Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 07:11PM

Anyone know anything about his health, besides old & feeble?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 08:00PM

From his speeches and writings, I know he is one sick puppy...

Does that count? :)

Posted by: Scmd not logged in ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 08:14PM

Wendvwill stick the corpse in the freezer and continue to run things for as long as she cab

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 04:02AM

He's dead.

Not going to recover.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 02:58PM

And of course, he is very lucid and still reads several new books each week, writing critically acclaimed reviews about each of them. Sound of mind and body. Just what we need.

(Or so the TBMs will tell us)

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 11:28PM

Nelson is 93 yrs, 4 months old. 6 yrs, 8 months shy of 100.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_M._Nelson

I watched the first five minutes of his October, 2017 conference address.
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2017/10/the-book-of-mormon-what-would-your-life-be-like-without-it?lang=eng

I'd say he looks pretty good.

* Posture, excellent for a person of any age.
* Enunciation, not quite perfect, but excellent for his age.
* Facial springiness, skin sags a bit, but reflexes look good
* Ability to deliver, perfectly fine. Looks like he could hold down a conversation. He may even have contributed significantly to the authorship of his talk.
* Cadence, good. No trouble with jokes, pauses.
* Vision, no obvious squinting at the teleprompter.
* Grooming, he carries his clothing fine, looks comfortable wearing it. (Doesn't look like someone stripped him of his pyjamas, pulled a suit on him, and propped him up for the occasion).

For a dude in his early 90s, he looks pretty good. He looks like the sort that if he had formally retired a couple decades ago and taken care of himself, that he'd still be living in his own home, unassisted (except maybe spouse, cleaners, lawn care). Definitely not the 93 year-old you'd find in a nursing home. Probably not even in assisted living, if he had (as he does) a younger spouse.

Seems that I've read that once you hit 90, your odds of dying decrease a bit every year, since most of the things that take people out (heart failure, cancer, stroke, diabetes, Alzheimers, etc.) will have already struck. (Just googled it, can't find it, but it makes sense).

So if he's looking good, and has passed age 90, he's probably good to go for a while. At least 5 years, maybe 10.

As far as interest in leadership, interested in steering The Corporation through difficult times to ensure success in future decades, well, I don't think he's ever shown much interest in that, so I doubt that he'll start now.

RG

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2018 11:31PM by reinventinggrace.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 11:31PM

Nobody deserves to live to 100.

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 01:51AM

Good observations.

Posted by: gooberhead ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 03:35AM

I hear having a younger spouse is very good for your health. They encourage younger behaviors.

Posted by: xxMMMooo ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 03:47AM

Maybe true, but at 93+ anything can happen at any time, people just drop dead or don't wake up one morning. Nelson could be another 9-month-wonder like Howard Hunter or a 17-month wonder like Harold B. Lee. The next guy (Oaks) is only 84.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 11:04AM

Oaks is worse than Nelson in my opinion.

Posted by: merryprankster123 ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 01:00PM

I totally agree with you about Oaks being worse.

May be Nelson will live a long time so long as he and Wendy adhere to the temple demand of "let us go down."

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 01:06PM

Nelson has a distinct limbal ring which isn't yet faded and is some evidence for decent cardiovascular health.

Posted by: xxMMMooo ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 02:34AM

He's a cardiac surgeon, so he could do his own heart surgery if need be

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 06:42AM

I’m sure they’ve considered how it will look to the rest of the world if they appoint a 93-year-old president, and they just don’t care. As if there’s nothing unusual about a newly minted 93-year-old CEO of a $8B (in annual revenue) company.

It’s a joke, but that’s okay because the church is a joke. A sick joke to be sure, but still a joke. But why shouldn’t it be? Didn’t it all start with Joseph playing a joke on his friends? He even had Nephites playing jokes like digging a pit for their neighbor. Joe dug a pit big enough for all of us. Yeah, huh, so funny I forgot to laugh.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.