Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Investigating atheism ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 11:26AM

Saw an LDS video the other day depicting Jesus's baptism. Reminded me of one I saw previously depicting JS's baptism. In neither instance did the baptizee hold his nose as he was immersed, unlike all other LDS baptisms I've observed. I like the hard-core version.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pugsly ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 02:33PM

The best baptism video on you tube is "Baptism video on AFV."
Every baptism should be like that one.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 04:17PM

Jesus, as described in the NT, was going through the mikvah (ritual bath), and you definitely and absolutely do NOT hold your nose when you are doing your dunks in the mikvah.

It is the other way around: every effort is made to get every possible cell of your body wet with the mikvah water---this is why no jewelery of any kind is allowed, no Band-aids are allowed, no scabs are allowed, no makeup or nail polish or hair accessories of any kind are allowed, (etc.).

The water which would naturally go into your nose a bit is just as ritually important as the mikvah water which touches any other part of your body.

By Jewish sensitivities, the idea of holding your nose as you perform a dunk is kind of shocking, especially since there is a mikvah "attendant" of some kind watching over your dunk to mostly make sure that no hair floats on the top of the water, because this would result in a ritually invalid dunk.

(In practice, you would just do that dunk again if it was ritually invalid, so that, in all, you had three ritually valid dunks by the time you climbed out of the water.)

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 06:00PM

You have to pick your scabs first? That sounds unhygienic.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 10:54PM

CateS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You have to pick your scabs first? That sounds
> unhygienic.

No...you wait until the scabs flake off naturally.

In our conversion-to-Judaism class, the males who were converting had to get either their circumcisions, or their symbolic circumcisions (for those who were already circumcised; in the symbolic ones, a sterile surgical needle is used to produce a single drop of blood from the head of the penis, and the appropriate blessings in Hebrew are being said at the appropriate times during both of these processes), during a specific time frame (I think it was two or three weeks), so that any scabs from those procedures would have naturally flaked off by the time we (as a class, since we were using the Pacific Ocean as our mikvah) did our mikvah dunks, each of which dunks was supervised by our teachers.

Each male in our class who was converting was given a list of names of participating M.D.'s who were also qualified Jewish mohels. Our male classmates picked whichever doctor they wanted, made an appointment for the procedure, and then went in to the doctor's office, at the appointed time, like any other patient.

According to the post-procedure reports (we, the women in our class, were quite intensely fascinated by all of this!!!), the doctor came into the treatment room, introduced himself, put on his Jewish ritual clothes (kipah and prayer shawl) over his regular doctor's scrubs, said the blessings in Hebrew, did the procedure, and then said the blessings in Hebrew which are for after the procedure, and appropriate post-op treatment was given for sterilization and bandaging. Instructions were provided to the patient on how to take care of the surgical wounds until full healing occurred, the doctor signed the circumcision certificate in his capacity as qualified Jewish mohel, the circumcision certificate was given to the patient...

...and then, at a later time which can be predicted with some accuracy, the scabs would have naturally flaked off, and the fairly-newly-circumcised (or symbolically circumcised) man was ready for the mikvah (another of the essential three requirements of a valid conversion to Judaism: circumcision or symbolic circumcision for males...the mikvah...and appearing before a rabbinical court, which is called a Bet Din).

(The third requirement, appearing before a Jewish ritual court, turned out to be not scary in the least...although most of us were trepidatious beforehand. The "judges" on the court were our rabbi/teachers, and we all knew each other well by that point, so while we converts were all aware of the gravity of what we were doing, there was also a concurrent and happy sense of "WE DID IT!!!"...and more than a bit of light-hearted humor, too.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2017 10:59PM by Tevai.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 06:03PM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 10:04PM

Are you saying you always pee in the pool? Hoping it was a typo, or that you don't use our pool. ;|

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 07:24PM

They should hold their eyes... for what they can't plainly see the truth in [LDS] baptism.

M@t

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 12:04AM

Why did jesus need to be baptised ? so that he could be a follower of himself ?

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 12:07AM

Yea.

I follow myself.

It seems perfectly natural.

Haahahaha

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 12:28AM

The title was very confusing to this badass. I was like i am not getting rebaptized i f#cking hate water and getting wet and i know its because of the church. I need to stop lurking how is this site so addicting when there is nothing else to do.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.