Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NeverBeenaMormon ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 09:09PM

Yeah I know, “Let’s go shopping” and wiggling his ears...

But seriously what did he do? He helped approve blacks getting the priesthood, he changed the missionary age and he continued GBH’s policy of building unnecessary ‘temples’ that will one day ruin TSCC.

What else?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 09:10PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2018 09:19PM by cl2.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 02:52PM

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 10:30AM

Sorry to hear that. I cannot imagine being gay in an Arab country. While Monson was not directly killing gay people; he made gay people hate themselves so much that they killed themselves.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 07:16PM

Actually my ex-husband's (gay) last boyfriend was from Saudi Arabia. I am well aware of what things are like for gays in Arab countries.

It doesn't make what the leaders of the lds church did to gays or someone like me, who was told to marry someone gay to save him. And then the leaders decided my children are second-class citizens because their dad is gay.

I thought it as bad enough when I met my ex in 1983. They just took it to a whole new level of hate.

Just because mormons don't murder gays, doesn't make what mormons do okay.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 09:16PM

Not much, as far as actually being president all he did was lower the missionary age.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2018 09:17PM by Whiskeytango.

Posted by: ka0z ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 09:32PM

Prop 8: - Which I think was really the last mainstream anti-gay stand.

Widows - been seeing that all over FaceBook

Missionary age - especially for the sisters

And probably just a complete lack of anything you could even try to spin as a revelation.

Posted by: Red ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 09:33PM

Very little in the history of Morgdom, really. The Hinckster had more lasting impact. Of the two, who's the bigger jackass? Hard to say, considering. ;)

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 09:35PM

Monson has a tremendous legacy - after all if it weren't for his efforts Gay Marriage would still be illegal in the state of Utah. Think about it...if Monson hadn't forced the issue by pressuring mormons in California to throw everything they have towards supporting prop 8, the Supreme Court would have never gotten involved. It is surprising that a true prophet of god could not predict that happening. Hmmmm...

Under his deft leadership an effective split has formed between the politically-correct millennials and the older inflexible mormons. Younger mormons, hoping to not be seen as hating/judgmental/fascist freaks are trying to re-define what being mormon means only to have these attempts at mainstreaming rebuffed by their leadership. Not to worry though, they will all leave the cult soon enough.

Thanks Monson!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 09:40PM

I don't think Monson deserves full "credit" for the Prop 8 fiasco. It was Hinckley who decided that the church would fight gay rights; he was the one who did the Hawaii thang, then involved the church in the Prop 22 (?) fight in California. When Monson took the helm, the church was already committed. He stumbled into Prop 8.

But Monson was incompetent. Whereas Hinckley would have done it all behind the scenes, Monson put the LDS church in the forefront and ensured that it would take the brunt of the reaction. I also think that the LDS church's unpopularity gave a boost to that reaction and increased the public uproar. To that extent, Monson's inept public relations may have contributed to the public debate and the supreme court decision.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 09:51PM

I stand corrected. Monson did stumble into making prop 8 happen. All over facebook my old TBM family and friends are posting sad memes of monson's passing. I want to call them on his ineptitude but doing so means I will loose them too.

It is hard to find the line of where to draw the line with TBMs that I still care about.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 04:17AM

I hope, Praydude, that you can keep your annoyance in check. As you know, the relationships are way more important than religion or the lack thereof.

I've found that Ativan helps.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 09:16PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think Monson deserves full "credit" for
> the Prop 8 fiasco. It was Hinckley who decided
> that the church would fight gay rights; he was the
> one who did the Hawaii thang, then involved the
> church in the Prop 22 (?) fight in California.
> When Monson took the helm, the church was already
> committed. He stumbled into Prop 8.

Thanks for clarifying who was really responsible for what. Accuracy is a good thing.

> But Monson was incompetent.

That may not be entirely accurate. Especially not in the context of being compared to Hinckley who was an epic bumbler. Monson accomplished what he wanted to. He made it to the very top of LDS Inc. From there, at age 80, Monson basically just coasted, riding it out to his end. Monson never wanted to be a great/ grand definer or re definer of MORmON doctUrine. Monson gets blamed for having a simple message, but at least Monson's message was a good one -try to help others, instead of being obsessed with trying to manipulate public opinion to grow MORmONISM. Truth be told, Monson probably did not care that much about growing THE church, or MORmONISM taking over the world. Monson was head of the MORmON church as constituted, that was good enough for him, without seeing MORmONISM triple or double during his tenure.

Just as you pointed out, Monson gets blamed for a lot of the stuff that was a carry over from ultra power hungry Hinckley. A lot of Monson's supposed actions were probably really the acts of LD$ Inc PR while Monson really did not care!!!

> Whereas Hinckley
> would have done it all behind the scenes,

where Hinckley got caught ANYWAY, so it was not behind the scenes enough, so who is really inept. The fact that faithFOOL MORmON members refused to hold Hinckley responsible does NOT mean that Hinckley is NOT a screw up!!!

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 09:54PM

That he used to have so many widows in his ward and under his care, when he was a Bishop.

I liked the guy. It seems to me that he got stuck and didn't know how to bow out gracefully (without leaving the church), when he got called to his 'higher' calling, which was to help out the then-current Church Presidency, who simply weren't able to take care of church affairs on their own (mostly due to their age, and age-related health problems).

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 09:56PM

He officially ushered in the era of the back seat prophet. One who does nothing but get driven around in expensive cars. His predecessor was something of a media gadfly. Monson made that guy look like an overachiever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2018 09:57PM by donbagley.

Date: January 05, 2018 08:12PM

Monson accomplished what he wanted to. He made it to the very top of the LD$ Inc corporate heap. Once he got there, he inherited the huge mess that PR-of-it self proclaimed Media Genius Gordon BS Hinckley had made. Since Monson had achieved his ultimate aim, at 80 years of age, he just coasted from there on out.

The huge mess that Hinckley had made at LD$ inc was due to Hinckley's grandiose personal ambitions. It was not enough for Hinckley to make it to the very top of LD$ inc. Hinckley intended to show up all of the other Profits since Joseph Smith, and even show up Joseph Smith in taking Smith's bombastic Book of MORmON (and unmentionable secret handshakes) scam world wide and in reaping the most profits ever from it. Hinckley gutted MORmON doctUrine to facilitate his big tent bigger profits approach to MORmONISM. Hinckley built Monuments to himself on either side of Temple Square to rival Brigham Young's grand monument to himself -the Salt Lake city secret handshake palace/temple. CCC mall to the south. The conference center to the north.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 11:26PM

Slow talking.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 04:48AM

IMHO he is the guy who began the great exodus. For many of us, the Prop 8 fight is what began to crack our shelf. But on top of that it seems to me his reign over the church has been one PR blunder after another. The LGBTQ issue, the City Creek issue, the essays issue (to me the essays opened up an entirely new can of worms).

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 07:12AM

I agree.

Date: January 05, 2018 08:35PM

IF you are going to define Monson's legacy then you need to quit using so many Hinckley bench marks to do it, or else Monson will just be lost in the shadow of Hinckley ....Oh Wait.....

Posted by: pettigrew ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 07:40AM

Utah’s teen suicide rate.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 08:08AM

Legacy:

Regression.
Gay discrimination.
Childish stories.
Reminding everyone of the Munster family.
Evidence that Pepsi is not cool.
Unable to retain intelligent members.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 06:07PM

A Prophet who prophesied nothing, a Seer who foresaw nothing, and a Revelator who revealed nothing.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 07:05PM

Getting widows to drink Pepsi

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 10:28PM

Go to the mall. You'll feel better while shopping near God.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.