Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: perky ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 08:15PM

About 5 years ago we slowly stopped going to church. Over the years, We had periodic visits from home and visiting teachers and my wife would get texts and emails saying "they were thinking about us" and how much they cared about us etc. We live in Utah and the ward takes in very small area, so we saw people in the ward more or less every day.

About 9 months ago we moved 30 miles away. Today my wife got a text from the same Relief Soc Pres saying "I am thinking of you" and would like to come by for a visit." This person who "cares so much" and has wonderful "discernment" got a text back saying:

Thanks so much for the email. Unfortunately we moved 9 months ago. Have a great Christmas.

What a great example of NO DISCERNMENT and NO REAL FRIENDSHIP.

It's a CULT!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 08:26PM

That's funny!

I'll bet that text counted as their Visiting Teacher chore.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 08:46PM

Should've texted her back "Oh great! Can't wait. Baking some cookies for us. Here's our new address- when should we expect you?"

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 01:11AM

Oh, yes. I know how much they care.

A young, single mother, struggling student, new to the ward, and also a new convert loaned her car to a member in our ward. Unfortunately the member's son stole the car for a joy ride and left it far away in a neighboring state. The member who borrowed the car felt bad. The whole ward felt bad. The most they did was take her to her car so she could drive it back. However, the car was not up to the joy ride and needed some repairs. Nobody, including the member and member's son offered any assistance for repairs.

The bishop's wife told me this story and I was floored. Why hadn't anyone, including the son of the member who stole the car, offered to help with repairs? I suggested to the bishop's wife that maybe she should talk to her husband about using some of the ward budget (possibly tithing money) to help out this poor woman. Or maybe the bishop could talk with the member who borrowed the car. (The member had royal LDs bloodline) She stated that it might be a good idea and she would talk with her husband about it. Nothing was ever done to help the poor woman who now had to take the bus to get to school, to pick-up her young son, and get to work. I was just about resigned and unemployed at the time or I would have started a challenge donation in Relief Society. Hopefully that expereince helped get that poor woman out of Mormonism. I have no idea what became of her.

Posted by: samwitch ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 09:42PM

Years ago, when I belonged to the cult, I phoned the compassionate service leader to get help for someone who needed it. The response: we only take care of providing a meal after a funeral. If someone dies, call us.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.