Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 05:33PM

This is just a rant.

The church LDS has started its December "Light the World" campaign again.

https://www.mormon.org/christmas/25-ways-25-days

As one of the few apostates in a very Mormon neighborhood, I have already been on the receiving end of this stupid campaign. If the church's campaign was really about helping others, I wouldn't be so annoyed with it. But it just seems like another attempt to activate inactives.

So far, I was invited to church by two people on Day 3 for "doing well on the Sabbath" theme. Yesterday's theme of "love thy neighbor" yielded cookies left on my doorstep, Facebook friend invitations and a text from a stranger who supposedly has a great desire to meet me. I'm getting attention from people who have never given me the time of day, even when I was active in the church. One person doesn't even reciprocate a "hello" when I wave and say "hi" to her and yet she thinks I'll somehow feel blessed by her cookies?

Insincere attempts at friendship just make you feel crummy and this has put me in a bad mood. Mormons don't understand that this type of attention doesn't make anyone feel good. It makes them feel like a project. It makes them feel like someone is trying to fix them.

Anyone else been on the receiving end of #Lighttheworld?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 05:48PM

I received a plastic, flickering tea light on my porch along with an invite to something I didn’t bother to read before tossing. I did keep the tea light. :)

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 06:40PM

No kidding.

My favorite mormon Christmas deal is the big "keep the Christ in Christmas" stuff. The beautiful outdoor live nativity which ends with a little sermon about how we mustn't let the frivolity and presents of this season keep us from remembering that it's all about the atonement of Christ-----

Ditto the December home-teaching theme. grrrr. I was especially impressed the year I got the ol' keep Christ in Christmas speech along with the side-comment that we know that Jesus was really born on April 6, so it doesn't matter about Christmas!!!

Way to go.

Yeah, the fake-friendship deal is so endearing. hmph.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 05:36AM

Facebook is lighting up with "inspirational" posts. One FB friend put up four in one day. My attitude is, you get to put up one inspirational post every once in a while. Anything more is an imposition.

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 07:21AM

That's what my Facebook feed looks like. My TBM Facebook "friends" are posting "Light the World" messages. Has the LTW overlay as their profile P pic. One lady is being overly obnoxious stating that we all should say, "Merry Christmas" and not Happy Holidays. You know, because Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and Ramadan does not matter. *eye roll*

Oh yeah...and I haven't been lovebombed because I relocated shortly after leaving TSCC without leaving a forwarding address.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 07:23AM by severedpuppetstrings.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 06:31AM

Mormons wouldn’t know true friendship if it hit them in the ass. Why this is true, and what its implications are, are a deep topic. It’s very, very sad that their religion does this to them. Just be glad your mind isn’t all twisted up like that, and accept the free cookies. Eat what you like and trash the rest.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 04:20PM

I was actually thinking this exact thing today. That mormons would not know real friendship if it hit them in the face. Could never call them in a pinch or f#cking anything. They would throw food at you while you were sinking in quicksand. They just don't get it for some reason.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 08:23AM

Faked friendshipping is insulting. The message is, "You're too naive to see through this lame act."

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 10:38AM

Haha. Perfect interpretation!

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 10:16AM

Someone did the doorbell ditch with a completely tag-less plate of cookies the day after my kid died.

I guess it could have been anybody, but it seemed so Mormon--and kind of creepy.

Straight to the trash.

To me it seems, "I care so much about you, I'll completely remove the human element from this gift."

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 10:30AM

Yes come back to church on Christmas Sunday so you can be inspired to hear talks about JS and sing Praise to the Man. We know that to be the truth.

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 12:57PM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes come back to church on Christmas Sunday so you
> can be inspired to hear talks about JS and sing
> Praise to the Man. We know that to be the truth.

"Oh yeah...and some Jesus too. (His name only.)"

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 01:07PM

What good does all their fake love bombing do?

If people are stupid enough to join they'll soon find out they are expected to turn over their money and their lives to the cult.
This only works for people who have no money and no lives LOL

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 12:56PM

I got several invites to the ward dinner. The one that saddened me is the one from my favorite neighbors. I know their oldest daughter wants to bring me back into the fold. She has for a long time. She is only 13.

Then I got to hear about the old bishop and his wife praying about allowing my daughter to live with them 2 doors down while she is home for 2 months from Alaska and everywhere else she goes and that they felt good about it and hoped it wouldn't bother me. NOW that bothers me. I had come to terms with it as my house isn't such a big mess (like it gets when she is here), but now that I know they prayed about it. . .

But the "mood" has changed in the neighbors just in the past week. I'm soooooo happy about it.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 06:43PM

cl2, what your bishop and his wife did is to me pure evil. It is family interference. I'm sorry that happened to you. So much for the "family church."

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 07:17PM

This situation has bothered me since I read it earlier. I haven't been able to come up with words of comfort but wish I could. Wish I could talk some sense into these mormons.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 07:28PM

Oh, they've been interfering since she went back to church some 12 years or so ago. Can't remember how long now. They were the first ones to interfere. Now I have a whole group of people who interfere. Somehow I have to deal with it as I, MYSELF, NEED her in my life. This past summer of her not talking to me was pure torture. So I'll do what it takes. My ex's TBM sisters have ben interfering, too. Oh, my so-so mormon sister has been interfering, too. We have a lot of family drama as I've posted. This older sister stole my brother's trust money and we had to force her to give it back and now she and her kids (who I helped raise) aren't speaking to us. I love those kids almost like they were my own.

Mormonism, it just keeps on giving and giving and giving.

I told my boyfriend yesterday I know I'm really angry because every now and then I lash out--I did at the tax guy this week. He deserved it. He said I had a reason--that the LDS church had betrayed me. And that is the bottom line for everything going on in my life.

Oh, I love that the neighbor said that she hoped it wouldn't cause problems (my other neighbor told me) and I'm like, "Well, only that I'll never speak to you again." We used to be friends.

Posted by: ex-anon ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 11:31AM

"Hey, [old bishop], I sincerely prayed about leaving that gigantic dog turd on your front porch, and I felt good about it, and the Holy Spirit of Promise whispered to my soul that it wouldn't bother you…"

"I don't know who left that gigantic dog turd on your front porch, [old bishop], but last evening I watched three old men with long flowing beards wander around the neighborhood. They spoke a foreign language – sort of Egyptian but not quite – and seemed to glow with an inner radiance that's hard to describe…"

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 09:34AM

This shit annoys me. Mormons don't give 2 shakes of a rat's ass about others until their "leaders" tell them to. Even then, it's never a desire to build a real, lasting friendship with someone - it's just built around the context of the person's church status. Once the person tells them they have no interest in the Morg, they move on - not to be seen until the last love bomb campaign.

Do you REALLY want to reach out to me in a meaningful way, Mormons? Quit the juvenile BULLSHIT. Quit leaving your jank cookies on my doorstep - I. DO. NOT. KNOW. YOU. Why would I eat cookies a stranger left on my doorstep? I don't know how long they've been sitting there, I'm not eating them. Quit showing up at my door at dinner time wanting to talk. Piss right off. Send me an e-mail to start a dialog before you show up at my home. Don't have my e-mail address? We aren't friends, get bent. This Light the World crap is just a thing they do to make themselves feel like they are making a difference in other people's lives - no one else even notices it. It is meaningless and makes no difference, just like the Mormon Church.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 10:49AM

Light the world by leaving cookie dough on someone's steps.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 04:22PM

I was a missionary. I would never show up at someones house at 5:00 PM during pre-christmas season. Do they really believe people want to talk to them? Not to mention these guys looked like huge gomer hicks from Richfield and Parawan - I doubt they get in many doors in SOCAL.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.