Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 06:12PM

Reading Bible verses six hours a day isn't going to help:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2017/12/05/documents-transgender-teen-wants-treatment-parents-want-christian-based-therapy/924186001/

Time is crucial -- without intervention and medical treament this teen's quality of life will be greatly diminished -- and trying to correct post-puberty secondary sex characteristics is expensive, difficult, and almost impossible.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2017 07:03AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 06:31PM

It sounds like the teen has representation along with advocates and will get a fair hearing.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 11:56PM

turned into a MEGA-clickbait war for me. One ad piling on top of another. I would close one only to have more appear. I finally gave up on trying to finish the article.

Is that a kind of "censorship by irritation?"

Date: December 08, 2017 07:03AM

Posted by: Anonymous989 ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 11:46AM

"without intervention and medical treament this teen's quality of life will be greatly diminished"

The real question is will this teen's quality of life be improved with intervention and medical treatment? I can understand the parents concern for their child doing something irreversible to their body, which they believe may or may not lead to a happy life. I also understand the teen is just about mature enough to do what they want anyways, but while still being quite young needs to start this process early.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: December 11, 2017 02:03PM

Both of those studies were inconclusive despite the positive headline. In fact, family support was the greatest single impact.

And in the 2014 study by the AFSP sponsored by The Williams Institute suicide rates actually INCREASE among transgender/transsexual who are "out".

Finally 43% of all adolescents diagnosed with gender dysmorphia grow out of it (or grow into their biological sex, depending on how you frame it)

Since whether or not your child suicides is a coin flip whether or not suppressive chemicals are taken, and there is almost the same chance they will "grow out of it" (not the right phrase I know) subjecting a child to suppresive therapy is child abuse.

We do not let children make other, far less consequential and irreversible lifelong decisions, while their brains are developing.

While the parents might consider "Christian Therapy" to be the right answer they are also wrong. Religion and gender dysmorphia are both mental illnesses.

However, since the greatest opportunity for a healthy adult is family support, counseling is of magnitudes of order better than chemicals, as long as it is not a right/wrong therapy where the therapist has a predetermined outcome.

And there are some serious consequences to suppressing puberty even if the child in question does not "grow out of it" and transitions once they can give informed consent.

Date: December 11, 2017 10:26PM

https://www.ted.com/talks/norman_spack_how_i_help_transgender_teens_become_who_they_want_to_be

BTW, What do you think about this young lady? She had medical treatment at 12 and surgery at age 16.

She's unknown in America except for her status.

http://www.refinery29.com/2017/11/180505/kim-petras-slow-it-down-trans-artist

Why don't you do some research and actually go meet some of these children and find out for yourself?

You can't force a child to be something they don't want to be.

But you can help them be who they were meant to be.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2017 11:13PM by anybody.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.