Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 17, 2017 02:57PM

How did you like it?

One of my children watched it two days ago when it first came out, and gave it a two thumbs up.

I'm hoping to see it this week, but avoid long lines so will likely see it after the ticket sales slow down a bit.

(May the force be with you!)

;-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Afraid of Mormons ( )
Date: December 17, 2017 03:20PM

Most of my family has seen it, and they all really liked it--all 3 hours of it. I babysat the littlest ones here at home, but it is a movie for all ages.

Almost everyone I know is going to see it!

People are pretty good at not talking about it, though, to not spoil any surprises for anyone. Because of Star Wars loyalty, you will have to wait and see for yourself!

How fun to have a great new release for Christmas! This is part of our ex-Mormon family Christmas traditions.

For the old folks, "The Man Who Invented Christmas" is good.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: December 17, 2017 03:29PM

Chewy has a sister with the force. C3PO and R2D2 finally get married and have a kid, "C2PD3O."

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 17, 2017 03:54PM

Whoa!!! Is it legal to make fun of Star Wars?

Date: December 17, 2017 04:51PM

Is it only the "old folks" who remember Charles Dickens "Scrooge?"

There've been so many versions of Scrooge since I was a child, I thought it was timeless (like the ages.)

Besides the 1940's version, my earliest memory of Scrooge on television was the Mr. Magoo one. Loved it.

:-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2017 04:58PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 28, 2017 08:03PM

The 1951 version with Alistair Sim is the definitive version IMHO.

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: December 28, 2017 08:29PM

Damnn right, Ron! Alastair Sim takes it for me too.

Date: December 28, 2017 08:52PM

Oh, it was 1951? That's the same version I was rememberin'. Although I wasn't born yet - watched it as a rerun in the 1960's.

Great flick.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 17, 2017 03:26PM

I saw it last night, and really liked it.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: December 17, 2017 03:29PM

I saw it on Friday afternoon. The theater I went to had it showing on 5 screens so no problem getting a ticket. I saw the first movie that came out in the 70's when I was a young mother. I may have seen a couple of the other early ones, too. I did not see any of the recent ones until the one that came out last year.

I guess I am not a star wars fan because it was just ok for me. I did feel a certain sadness to see Carrie Fisher in the movie as I knew that she passed away shortly after filming this, her last movie.

Date: December 17, 2017 06:00PM

I saw the first one as a new graduate from high school.

My older brother who was a returned missionary by then watched it at least six times when it first came out. And has been a Star Wars fan ever since.

His children grew up with it - they were given no choice. :)

As for me, once was enough when it came out.

Watching it ever so often now on tv reruns is more than enough for me. Still love the first one the most. It's my favorite out of them all.

And then the one where Yoda was introduced. He's another favorite of mine.

It wasn't too much of a surprise when Fisher came out with her tell-all book shortly before her death about her off-screen romance with Harrison Ford. It was more of a surprise she kept it a secret for as long as she did.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: December 17, 2017 04:36PM

I heard it was awful from a lot of reviewers on youtube. The trailers didn't even excite me. I remember being more pumped when the first three star wars films were re-done and put on the big screen in the 90's. I was also pumped for the phantom menace and attack of the clones. Say what you want about attack of the clones but i loved it in theaters i think i was 19 at the time. Me and anakin both bitch all the time, i could relate. And we both were awful at talking to women and the anger problems i could go on and on.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 10:06AM

It's not awful.
It's really good.

The whiners on-line didn't like that they didn't get to find out Snoke's entire backstory, nor who Rey's parents really were (there's mention of them, but it's from a character lying to her).

Saw it Friday morning (we had our company "christmas party" Friday, it started with all of us seeing The Last Jedi, then lunch at Islands, then four hours at a local micro-brewery. None of that fancy-schmancy dress-up party stuff for us geeks!).

Date: December 21, 2017 04:44PM

Well i do trust you more than the youtubers so i think i will go see it on the big screen. You did live on naboo at one time after all hahaha you know star wars better than most. I really want to see that scene with all the big walkers, the at-ats but bigger.

Date: December 21, 2017 05:01PM

Enjoy, badass!

Sadly, no Naboo in it, so I couldn't reprise my role...:)

Date: December 24, 2017 06:53PM

Hahahaha now that's funny. But if they did have naboo you would be there for sure haha. I will probably watch it tomorrow hopefully not too many people will be there.

Date: December 17, 2017 04:48PM

Well it's sold out in my neighborhood. Will have to wait until this coming week to see it.

:)

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 17, 2017 05:06PM

Date: December 17, 2017 05:54PM

Then I really can't wait to see it.

Plus knowing it will be the last film Carrie Fisher will be in.

It's the end of a saga for her.

Date: December 18, 2017 02:47AM

It's scored $450 million in its opening weekend, worldwide.

Compare to the "Force Awakens," in 2015 raked in 248 million in its opening weekend.

It's the second leading box office opening to date.

Carrie would be proud.

Mark Hamill wasn't crazy with the way the director was going until he saw the finished product. Now he's on board.

:)

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 03:47AM

I saw it Saturday with my dad, and enjoyed it even though it didn't turn out the way I had hoped. I was really hoping they'd finally formally introduce the "Gray Jedi" -- a middle ground between the goodie-two-shoes Jedi and the evil Sith -- and even have Ray go down that path. Gray Jedi are not beholden to the Jedi Council or Code, but they don't fall to the Dark Side either. I find it odd that Star Wars talks so much about "balance," only to introduce characters on each side who kind of cancel each other out. Where is the "balance" when it's always the Good Guys fighting the Bad Guys? Why not introduce a main character who actually embodies Balance by blazing a path right down the middle?

The completely black-and-white paradigm between the Jedi and Sith in the Star Wars universe has always bothered me, especially since I left Mormondom, which always portrayed itself as the Ultimate Good. Why do we humans seem to gravitate toward fiction which glorifies this "two-path-only" idea? Why must it always be a battle between Good™ and Evil™, with no gray area in between? Jedi vs. Sith, Superhero vs. Villain, God vs. Devil, it's all the same: totally unrealistic. And I think it gives people and especially kids some very wrong and potentially dangerous notions about life in general. There is no Pure Good or Pure Evil in life, only shades of gray, and I appreciate fiction which actually acknowledges that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2017 03:52AM by oneinbillions.

Date: December 18, 2017 10:09AM

oneinbillions Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The completely black-and-white paradigm between
> the Jedi and Sith in the Star Wars universe has
> always bothered me, especially since I left
> Mormondom, which always portrayed itself as the
> Ultimate Good. Why do we humans seem to gravitate
> toward fiction which glorifies this
> "two-path-only" idea? Why must it always be a
> battle between Good™ and Evil™, with no gray
> area in between?

Dude, think about Annakin's entire story for a moment...his life is one big gray area. :)
So, actually, are the stories of most of the characters -- both Jedi and Sith (with Palpatine being one of the few exceptions).

Date: December 21, 2017 04:17PM

Darth Maul was pretty bad with no grey but you probably met the guy on set.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 10:16AM

So true OIB....this black/white thinking is what has infected our political system and made it almost impossible to get anything done in Congress. Not to mention this type of thinking is what brought us our current administration which only is making things worse. Too many "battle lines being drawn", and as the song goes, " nobody's right when everybody's wrong". I'm afraid our country is heading for trouble if this polarization continues. I know I sound like " Mr. Obvious" here, but maybe the Obvious slips by at times if not pointed out. The whole " Star Wars" theme has been good vs evil and has reinforced this paradigm as reality. Maybe we should question its influence on our society and the possible negative consequences of promoting this type of thinking.

Posted by: grudunza ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 09:51AM

There’s a lot to love. As a film, I liked Force Awakens a tiny bit better, but this one has many great moments. Also some nice meta messages that we here would likely relate to, about... nah, that would be a spoiler.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2017 09:52AM by grudunza.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 11:06AM

Is it worth seeing in 3D or just keep to the 2d?

There is an IMAX theater close by and usually skip on the 3D because it become annoying to me overtime and at times the 3D part if often forgotten.

Date: December 18, 2017 11:08AM

I saw it in 2D. Didn't feel like I missed anything :)

Date: December 21, 2017 04:07PM

Were you in this one hie? Haha i think i will see it on the 25th. Heard it was bad and good so don't know what to believe.

Date: December 18, 2017 11:29AM

On the big screen I don't feel like I'm missing anything to watch a movie in 2D.

Sometimes the 3D is too much overdrive for me ie, with special effects and sensationalism already in force.

Polar Express is one movie was worth seeing in 3D IMO.

Date: December 18, 2017 10:10PM

I went to IMAX today. $11 matinee.

I enjoyed the film. There were parts in it that I could tell they wanted the audience to laugh at them but only heard a few chuckles or none at all. Tough crowd.

One scene is in the trailer where Chewy is flying the ship. He Growls, and then camera pans down and one of the birds growls/yells too. Cute little animal. I hardly heard a peep from the audience.

Probably 40 people in the theater. I went mid-day.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 02:03PM

As a movie it was entertaining and exciting. A bit slow in the middle but an overall well spent time being entertained.

The fanboy in me hated it.

Date: December 18, 2017 10:11PM

The main story line and small missions....was kind of weak.

Nothing really to epic as huge battles. Oh well. Rebels have always been a small group.

The 3rd film will need to require the rebels to hire mormon missionaries to recruit 50,000 more soldiers for the cause.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 02:14PM

I knew my boyfriend wanted to see it and so I went. I actually do like Star Wars, but not the biggest fan I know. I slept through the one 2 years ago twice (I was on strong meds for shingles). I haven't seen it all the way through yet.

I loved the movie--so much so that I bought my ex and son tickets for later in the day.

I really liked Luke. He was my favorite. I liked the Asian girl, too. I liked them all, but those were the 2 I liked.

Star Wars came out when I was waiting for a missionary. He wanted to see it so bad, so he asked me to go see it. I wasn't impressed. I told him so. I grew to like it a lot. My little brother went to see it 32 times. ha ha ha ha His son when he was small (1 to 2 years old) would walk around humming the music.

If you live in Utah, you just have to wait until Sunday to see these movies that people line up for. The theater wasn't even full. Nobody sat next to us. Thank goodness.

Anyone remember how mormons compare/compared the movies with mormonism? The dark side, etc.? I was explaining it to my boyfriend yesterday and joking about me going over to the dark side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2017 02:15PM by cl2.

Date: December 22, 2017 02:01PM

Maybe that is why my RM brother took to it so well as he did. He watched it half a dozen times when it was first released. His children grew up with the films and the trilogies. They're all schooled in the Star Wars series.

It's almost a religion. Yeah, can see where/how the 'dark side' gets compared to good v. evil Mormons grow up with.

I still haven't seen it. It's so cold here I may wait until it warms up some.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 10:12PM

Posted by: TBM ( )
Date: December 19, 2017 01:30AM

Date: December 19, 2017 12:06PM

I will wait until it shows up on my sat TV movie channel(s) next year....going to the theater is just not enjoyable.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: December 19, 2017 01:00PM

We don't go to theaters anymore either. Last few times we went, there were so many people talking, babies crying, etc. that it just wasn't worth it. When it comes out on Blu-ray in a few months, I'll just buy it and watch it on my big screen TV from the comfort of my recliner.

Date: December 21, 2017 04:11PM

I hate going to movies as well. Being around people drives me nuts sadly. Not good with crowds but maybe with my new anxiety med i will do alright.

Date: December 19, 2017 01:45PM

The newest Winston Churchill flick out I may see before The Last Jedi.

"The Darkest Hour" starring Gary Oldman is supposed to be very good.

Oldman sounds just like Churchill did, in the previews.

It's really being hyped in our local commercials. Maybe it wasn't the big box office success it was hoping for.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 01:58PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: December 21, 2017 07:29AM

Saw it last night. It was good, but it sort of drifted around too much to be great. It felt more like one of the new Star Trek movies than a Star Wars movie (I like the new Star Trek movies, but I'm not overly fond of them as Star Wars). There was a lot to like, but also a lot that annoyed me. It is not even close to being the best Star Wars movie, but it is also nowhere near being the worst. It's entertaining. Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley are absolutely brilliant. While I'm not a fan of how they wrote Luke Skywalker, Mark Hamill is brilliant. Watch it for no other reason than enjoying those 3.

Date: December 28, 2017 01:41AM

Will do sparty, the theater has been way too crowded for me to go thus far so i think i am going to wait until winter break is over for the kids to go back to school and just watch it during the day or something in the middle of the week.

Posted by: Sweets ( )
Date: December 22, 2017 11:15AM

I love Star Wars and saw the original (A New Hope) many times in high school when it first came out. I saw the new release a couple of days ago. It is worth seeing, but I really did not like some of the changes to the premise of the story. The use of the Force in particular really bothered me. It’s used as magic but I won’t say more so no spoilers! I also felt there were lots of plot holes. Mark Hamill was wonderful in the movie, but Luke acted totally out of characters IMO. My son pegged it: So Jedi get PTSD? Go see it but it’s not as good as people are saying. Star Wars should have ended honestly after the first trilogy. Now it’s going to unending Star Wars movies a la Disney.

Date: December 22, 2017 11:50AM

It believe Star Wars will be making movies in perpetuity - for your children, mine, and theirs.

It's all about the money for the movie makers. If it makes money, then they're going to keep churning them out.

The Last Jedi is now the second largest grossest sales for a box office opening weekend in Hollywood history.

Hollywood loves its Star Wars.

"A New Hope" came out the end of my senior year in high school. It was and still is probably my favorite out of them all with the original cast.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 22, 2017 12:29PM

Sweets,it got a lot of bad reviews on Rotton Tomatoes for that reason. People thought they trashed Luke. I havent seen it yet so cant make an informed opinion, but a lot of fans arent happy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2017 12:48PM by bona dea.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: December 23, 2017 08:22AM

Mixed feelings.

The treatment of Luke was really out of character.

Of course, if you watch the YouTube videos, lots of people want to go on about how it didn't meet their personal expectations. They thought certain plot lines were going to be resolved, but they weren't. That led to disappointment.

The way they approached TLJ was like a person who goes to a concert only knowing one song by the band they're seeing. They wait the whole concert for that song, and if they don't hear it, the concert sucked. If the band does a different arrangement, the concert sucked.

With YouTube, everybody's a film critic. And many of them have no business commenting on films. They have no idea what the market wants, only what they personally wanted to see.

If you're having a hard time digesting TLJ, think of it was a dream Kylo Ren might have in a bacta tank after losing to Rey on Starkiller base. That explains everything. No joke!

T-Bone

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 23, 2017 10:58PM

The negatives must be having an impact; Drudge says the newest one is 120 million dollars behind the next most recent.

ETA: Now, on 12/24, in the early afternoon, Drudge has updated the minus factor to $175 million, which they got from

http://www.showbiz411.com/2017/12/24/box-office-update-fans-speak-with-closed-wallets-as-the-last-jedi-now-175-mil-behind-force-awakens

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2017 03:18PM by elderolddog.

Date: January 06, 2018 02:14AM

Yes, the negative reviews are having an impact. From some very unscientific sources, I've heard that hardcore fans go over and over, and that can drive sales. However, most long-term fans see it once and they've had enough of the political messages being crammed down their throats.

There was no development of the characters. For example, the first time we're introduced to the purple-haired Admiral Holdo Poe doesn't even know who she is. Isn't that odd, considering the fact that there were only a few hundred members of the resistance left alive at that point. And why is she wearing a dress for the Oscars. Leia was a strong female leader but she dressed the part.

Also, though I was blown away by her heroic self-sacrifice and the related special effects, it came way too late and it does not add up with what we're used to seeing when ships make the jump to hyperspace in the Star Wars universe.

That's just the beginning of the problems in this, um, movie.

T-Bone

Date: December 24, 2017 08:50PM

Was pretty good.

I see an Oscar nomination in his future ... for best actor.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: December 28, 2017 05:38PM

If Oldman doesn't win it there is no justice. Brilliant piece of work from an outstanding actor. Streets ahead of anyone else.

Date: December 26, 2017 12:40AM

Just saw it a second time. I liked it a lot more this time.

Spoiler alert!

The part with Leia flying through space like Mary Poppins is still goofy as shit.

Luke throwing the lightsaber over his shoulder is a bit goofy, something Yoda would do.

However, there is a SJW element to it, though. When the rebels are evacuating their base at the beginning of the movie, all the people in control are women. The female pilots are calm and in control. The men scream and lose their composure. If that happens once or twice, it goes unnoticed. However, it happened over and over in this movie.

Poe gets slapped, demoted, and humiliated. Total SJW crap.

About Luke not being willing to go fight Kylo, it does echo back to Yoda's quote, "Wars not make one great" from The Empire Strikes Back. But it also goes against all the thing Luke did before. He wanted to submit his application to the academy. He left Yoda to go fight Darth Vader. He was always ready for a fight.

It also goes against Ben's attitude about going to rescue Leia. So I don't think every Jedi who loses one a padawan to the dark side has to go in to hiding and never come back when their help is requested.

However, overall a good movie.

T-Bone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2017 12:41AM by T-Bone.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: December 26, 2017 09:45PM

Saw it this afternoon, had not intended to, but Darkest Hour was sold out. I liked it, but agree it was bittersweet knowing Cari Fisher could never be in another. Great nephew liked it enough that he sat through it a second time with me.

Date: January 06, 2018 03:01AM

Just got home from seeing the late screening. OK movie. I watched it with some melancholy knowing that it was Carrie's last appearance on screen (and maybe Mark Hamill's?)....but a new Jedi warrior emerges and that little boy at the end has game too.

Date: January 06, 2018 04:53PM

Oh, very cool.

I still want to go see it while it's still in theaters. With the temps below zero again here today I'm waiting for it to thaw a bit before I venture out to watch a movie.

Planning to see Despicable Me 3 at home on Netflix this afternoon. It may be goofy, but I'm still just a big kid at heart.

Date: January 06, 2018 07:43PM

I've seen them all (except Rogue One) in order. Been a fan since the first release Episode 4. This one is pretty dark. JJ Abrams will direct Episode 9 and has said it will tie all three trilogy's together. Hope I'm around to enjoy it.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 06, 2018 11:47PM

I cheated--I got to see a free screening at Disney and I still liked it.

It hits all the 'Star Wars' classic references plus stuff blows up real good.

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 04:57AM

Yawn...

Posted by: samwitch ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 12:13PM

Director Rian Johnson's boast that he set out to "break" Star Wars turned out to not be a good thing. It's visually beautiful and has great performances by Carrie Fisher and Adam Driver, but the scriptwriting (also by Johnson) is terrible. Plot holes, continuity issues, inconsistencies, and maddening illogic abound.

What may have bothered me the most, though, was the lack of technology (and imagination). Forget future-tech; this Star Wars doesn't even have 2017 tech like biometric ID, basic surveillance, and nuclear-powered space ships that don't need to carry all their fuel with them (lest they, you know, get stranded in intergalactic space or something). There's also a crew of exploited orphans straight out of Oliver Twist, a "Free Willy" subplot, and a subverted heroic self-sacrifice -- none of which land the way they're supposed to.

It has a few payoff moments, but many more head-scratching, "WTF?" ones. If you go in with low expectations, ignore all EU lore, and avoid thinking much, it's sort of an enjoyable ride.

Date: January 07, 2018 12:55PM

"If you go in with low expectations, ignore all EU lore, and avoid thinking much, it's sort of an enjoyable ride."

Thanks for the tip-off. I shall try to.

My Star Wars fan adult child went to watch Star Wars on opening night at midnight.

Because it was so long a movie, add he'd had a bit to drink before it started he dozed part-way through.

He's making plans to see it again for the parts he missed. Overall he enjoyed watching it though.

Date: January 07, 2018 07:16PM

I finally was able to watch the movie tonight!

The force was with them. And also with us moviegoers. ;-)

No spoiler alerts from me.

I give it a "two thumbs up," especially knowing it is Carrie Fisher's last film.

Adam Driver isn't half-bad either.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.