Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: January 01, 2018 06:37PM

for the members of the ward. It was read before the meeting began.

The shortened version:
1) Members can do more keeping the Sabbath Day Holy
2) Members can do a better job of attending their Church classes on Sunday during the three hour block
3) Members can do more by participating in class lessons
4) Members will feel better bearing their testimonies
5) Members will be come more spiritual by keeping the Sabbath day holy
6) Members need to spend better quality time at home on the Sabath
7) Members will finding themselves sinning less as they keep the Sabbath day holy.
8) Etc, etc, etc

Why can the Church leaders not start the year off right by saying, "hey we made it through another year. I hope that this year will be better for everyone. We know you have struggles and hope that you can find peace and happiness as the year progresses forward. Etc, etc, etc." Why is everything a quilt trip and tied to sin?

Then I go to Priesthood and find that every fourth Sunday the Priesthood lesson is going to be on Keeping the Sabbath Day holy.

Anyone else have a similar experience on Sunday?

It just did not sit well with me. Something is very off in this ward and stake up here in Canada.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: January 01, 2018 06:44PM

That was the case always, when I was in the morg. Disgusting isn't it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2018 06:44PM by Aquarius123.

Date: January 01, 2018 06:56PM

Disgusting is not what I would say. I would say that if this is being done it is not how you bring people together. I lost all respect for the Bishop and his 2 counselors. The 2 counselors talked on Sunday. The first guy was so confusing and it was not up lifting. The second counselor spoke of the need for the restoration. It was terrible. I mean the delivery. I did note a couple of things. He said when the apostles died off the Priesthood was taken from the earth.

He did talk about Christ in America, etc.

My question to him would be this. Did not 3 Nephites apostles asked to stay until he return? So "no the Priesthood was still on the earth."

My second question. What about John in the NT. "Did he ask to stick around too?"

So I am sitting here thinking these guys signed their names to that terrible put down letter that the Bishop read yet they cannot give clear, concise, factual talks.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: January 01, 2018 06:44PM

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Posted by: Anon4This ( )
Date: January 01, 2018 06:47PM

I agree. This smacks of a TR interview that I had last year. Rather than focusing on what I could provide, I was reamed out for what I could not provide at the current time. The same reply passed muster with the BP previously. The end result was not a good one for the one true church. We haven't been back since.

I think their focus is basackwards: The carrot works better than the stick.

Posted by: nevermojohn ( )
Date: January 01, 2018 06:48PM

Don’t go

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 01, 2018 06:49PM

Maybe they're winnowing the perceived chaff???

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: January 01, 2018 06:57PM

how depressing to hear that letter

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: January 01, 2018 07:01PM

" Why is everything a quilt trip and tied to sin?"

Because that what keeps you writing checks to lds inc.
Do you still really think that this is a caring, helpful religion? It's called a cult for a reason.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: January 06, 2018 11:00PM

Bingo!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 01, 2018 07:04PM

It's all the fault of the members, never TSCC.

Posted by: 2 cold 2 log in ( )
Date: January 01, 2018 07:05PM

The bishop and his counselors are such hosers. Good thing Hockey Night in Canada is on Saturday, eh?

I have to ask… why do you capitalize the "E" in "SEcular"?

And why are separate men's and women's teams needed in curling?

Date: January 01, 2018 07:09PM

I can "see" the secular aspects of the Church for what it is.

I am a HP in the Church but I see the bigger picture, the world view and I want to keep others informed that the Church is more secular than it is spiritual.

Date: January 01, 2018 07:06PM

What if the bishop believed that the members had to have a TR to get to heaven, and so that means he's holding all the cards? It's darn close to absolute power, and we know where that leads...

Posted by: MeM ( )
Date: January 01, 2018 08:04PM

This makes me Sad and Happy at the same time.

SAD because in all my time in the Morg, I don't recall anyone in authority ever just saying "Good job MeM" with adding "Couldn't you just do a little better with _________(genealogy, donations, reading scriptures, home visits, preparing lessons, bearing testimony , the Sabbath etc etc etc?")
HAPPY because I no longer attend and I give those people no authority over me.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 06:09PM

Next "keep the sabbath day holy" lesson, remind the bishop and his minions that the "sabbath" is Friday sundown to Saturday sundown. It says so, nice and clearly, in the bible. Sunday is "the lord's day," used as a gathering day by christians (nobody is sure just when that started) largely to disassociate themselves from being considered a sect of Judaism. It ain't the "sabbath."

Not that it'll do any good...but it might be good for a laugh or two :)

Posted by: mother who knows ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 07:58PM

If Mormons are supposed to keep the Sabbath, why do Mormon women work their asses off on Sundays, then? They have to get the kids awake and fed and dressed up, and drag them to church. They have to teach in the Primary, or play the piano, or set up chairs, and corral unruly kids, etc. Then they go home, change the kids clothes and hang them up, cook an elaborate Sunday dinner fit for a king priesthood-holder, then wash the dishes and clean up the kitchen. Then it's time to get the kids homework, lunches, and clothes ready for Monday. The Mormons call this "not working on Sunday."

The Mormon male comes home after church, late from extra meetings, and gobbles down his dinner. He then takes a nap on the couch--that is what I call "not working on Sunday."

Date: January 02, 2018 08:02PM

I had a sofa named Jehovah....

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 10:38PM

You seem to generalize about Mormon men.

I used to go to 7AM PEC meetings on Sunday and wish I was home with the kids.

I also spent many more hours during the week at church than she did. I would have rather been home with them.

My wife actually liked her kids and liked being with them and dressing them up for church. They were not a burden to her.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 10:40PM

Well, the beatings must be what the members want, as they keep coming back for more, as many of us did. You can point out the stupidity of it all and they will tell you to get lost.

My sympathy is limited.

Posted by: pilgrim ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 12:04AM

BINGO! The poor bishop and counselors work from sun-up to sun-down on Sunday, as do the "general authorities". When I was a member, I recall that the GA's had their sabbath on Monday, with a special closed meeting in the temple.

And as I recall, my own Sundays were stressful and discouraging....the opposite of the "rest" we should foster. Of course, with kids, no rest is possible for anyone!

Posted by: pilgrim ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 12:06AM

And quite frankly, if Joseph, Brigham and the rest were examples of "priesthood", I would think it was a "dark priesthood" of someone quite OTHER than Jesus or God. By their fruits ye shall know them.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 06, 2018 06:28PM

My Catholic mom didn't fare so badly on Sundays. She did need to get my brother and me up and dressed, but church was only an hour and all she had to do was sit and listen. We always stopped at the deli on the way home to get Kaiser rolls and fresh cold cuts. That was our lunch. Later, we had an early, very simple supper -- nothing elaborate. She really did try to take the day off in as far as she could.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 08:19PM

Regardless of Who you are, What you're Doing,

it's NEVER GOOD ENOUGH!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 08:41PM

The members ought to be grateful the leadership lets them in the building at all. They're such losers!

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 09:05PM

Translation: Don't take-off for skiing on Sunday, eh.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 09:27PM

Date: January 01, 2018 06:56PM

Re: "Our Bishop Starts the Year Reading a Letter The Bishopric Wrote [and]...The second counselor spoke of the need for the restoration".

P: Q: Restoration of what?

"SEcular Priest: I did note a couple of things. He said when the apostles died off the Priesthood was taken from the earth."
----

P: As I have written many times, Jesus' apostles did not "hold" the priesthood, and, his N.T. apostles were not priests, period! They were apostles, witnesses of Jesus as divine.
----

In the Old T., only the tribe of Aaron, as appointed by Moses, were priest--with Aaron as the--single (only)--High Priest of this group.

Therefore, J.S. and O.C's. claim that Peter-James-and John bestowed on them the priesthood, is pure MYTH!!!! (Not even the Pope claims to have see PJ&J, or any other angelic entity as far as that goes.)

You can't 'bestow' something on someone that you don't have yourself.

Even so, most Mormons presume otherwise. They believe men 'hold' the priesthood, and can bestow it on each other--which is absolutely not true!! (Hence, all the women in the church who reverence pd holders, or want to hold the pd themselves, are but pining for something that was made-up, and therefore, are spinning their frustration wheels in vain.)

If 'Mormons' want to restore "Mormonism" on each other, help themselves--even though the BofM, and Mormon (a made-up person) is as false as the doctrine Mormon's currently teach each other re. 'holding' the pd.

Mormon's can't prove otherwise to the above, no matter how much one studies the Bible and the BofM, because these volumes do not contain any writings ('scriptures') that prove otherwise than my points listed, above.

Happy New Year,
Polly

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 09:31PM

It's a FAILED quasi-religious pep-rally gone bad when FEAR - not LOVE - was used to an extreme, insomuxh that the whole ward went inactive. Eternally. Infinity

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 06, 2018 06:25PM

I get tired just reading that list.

Posted by: Elder Fartingson ( )
Date: January 06, 2018 07:20PM

Drab, dreary, negative, pessimistic, uninspiring, and guilt-ridden. Such is a Mormon sacrament meeting. I remember it well after 40 years. Those type of meetings do nothing positive for people - it makes people feel bad. I don't think I've ever been to a positive uplifting meeting in the Mormon church.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 06, 2018 09:18PM

It's enough to make ya wanna take up chewing tobacco on Sunday.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 06, 2018 09:45PM

Your bishop was making New Year's resolutions for the entire ward, so they wouldn't have to worry about that for themselves. How "fatherly" of him.

Really--when you were TBM, how many of your New Year's resolutions were church-related?

I resolve to read the BOM every night, pay a full tithing, not miss meetings, be on time for meetings, to learn (certain organ preludes and other musical numbers), to put more effort into my callings, to do my VT/HT at the first of the month and not at the end of the month.... Really?

I had trouble coming up with fresh resolutions, after I quit the cult. Some of them now are: "Put my family first, read to the grandchildren more, exercise, meditate, make more money for us, be more positive, have more fun, lighten up, laugh more, etc." Most of these are in opposition to what the cult would want its members to do.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 06, 2018 11:19PM

Every bishop is a tiny tyrant played like a puppet by the church owners. Members could, and should, do a lot less. Let go of the stress.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.