, then what about this !!!!

look out boys!!! she done got a fire in her belly!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FCO2Px_oaU

Date: January 07, 2018 06:17PM

I can't believe that that is even real.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 05:39AM

The proof of its reality lies in the fact that the top comment is from "our very own" Don Bagley - and a pithy one it is too.

Date: January 08, 2018 04:14PM

I get it now. The stories about visiting windows. He was peddling life insurance. WHAT A CON ARTIST. This man is an embarrassment, even to Mormons. This actually explains all of his BS stories.

Date: January 08, 2018 06:02PM

you speak of LD$ inc leaders like they are merely disgusting self interested con men swindlers, and not really virtuous men of god ......

Date: January 07, 2018 06:12PM

I am greatful nothing monson says even affects me anymore. No more control even if my family is still controlled. I did think about him today and wondered what hell he was going through now if there really was something that survived death. I have friends on the other side if there is an afterlife and a couple of them hated the church with a passion.

Date: January 08, 2018 04:34PM

I'm sorry but I just can't get over this. Here's a man who is lauded for visiting windows and writing service members. If he was actually working for Beneficial Life during the period of his tenure as a local Bishop or Stake President it would be interesting to see how many policies were actually written or renewed for people he visited. Why is this not worthy of investigative journalism? This man is touted as a holy man. Why is not this potential issue exposed? Mother Teresa's life was scrutinized, why not Monson's? He definitely wasn't a Mother Teresa, even on his best days.

Monson is no less a fraud than other Mormon's that have fallen into disrepute.

Help me understand this.

Date: January 08, 2018 06:11PM

Here's the apparently uncontested review of Monson's work life, per the NYTimes:

"Thomas Spencer Monson was born in Salt Lake City on Aug. 21, 1927 ... At 12, he began working in a printing business his father managed.

"He graduated from West High School in Salt Lake City in 1944. After starting at the University of Utah, he joined the Naval Reserve in 1945. World War II ended months later, and after stateside training, his tour of duty ended in 1946. He re-entered the University of Utah, graduating in 1948 with honors and a bachelor’s degree in marketing ...

... A printer by trade, he was an advertising executive with The Deseret News in the 1940s, and rose in the 1960s to general manager of the Deseret News Press, a church-affiliated printing firm. He was a longtime director and board chairman of the Deseret News Publishing Company."

He was never involved with Beneficial Life and didn't sell policies. His 'work' with widows had nothing to do with sales, but I can't help but (maliciously) wonder if these were new widows who needed "guidance" on how to distribute their late husbands' insurance proceeds and on how to set up gifts to the church in their wills.

The ad he did was just that, an attempt to promote sales for one of the many income streams the church maintains.

He was just another one of the tools wearing pants who pushed the agenda they were told to push, and he went along with it for whatever his interior reasons were.

You know who there's been talk lately about run of the mill members who stay in because they're afraid of the fall out if they leave? I think there are GAs in the same boat.

Posted by: Zenmaster_NLI ( )
Date: February 10, 2020 11:44AM

I see that the Church admitted to bailing out Beneficial with the $100 billion stockpile...

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/02/08/lds-church-kept-lid-its-b/?fbclid=IwAR0Ho8fo9dVe0cuW5scW5zpmndKIgn57J0d4RBqVDxxZ41kea5yvjdJOmvQ

"Latter-day Saint officials acknowledged that it used Ensign funds to underwrite construction of City Creek Center mall in downtown Salt Lake City and rescue Beneficial Life, a church-owned insurance company, but said there was nothing illegal in that."

Of course no tithing funds were used in that process /s

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 10, 2020 11:50AM

I had motorcycle insurance from Heber J.Grant Company.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.