Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 05:04AM

That's great Shummy. Thanks.

I just sent it to my 2 daughters ;-)

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 07:03AM

The language in this video didn’t offend me, but some of the comments certainly did. For example, the comment that encouraged beatings.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 08:11AM

I think teaching small children to use crude language is not a good thing.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 09:03AM

I think small children learn bad language anyway, from their peers and from adults.

Sexual harassment and sexism are definitely worse, to my mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2017 09:03AM by Soft Machine.

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 09:52AM

Distasteful!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 11:50AM

Who would dress up their daughters like beauty pageant contestants and then have them spew out such foul language over and over for exhibition?

Who enjoys watching that?

It exploits little girls in the worst possible way.

I didn't find it entertaining. I wondered how else they're being exploited off screen by their elders. Like little JonBenet Ramsey was sexually exploited until she was murdered. In all likelihood by either her parents or her brother.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2017 09:19AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 11:38PM

JonBenét Ramsey was what I was thinking also.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 09, 2017 03:08PM

I never heard Jonbenet use bad language though.It think there would be better ways of getting their views across. This almost certainly was staged by adults and would have been more effective if the girls had expressed themselves in their own way.

Also, Jonbenet's family has been cleared due to foreign male DNA being found in her underwear and a footprint made by a specific type of boot being found in the basement. No one in the family or on the police force or anyone else known to have been in the basement owned similar boots. This was a classic case of a mishandled case and a rush to judgement. Treatment may have used poor judgement in allowing their daughter to be in beauty pageants, but they didnt kill her. Her brother was nine years old and was also investigated and cleared.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2017 03:45PM by bona dea.

Posted by: Anon for This One ( )
Date: December 09, 2017 02:28AM

It was meant to make a point, and it certainly did.

I've been sitting here, trying to recall what disagreeable childhood experience this reminded me of. It took a while. Then I remembered.

Sometimes, my domineering mother and I would get into super-intense, heated arguments. Now and again, she would strike out, quick as a snake, and backhand me across the face.

"THERE!" she would exclaim. "Do I have your attention now?"

She most certainly had my attention. But it was not focused on whatever point she was trying to make. It was focused on what I would do, and how I would do it, to pay her back for that slap. I wanted revenge. Until I was big enough for "payback," I simply had to endure the churning anger in my gut.

It would be an understatement to say that we never had a "normal" mother/child dynamic.

Shock, plus the feeling of "this just isn't right" were provoked by that video.

The message is valid; the means of conveyance, not so much.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 05:34PM

I dunno. They seemed manipulated in a weird way.

It's one thing to empower girls and educate them about standing up for themselves and recognizing when they are being treated unfairly.

It's another to dress them up and teach them to be annoying, bossy, waving their fingers around being all that. They will not gain the respect they need in a corporate setting from men or other women, IMO. I think I can find better ways to empower and educate my granddaughter than that.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 06:07PM

One image that is forever burned in my brain is from the backstreets of Luxor.

Surrounded by a sea of starving beggar children I unwisely made eye contact with one little boy who couldn't have been more than 4.

As I turned to walk away I plainly heard the words "fuck fuck fuck you!"

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 09, 2017 12:48PM

Awful.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.