Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 02:59AM

Deconstructing all religion and spirituality... or learning to reinterpret the symbols and language of the old forms according to new lights?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 03:17AM

Much like how you deal with an abusive marriage. You get a divorce. After some time goes by you get over it and you never want to see what you were stuck with again.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 05:35AM

It's really up to you. IMO it's advisable to take a good, long break from religion altogether once you leave the Mormon church. But after that there are lots of options. Some exmos join another church. Some pursue another religion such as Judaism or Buddhism. Some stop going to any religious institution. Some turn agnostic or atheist. Some are spiritual but not religious.

You might consider taking a comparative or world religions class through your local community college. Knowing about the religious experience of others would give you perspective on your experience with Mormon-flavored Christianity.

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 05:39AM

Flush and Never look back. From time to time, you will need to flush again and again. Still, no need to ruminate on what's past. Just keep shoveling in the good that lies in front of and ahead of you. Keep it as light, flavorful and fun as possible.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 05:56AM

I like your image, deja vue: mormonism is like that stubborn turd that keeps on floating no matter how many times you flush...

;-)

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 11:52PM

LOL!!!

Posted by: Paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 02:27PM

I would be freed from the constraints of one religion by appreciating the finer points of another.

I would be free emotionally from one religions' shame response to dogma by learning another culture from a constant humanity who does not share the first religions' dogma point of view any more.

I may never join or merge with another culture yet learn some point by spending time sharing and merging with parts of the religious teaching. For instance there may be some even unintended learning ( from the point of view of the original teacher or story writer) which makes it meaningful to me.

here is an example: there is a piece of art, its a poster or a big painting print. On it there is a warrior person very elaborate he has a name. I don't know it. It has a connotation and maybe lots of meaning to others. But the thing to me is there is a little person with folded legs sitting above the warriors head and the ideas not promoting a drone, its the opposite to me- promoting that one remain in control and not be over reactive as ones animal brain stem or amigdala or whatever portion of the central nervous system - tends to have humans respond like animals when threatened. This art may be an cultural art form or it may be just one piece of religious or cultural art. But to me, it has meaning. To me its an ideal on several levels; to step out of family system functioning with dysfunctional responses automatic in some settings- as an ideal dream. To step out of automatic vigilance hyper vigilance scripted to some settings if only by avoiding them, that there is a choice. The ideal of choice and thought not being invalidated by boundary violations in ones former church culture or cultural home or physical home, sadly. That is what that piece of religious art means to me, at some level.

So sometimes going out into another realm or path meeting other culture's icon or heroes or meanings makes meaning of your own. and brings peace not joining or merging into another culture, it can spring you or release you from intense responding automatically to 'home place learned patterning' like primary and young responses based on dogma-- may you can use any different thinking group in that way, um I think my art is from Tibet/ it may be, and it may be over 1000 or thousands of years old/ So it can't take it that personally as political movement. it has enough distance to make it safe, a point of reflection and engagement. it doesn't street march of politic on facebook. i'm sure some people do that like the same poster.

exploring art and beauty in others prayer forms can make meaningful bridges, & emotional bridges, if you can clarify what you enjoy which you share and still bring your own vocabulary or self forward. Even some, for instance, a wiccan in extended family wants an all or nothing response from my family member rather that their own assorted spirituality. Mormons for me and Catholics for my spouse imposed an all or nothing duality & nothing feels ok about that. Finding art and meaning touring and exploring exposing yourself to possibles unveils unwraps and explodes the shackles of life's lds dogmatic shames.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 06:39PM

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 07:31PM

There is no blanket answer for all exmormons. Each of us has

had differing experiences, and each of us have differing

suport systems.

If you feel that your situation demands more help, go to

a psychologist and they will be able to provide you with

the tools you may need in your experience of leaving.

It's never one size fits all. We all deserve to be heard

and understood and reach a place of calm and peace.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 12:08AM

in b 4 ~ ¿ why not both OPie ? ~

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 12:16AM

Neither, stay away from religion all together. Your mind needs a healing period to make sense of things and to figure out what is real. You literally aloud yourself to get worked over very badly for years or maybe decades, only time away can repair the damage and you may never look back to go to any organization again.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 03:49AM

Deconstructing a lie would only produce more lies. Mormonism is a huge hoax, at is taproot, and all that branches out is likewise contaminated.

Putting "new lights" on old symbols and scriptures is like putting lipstick on a pig.

I would choose neither, but would follow the posters who advise us to leave Mormonism behind, and flush it out of your life completely. The best way to rid the mind of old brainwashing, is to overload it with NEW information.

Go and study something else, something new, instead. Branch out. The World offers endless things to study and ponder--that are REAL!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.