Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 01, 2018 12:45PM

I'm just a nice lady living a good life in a home I've earned through hard work.

The point is this: I do not have to follow anyone's idea of non-discrimination. If someone comes to my door, I don't have to answer their knock or let them in, even if they are in a protected religion, age or gender group, or racial group. I can refuse to talk to them. I don't owe them bathroom access or snacks. I don't owe them the time of day unless I choose to give it.

So for those who accuse me of discrimination, I'll say this: No one can get very far trying to sue me for turning away missionaries, sales pests, Bible thumpers, people with beards, people with two different colored eyes, JWs, possible robbers, or anyone other person who doesn't have a search warrant.

I've been told I can't discriminate in my home for any number of reasons that I used to honor as a public school teacher. Governmental agencies must obey these regulations. In my own home, I rein supreme. I am not constrained by those rules.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 01, 2018 01:17PM

The biggest form of discrimination I have ever seen is when one is choosing one's mate.
There ought to be a law, I tell you.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 01, 2018 01:19PM

There's a reason it's called home

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: January 01, 2018 01:29PM

I like your style cheryl, this is the correct way. Letting a stranger into your home and your personal space is a mistake.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 01, 2018 06:42PM

we reserve the right to pull up the draw-bridge any time we want! (Or decline to open the door.)

If somebody appears at my door, pushing some unwanted product (including religion), I usually interrupt them, speaking over them if necessary (which is very annoying to me, because I was taught that this is horribly rude, but it is the only behavior that gets through to some pushy people.)

I will thank them for coming, wish them a pleasant day, and close the door, whether or not they are still talking. The generally gets the message across. And we have every right to do it.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 07:17AM

People should be able to do whatever they want on their own property or in their homes as long as they're not breaking the law.

Public employees like teachers, police, and firefighters seem to be held to a different standard and don't have as much latitude.

Many in this group have lost their jobs for dating or having affairs with teens at or above the legal age of consent even when there is no law expressly forbidding it. There have been cases of teachers fired for being former adult film actors or exotic dancers, KKK or Nazi Party members.

This unwritten "Socrates Standard" of fear of anything that could be regarded as "corrupting the youth" is one of the reasons why I'd never go into teaching -- even though it could be rewarding and challenging...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 07:18AM by anybody.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 08:45AM

You're spot on, Cheryl. We have a "no soliciting" sign on our front door, but it must be written in Mandarin or Russian, because no one seems to be able to read it and understand what it says. My husband and I, one fine day, had just pulled into our driveway and into the garage. As we were getting out of our car, up comes this stranger, right into our garage! We didn't see him before we pulled in. He tried to sell us solar panels. We kept saying "no" and that we needed to leave for son's baseball game. Finally we told him that we're too old to be bothered with this and he finally left, across the street to the other neighbors. Another time, I had the garage door open because I was cleaning out the garage. I had my back turned to the driveway and all of a sudden, this voice says " hi there!" I turned, and here was this very tall man in our garage! I said: "holy shit!" and then saw that it was the elder's quorum president! He wanted to stop and say hi. I guess we need a big sign for our garage also!

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 09:10AM

Not a government agency? But I'm an agent of C.H.E.R.Y.L. (Curmudgeonly Heretics Evicting Religions' Young Lackeys).

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 09:13AM

My grandmother was a SAHM during the Great Depression and beyond. She used to regularly open her door to tradesmen and peddlers because that was how things were done back then. Those days have passed. For safety reasons, I do not advocate opening the door to strangers unless you have *thoroughly* vetted them. It is especially unwise for a woman or a teen alone at home to do this. There is no law that states you must open the door to strangers. I advocate talking to strangers through a closed and locked door if you wish to do so.

Posted by: noone ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 11:32AM

I live in suburban Cleveland, OH. My suburb is getting an influx of people fleeing the city, and as a result the crime level is rising.

One summer day, on my street, two fourteen-year-old boys knocked on a neighbor's door, twice. She did not answer because she was at work. The teens then kicked down her locked-and-bolted side door and robbed her house. Elderly neighbors who were at home watched through their windows and called the police, who circled the house. When one of the robbers climbed out her downstairs bedroom window with his arms full of jewelry, the police told him to go back in the window, get his accomplice and come out the side door. They were then wrestled to the ground and handcuffed.

By now it was early rush hour time and people were starting to come home and saw the action of the police. Some gloated that they had not been robbed, others watched in horror and others expressed sorrow at what had happened. However, as they entered their homes, they found their window screens slashed and their computers, music systems and televisions missing. The police were then busy for the next few hours with reports.

Date: January 02, 2018 04:55PM

I'm sorry to hear that. I had a good experience a number of years ago visiting the suburbs of your city.

Yes, you can't prevent every type of home invasion or robbery. But at least you can prevent the ones where the invader pushes the door in, and you down, when you open it.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 09:16AM

Just curious...who has told you that you can't turn away people at your door, or refuse to let them use your bathroom?

Date: January 02, 2018 09:34AM

I didn't note who accused me a few days ago, and certainly haven't kept a log over the years.

Date: January 02, 2018 09:50AM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I didn't note who accused me a few days ago, and
> certainly haven't kept a log over the years.

Just looking for some context. Didn't ask you to memorize anything.

I didn't see the thread where someone accused you of that, so I had no context. It would have been enough to say there was a thread where someone here accused you.

Date: January 02, 2018 10:29AM

Date: January 02, 2018 10:34AM

What's with the attitude? I just asked a simple question...

Date: January 02, 2018 10:35AM

I answered your question and got more lecturing.

Date: January 02, 2018 11:33AM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I answered your question and got more lecturing.

You got an explanation as to why I asked the question.
Not "lecturing."

Date: January 02, 2018 11:19AM

It's a good topic to raise at regular intervals. The Mormon church has conditioned its members to constantly accept intrusive calls and visits. For some people, it is a revolutionary concept that they don't need to respond to any sort of caller if they do not wish to. They don't need to pick up the phone and they don't need to open their door. In fact, it is often unwise to do the latter.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 09:33AM

I am a Christian, but it bothers me how much protection religious groups get when it comes to solicitation/harassment.

Before I moved, I went to City Hall in my old home town to get my mom's house added to the town's No-Knock registry. I was chatting with the lady at the desk about how much the missionaries had been annoying us and she started rambling on about how religious representatives were exempt from the No-Knock laws. Harassment is harassment - it doesn't matter if it is from the representative of a church or not.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 04:59PM

Silliness and Ring let you answer your doorbell from any where they won't know if you're home or not and you never have to unlock the door at all. Plus a video record of who comes to your door.

Posted by: mother who knows ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 07:32PM

Children, especially need to learn this!

Summer is right, Mormons are conditioned to answer the ringing bell. They are also brainwashed to think that missionaries and other Mormons at their door are NOT soliciting, but are there to do help them, to offer them something wonderful, instead of to make demands on their time or take their money.

My Mormon grandchildren always run to immediately answer the doorbell, and open the door wide, of whoever's house they are in. This is a dangerous habit!

Mormon children are taught to respect and obey all Mormon adults--even the abusive ones. My son opened the door to a Mormon thug who had been harassing us him over the phone all afternoon, to attend a YM "standards night", the night before a test and paper were due at school. Both my son and I had told him "no", several times. My son opened the door, and the huge man tried to grab him, and chased him into the living room, where I walked in and found him trying to pick up my son and carry him out of our house. When I told him my son was not going to go, and that I was the parent, and I made the rules, the man actually argued with me. I told him, and I would call the police if he didn't stop manhandling my son. He was trespassing.

Mormon children, and many child-like Mormon adults don't know who is dangerous and who is not. Why take a risk? Normal people don't bang on our door after dark, and keep banging until we answer. Normal people don't harass and stalk children. Something is wrong with people like that, and we have every right to kick them out of our house. "I'm a Mormon" is no explanation; it is a warning.

Date: January 03, 2018 07:10AM

It's being smart and protecting your safety. Children shouldn't open the door to strangers including mormons they might know slightly.

Date: January 03, 2018 09:10AM

I agree. Young children should be trained to never open the door, period. Older kids (12+) might have some leeway if it's a trusted neighbor or friend and they have their parents' permission.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 01:44PM

I've lived in the house I'm in for the last 17 years. I moved in about a year I formerly left the church. About a year after that, a couple of missionaries came to the door to ask how I was doing and if my wife was still interested in attending church. I explained that I was fine and that my wife was never a member and never attended church and would never be interested in attending church. They were nice - they listened and then left. That was the first and last time I've ever seen mormons on our street. It's been a wonderful 15 years.

Oh, by the way, the house next door is for sale.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.