Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 12:15PM

true for anyone else?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 12:34PM

Oh, easily.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 12:51PM

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 01:56PM

Interesting guy. Actually went to a theological college and was ordained. Never let his religious views on his "Neighborhood". Life long vegetarian. Like you said- honest, decent guy.

Posted by: pugsly ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 02:51PM

Loved Mr.Rogers.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 03:09PM

Remember that the charter document of Mormonism, the BoM, starts out with the hero chopping off someone's head.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 03:35PM

I watched him, but my convert parents were well advised to not allow mischievous lads like myself to watch evil shows on PBS. This came from our local PH leaders. Sesame Street was another TV show that was bad for children.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 03:58PM

Of course, Sesame Street was evil. It portrayed minorities in a good light.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 06:34PM

I loved Mr. Rogers too. He was love.

Date: December 18, 2017 07:55PM

You can always catch Mr. Rogers on syndicated television.

And love lives forever.

He's been a staple for gosh, four generations already.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 11:40PM

I wonder how many generations of kids thought to themselves, I wish that Mr. Rogers was MY Daddy, and that he acted like that when he came home. Such a kind, gentle, not-scary guy.

I suffered for years from serious cog-dis while trying to make a nice Mother's Day card. What was the point of making a lovely, flowery, lovey-mushy card for someone who generally behaved like a Tasmanian Devil with rabies? And yet, if I tried to explain this to anyone at school, I got in trouble.

Fortunately, our principal lived in our neighborhood. He knew what my mother was like, on her own home turf. That helped.

Date: December 19, 2017 10:02AM

Your mom and mine could have been twins.

My friends in our country block would tell me they dreaded my mom.

She had been trained in the method school of acting in NYC as a young woman, before marrying my dad.

She really got into character whatever parts she played.

Including at home!

She was the stake drama director for several years during my childhood. At Halloween she'd dress up as a witch for the children's parties. She wore her hair down to her waist then, and it was naturally black. Between her makeup and costume, the witches pot w/brew; my mom pulled it off brilliantly.

There were times I felt like Dorothy of Kansas to her Miss Gulch.

My relatives would tell me years later after I grew up that my mom hated me because I was such a sweet child. (I was her only daughter.) I was a daddy's girl; never a mama's girl at home. There were occasions mom and I had to bond.

Those are the memories I cherish now; not the times she was distant.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 04:12PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 06:42PM

I learned more about love from Dragonball Z for christ's sakes.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 19, 2017 04:57AM

Not just accepting others that were different but seeking them out and embracing those differences. I also give credit to him and the Science Lady that had the show from UofU with any shred of process/problem solving I have. I still remember the segment he did on how bubble gum was made. It opened a whole new world for me. Funny, now that is an industry DH kinna works in. Mr. Rogers and the Science Lady were two of the strongest influences of my childhood and altogether I could count them on one hand with two Great Aunts and one GGreat Aunt.

Above all, Mr. Rogers was KIND.

Fun fact - his Momma made his sweaters :)

Date: December 19, 2017 10:04AM

How he treasured those sweaters she made.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 19, 2017 02:02PM

Fred even had an asteroid named after him...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/26858_Misterrogers

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 23, 2017 03:47AM

I can remember watching Mr. Rogers once, with my son, who about about 4 or 5 at the time.

Out of the blue, my son murmured, "I wish Daddy was nice, like Mr. Rogers." I had to choke back my tears.

I had married a classic abuser, the type who was charming during courtship and then turned the monsters loose after marriage. My own father had been a sweetheart who had treated my mother as if she were the Queen. They had a lovely marriage, which ended tragically when he died at only 42. I truly believe that he was the only person she was ever able to love.

With my Dad being the kind of guy he was, I had no idea that men could be abusive. It was a very rude awakening.

As an adult, my son has a cordial but distant relationship with his father.

I have shared old reruns of "Mr Rogers" with my granddaughters, and they like him, too. Fred Rogers just radiated "nice."

Date: December 23, 2017 07:08AM

He is like a father figure to millions, isn't he?

He epitomizes manhood IMO. Some regarded him as effeminate. I found his tenderness and sensitivity to be more demonstrative of what it means to be a mensch.

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: December 19, 2017 05:17PM

I never liked Mr. Rogers for some reason. I'd see that train with the puppets come on and change the channel.

I did, however, like Three's Company. And MASH. My dad came home from work at 5:30 and we had to sit down to dinner immediately, so I usually missed Three's Company. Irritated me.

Date: December 23, 2017 07:13AM

I enjoyed Three's Company and Mash as a young adult.

Mr. Rogers didn't actually begin as a series before I was in my sub-teens. By then I could watch it while babysitting at the neighbors. And found it enchanting for young children, and myself because I could 'tag along.'

When I was young my 'educational' show was probably Captain Kangaroo. That was the one I watched religiously each morning in grade school. They were some characters that made it fun for children to watch and learn.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.