Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 16, 2017 06:02AM

I just found out that there is a new position in the LDS church- an official calling to elderly folks to serve a new kind of mission. This one is to be a 40-hr per week actual, set-apart calling to try to reactivate folks like us.

I kid you not. My 80-yo cousin and her husband were just called.

Just so you know, they are the happiest people in the world to have such a calling. Their whole lives- as with most of my family- revolves around the church. They don't see it as a burden at all, and in no way feel deprived of a peaceful retirement.

But the rest of us will never have any peace...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2017 06:05AM by slskipper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ProvoX ( )
Date: December 16, 2017 06:32AM

Good luck wid dat...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 16, 2017 06:44AM

yet more people that want to bother me.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 16, 2017 08:36AM

A 40 hour work week for a pair of 80 year olds? I would call that cruel and unusual. The Mormon church is getting desperate for tithe-paying members.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 16, 2017 08:40AM

They are going to enjoy little to no success and feel so guilty about it that they'll rewrite their wills to way increase what they leave to the church.

Pretty crafty of los mormones bigwigs, huh?

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: December 16, 2017 09:34AM

I think it's elder abuse. How disgusting. So, tscc thrives on taking advantage of the very young and the very old. Oh, I just hate it so much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2017 09:34AM by Aquarius123.

Posted by: Afraid of Mormons ( )
Date: December 16, 2017 11:25AM

Thank you for this information, slskipper!

I know EXACTLY which couple has been called to this mission! He was a former mission president, and is about 80, and she is a little younger. They moved into the ward at about the time my kids and I resigned. They never even spoke to me, and now, all of a sudden, I get a special Christmas present from them, and a card extolling my musical talents (they never heard me play) and telling me what a wonderful parent and grandparent I am, and how great my family is, bla-bla. (They have never been around me and my grandchildren, and all but one of my children are still ex-Mormons.)

I have been wondering why, all of a sudden, have they decided I'm worth acknowledging.

I should have known. Mormons usually have an agenda.

Possibly, the Mormons could be nicer to others, including people like us. That would spread a little more kindness around. We would probably like them a little bit more. But--no amount of flattery and gushing and fake-fellowshipping can change the BOM, Book of Abraham, Mormon polygamy, JS's perversions and crimes, TBM's hatred of gays, Mormon abuse, Mormon money-grabbing, etc.

There's money in it for the cult. One person returning--one of me or one of my children, could mean 10% of a dandy little income. The Mormon neighbors can see my house from their church parking lot, and they could be salivating over the possibility of my dying early, and leaving some of it to their cult--NOT!!!

It makes me puke.

My daughter lives down the street from me, and she wanted to include this neighbor in our neighbor-gift giving, and I just said, "Well, we haven't exchanged gifts for the last 10 years, so why start now." This was before I read this post.

Date: December 16, 2017 12:30PM

That's truly awful that they are approaching even people who are resigned.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 17, 2017 05:35PM

Actually, it's not the same couple. My cousin and her husband were never mission presidents. It seems that this is becoming a church-side initiative.

Posted by: nevermo4 ( )
Date: December 16, 2017 11:48AM

Oh the irony of having family inactive/out and getting this kind of calling.

I always think missionaries or people with this type of calling would be better off with a family reactivation project.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: December 16, 2017 12:03PM

I don't think their testimonies will survive very long confronting folks like us. It won't be a matter of dealing with rejection so much as defending their position of belief. I would see it as an opportunity to introduce some interesting aspects of Mormonism to these people.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: December 16, 2017 12:05PM

Wow. I cannot imagine folks like these coming to my home. They would be treated no better than pesky JW's.

On a related note:

We were in Florida sitting on the front porch of our son's place when approached by some JW's a few weeks ago. The home is in a great location and it is relaxing watching people walk by with their dogs or pushing baby strollers, some of which have dogs inside instead of babies. Many wave and say hi as they go on their way. Any how back to the JWs. It was not just 2 or 3, but 5 JW's in a group that turned onto the sidewalk to talk to us. They were well dressed and appeared to be 3 generations of the same family working together. I happened to be reading my son's book "The Portable Atheist" by Christopher Hitchens while enjoying a cold beer when this occurred. I was relaxed and not interested in any confrontation with a cult. I simply and calmly stated, "We are not interested in any more religion." The leader of the pack thanked me for being so polite to them. I thought that an interesting response. They turned and hit on the next home.

Date: December 16, 2017 12:29PM

As a single woman, I would be very angry if a pack of strangers approached me. I would consider it very threatening. It amazes me that Mormons and JWs consider it perfectly normal to send groups of church members to people's homes.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 17, 2017 05:08PM

Your own reply was superb, Eric, and I may "borrow" it ;-)

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: December 16, 2017 01:21PM

Well, let's see. I am not a mormon. I haven't been a mormon for years. If these re-activation missionaries are given a list of "inactives" then that answers the question of resigning really doesn't get us off their list...it moves us to the "deplorables" section.

Why would ANY member want to tackle that assignment?? If ANYONE representing the LDS church comes knocking on my door because I am the target of a rejoin or reactivate campaign, they are going to get an earful from me. This, IMHO, is harassment, pure and simple.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: December 16, 2017 02:49PM

From what I hear from the young missionaries over the last several years, it appears that they spend a lot of their time trying to reactivate those they call "less active." I have the impression they spend more time doing this than tracting or searching for new investigators. Also, I don't hear them using the term "inactive," even for those who are obviously inactive instead of less active.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2017 03:01PM by commongentile.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: December 16, 2017 03:08PM

I don't think any of those called will ever call on me as I am regarded as hopeless.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: December 16, 2017 03:14PM

Sounds like a job for me

Posted by: hoser ( )
Date: December 16, 2017 08:41PM

We know they troll RfM and other sites, and read how we laugh at the snot-nosed mishies trying to tell adults what to believe and how to live. They're using older folk because they - probably rightly - figure at least we won't turn the hose on 'em, and wind up on the evening news.

Neither would they be so susceptible to facts, nor if influenced by facts, leave with all their little future tithers .

"Gramps, God has called you, you especially, to go into the darkest of dens, because he knows your steady patience and spiritual strength. He has revealed your calling to be one of great import to your everlasting existence..."

LDS knows no shame.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 16, 2017 10:23PM

I’ve known two sets of member-missionaries called to reactivate apostates. Both sets have been friendly to me. However, both sets have struggled with my sense of humor. (Hey, I’ve even toned it down for them).

After removing my name, the visits stopped. Sometimes just to mess with them, I go over to their homes to visit them. They welcome me and say “we really ought to get together.” Sure, as though that’s ever going to happen :)

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: December 17, 2017 08:50PM

Old folks need educating too. Especially the tiny, old, vacant Mormon mind.

Who won't have any peace?

I make peace so I'll not be affected.

The tenant farmers (morbid member missionaries) will be the ones w/o peace.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 10:39PM

There is a late 80's aged couple in my old ward who sound perfect for this mission. They have been on multiple senior missions and suffered many severe health problems along the way but aren't dead yet. They are deluded to the max. You couldn't convince them in a million years that all the time they spent as missionaries was wasted. They are building their mansion in heaven and know that all that effort will get them some pretty wonderful eternal real estate.

If they are knocking at my door there is nobody home. I've been staying in an apartment closer to my Mom's retirement village. It's great being un-reachable!!! Nobody has my cell phone number either. And if they somehow get it, I never answer numbers that are unrecognizable or not familiar to me.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 18, 2017 11:19PM

I don't even care for red wine much, but DD does, so we always have it around.

I would tell the visitors that my doctor prescribed a shot of this every evening, "for my heart, you know, it's very good for you." And toss one back.

Just to let them know who they were dealing with. And then say, sweetly, "Ah, yes. You were saying??"

The local ward hasn't wasted any "come-back-we-miss-you" visitors on us for ages. I think they know it is a waste of effort.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: December 19, 2017 08:25AM

That's too bad. I won't get any pleasure telling someone's grandparents to piss off.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.