Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 11:24PM

For years, I've hiked with my buddies in Utah's stunning, priceless redrock country, notably in and around Escalante Grand Staircase and Bears Ears.

Now, with the sickening support of Zion's Brother Orrin Hatchet, these two magnificent national monuments have been designated not for saving, but for chopping up.

If there's a Great Spirit, it's time for it to show up.

http://www.gocomics.com/stevebenson/2017/12/05
_____

Read about the travesty here:

http://wilderness.org/blog/sad-5-lies-trump-administration-tells-about-its-radical-national-monument-attack

If the Great Spirit fails to appear to undo this damnable disaster, it's time for us to step up and get the job done.
_____

Related link: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2051218

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 12:21AM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 11:51PM

Good people don't despoil protected lands.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 12:30AM

At this point, I just hope that America survives the Trump Regime.

If anybody says "Cheer up. It can't get any worse," I find myself thinking, "Oh, but it can. The Orange One and his evil minions have just gotten started."

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 11:48AM

From Steve's linked article:

>LIE: National monuments shut people out of the land.

>TRUTH: National monuments ensure that many people can enjoy the land, not just rich developers or oil and mining companies.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/dec/06/trump-cuts-national-monuments-assault-humanity-fight-utah-bears-ears-grand-staircase-escalante

#Prevaricator 'n Chief

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2017 12:14AM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 01:04PM

Many years ago, when I lived in Utah, I also hiked in some of these areas. If I recall correctly, these were BLM lands so there was some exploratory drilling done. I recall seeing in a few areas remnants of core samples that had been taken. I even took one small piece home that I used for a paperweight for awhile. If it was economical to drill for oil there you'd think it would have already been done. This was 30 years ago!

Posted by: Gasgasgas ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 01:07PM

30 years ago, gas was about a buck a gallon. Now it fluctuates between 2 and 3. What might not have been profitable then very easily could be now.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 04:57PM

These areas were not protected as a Natl Monument by Obama until late 2016.

I am an outdoor enthusiast and like unspoiled land as much as the next guy, but I do think people are overreacting to some extent. Perhaps more focus should be on the Arctic Wildlife Refuge where there are yuge reserves and companies are drooling over it.

Posted by: Serge ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 05:13PM

I agree with you that people are overreacting. They were just designated monuments less than a year ago. I believe Utahans will act to protect their state. It is the same with net neutrality. How did the internet survive prior to it? And it was enacted just a few years ago.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 05:26PM

Actually, Grand Staircase/Escalante was created in 2000 by Clinton.

Posted by: Aghast ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 09:59PM

A baby was born less than twelve months ago, and so it's still okay to kill it, before it gets older. That's the reasoning?

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 02:20PM

Modern fracking has opened up areas that wouldn't produce back then.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 11:57PM

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 04:15PM

Actually this seems like a good thing. Mormon males of all ages will be able to tip boulders and whatever they feel a need to do in the great out of doors with no fear of prosecution.

Power in the priesthood!

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 05:54PM

Great cartoon, Steve. As always IMO :)

It will be interesting to follow the up-coming lawsuits that were threatened, should they materialize.

To those of you who mentioned the Goshutes as local to the areas in question: sorry to burst your bubble but they live nowhere near either of the areas in question. The larger of the bands of Goshutes occupies an area approximately 35 miles west of SLC and another smaller number live near the Utah/Nevada border. Both areas and number of individuals are extremely small in size, when compared to the numbers of the tribes who do live near both Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.