Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Thinking ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 10:49PM

I wrote this post regarding conspiracy theories.

Laughing out loud! We don't believe in conspiracy, but we believed Mormonism. By definition a conspiracy theory. People living in the times of kings and queens believed in the nobility to rule, another conspiracy. Nazism and communism in the 20th century? Conspiracy brought it to power! How about a monetary system controlled by dubious interests is today's world?

The chapters of history are footnoted by conspiracy. Shit doesn't magically happen!

You really think it’s not happening now? If you don't I have some prime land on Pluto to sell you. Rumor has it it’s going to be upgraded to a planet again!
Saying you don't believe in some people conspire is believing anti Mormon isn't true. Some bullshit some true.

Wake up.

>Mr. Big replied:
>Please, for your safety and those around you, get some >professional help. It can get better for you. Good luck.

My reply:

Mr. Big

First item to examine is the use of an ad hominem in your reply. A logical fallacy as a reply. Without responding the actual substance of the idea, out of hand, you are finding a way out. It’s akin to hearing something you don’t like as a Mormon and saying that person is anti without ever addressing the issue at hand. Good luck ever fining the truth. At that point it’s a wrestle with cognitive biases.

Now, let’s unpack what I said:

Two words must be defined, Conspiracy and Theory. Let me know if you have a more intelligent meaning of these words. Your feelings as related to definitions don’t matter, but what exists does.

1.Conspiracy according to Webster’s means: a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful.

2.Theory: a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained.

Let’s now combine those two words. A combination of ideas held from an independent source to explain something pertaining to a group of people. Whether the idea is factual or not requires more digging. Do you have a better definition?

My “claims”:

Conspiracy #1: Mormonism as a conspiracy? Look at the definition of the words. Hiding the fact, the leadership is hooking up with multiple women, underaged girls, and creating their own fiat currency is not lawful unlawful? Did these conversations happen? Well, of course they did. First word fits: conspiracy. Is that legal and did many people collude illegally? Many polygamists went to jail for a reason. Second word, I laid out a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something. Words actually do mean something.

Conspiracy #2 Kings and queens believed in the nobility to rule. Is it harmful to tell people you must support their every desire and urge because you have the divine right of kings? Within this system it was more for us and less for them. An axiom that lasts to this day with people in power. Adam Smith had a great quote to this effect. What a wonderful and harmful message to discuss while yoking the ignorant masses. See how the word harmful is related to conspiracy? Its not so much theory as it is history at this point. Plus look at all the conspiracy within the upper structures of power. The War of the Roses, The Streltsy during Peter the Greats time, and French and American revolutions for that matter were unlawful. How about the arrest and asset freezing in Saudi Arabia? All by the definition of the word are conspiracy. People in charge write the laws good or not.

Conspiracy #3: Nazism and Communism: There is a reason WHY both Hitler and Stalin were sent to prison. They were conspiring to over through the existing government. Those government had laws written to stop such a thing, hence the reason they were sent to prison. What does the word conspire mean again? “A secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful.” Causing a revolution is ALWAYS going to be unlawful and will never start in the open. It never has, as far as I have seen. The Founding Fathers of our country were breaking the law too. Were they conspiring? Look at what words mean. Of course they were.

Conspiracy #4: Figure out fiat currency. Wrap your mind around compounded interest. Understand why Americans are getting poorer and poorer. Why people live pay check to pay check. Why there is a HUGE gap between the rich and poor. This will require reading some books. I will give you a list. Why is there inflation and what role does it play in debasing a currency of a population? What’s it affects in the long term? Why was the FED created in secret? Passed by congress when most members where not present. Why are its shareholders or member banks all private? Its as Federal as Federal Express.

Mr. Big, conspiracy really does footnote history if you know it if you have a firm hold on the English language and the definitions of words. Are you sure you’re not the want in need of mental help. Mental gymnastics and ignorance can make one seem sane in a crazy world. Conspiracies theories are real, some real, and some imaged. Wake up or read some history books. Your worldview is subjected by what you think you know. Look up Bayesian inference.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hunkydory ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 12:29AM

Awesome post. Thank you so much.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 03:30AM

Sure, conspiracies exist, but not everywhere and not for everything. Many things just "happen" due to combinations of otherwise unrelated events.

When you start seeing conspiracies EVERYWHERE, it becomes pathological and you need to seek help.

Tom in Paris

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 05:44AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2017 05:45AM by anybody.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 06:22AM

From “The Abyss”:
Bud: Hippy, you think everything is a conspiracy.
Hippy: Everything is.

TSCC as a conspiracy of treasure-digging bums. Love it. They’re still at it.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 07:52AM

My dad served in the U.S. Navy during WW2 in the South Pacific area. Eleanor Roosevelt came to visit with my dad's group one day, and my dad said that she openly told everyone there, that "NOTHING in politics happens by chance."

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 12:19PM

Of course nothing in politics happens by chance -- it's people making decisions.

That, of course, does not mean that the US government brought down the twin towers by demolition. Or that we faked the moon landings. Or that any of the other full-of-nonsense claims "conspiracy theorists" make are true.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 12:36PM

I used to know a woman who was convinced that the death of Lady Diana Spencer was the result of a conspiracy. Why? Because she had studied all the evidence, and it turns out that while she died in the Tunnel du Pont de l'Alma, one of the cars driving through it could not be accounted for as the license plate was illegible from the camera footage. To her, the presence of one unexplainable car could mean only one thing: that that car DID IT.

And this is where religion comes in: some people will, rather reluctantly, accept everything that science can prove. But anything science cannot (yet) explain? GOD DID IT. There is a name for this theory, it's called the God of the Gaps.

Oh and btw, that missing car in the Alma Bridge Tunnel was an ancient rusty Fiat Panda, and it drove in the other direction anyway. Because God works in mysterious ways.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 03:34PM

Sorry but, to me, nothing in your OP makes any sense, whatsoever

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.