Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 09:08PM

So, um...d’y’all think the Morg (SWEET JEBUS, I’ve missed that word!!!) will extricate the coffee and tea restrictions from the Word of Wisdom? I’d say about 80% of the active Mo’s I know frequent Starbucks on a regular basis. Caffeine we know isn’t the issue, so...what exactly is? Sorry, I know this topic has probably been discussed so many times, but I haven’t really been keeping up on the LDS and its doctrine for quite awhile.

GLA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 09:11PM

If they're smart (and they do pay for good advice, so there IS a shot at it) they'll just stop talking about it and have the bishops just talk about what good advice the WoW is. It will lapse back to a *suggestion* and then getting into the temple will only require the one thing they really, really care about, paying a full tithe.

Date: December 01, 2017 09:22PM

I think you’re right on the mark. Funny thing is (and correct me if I’m mistaken), the emphasis was/is “hot drinks”. Well, that leaves many gaping loopholes. Iced coffee (my manna from Jebus), iced tea...if you drop some ice cubes in, does that mean your bishmop will give you that sexy little card that declares a person “worthy”?

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 02:22PM

Caffeine was never the issue. It was always obey, obey, obey!!

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 10:27PM

When I was preparing for my temple marriage back in 1970, I put the guilt trip on my dad to get a recommend. He had been to the temple ONCE...when he got sealed to my mom in 1961. It was an open secret in our little town that he went to the coffee shop every morning for his cup of java as my mother would not hear of having a coffee pot in the house.

So, he goes to the bishop and, of course, the WoW question comes up. He tells bishop that he drinks coffee which the bishop already knew. As my dad tells it, the bishop says "if that is the only thing you are having a problem with, then I'll sign your recommend." I was kind of surprised he "passed" but I was glad he did. So, even 40+ years ago, some bishops were giving some folks a pass on the coffee thing.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 10:32PM

In the mid-70's, a FP SM Letter said de-caf coffee is OK!

"OF COURSE" That letter is LONG GONE DOWN THE MEMORY HOLE now...

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 03, 2017 12:28AM

after 17 long years without it. I came from a tea-drinking family and missed it dreadfully.

I've tried coffee several times and never developed a taste for it. But I do love my tea!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 03, 2017 03:43AM

I also think that the WoW is just a test of obedience, nothing more since they don't enforce the part about eating meat in winter or times of famine.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: December 03, 2017 04:59AM

When I was in the church (1978 - 1996) it was a big thing. The adult would drink this Carob coffee shite stuff.. (I never developed a taste for it) that they went to great lenths to obtain. It's made from some kind of root?

And redbush tea.. that was allowed. But hard to come by in those days. Now, all kinds of tea and infusions are available even in a corner of the world like Holland. It must be hard for the church to keep up the explanations for the old silly rules in this modern day and age..

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 03, 2017 02:43PM

Well, My Gay Lay, The W of W is akin to masturbation. Coffee, tea, a beer, a cocktail, and a wank are all fun, pleasurable, and harmless. So why all the fuss?

Because cults need control devices.

Take a heathy, normal 16 year old young man (gay or straight). He goes with his friends to Starbucks. Everyone is getting iced mocha lattes. He knows he shouldn’t have one, but fuck, all his friends are drinking their with whipped cream. So, he sneaks one, and it does taste mighty fine.

That night, alone, he feels a little bad. So, rubs one out just to feel good. It does feel good. But, he promises himself he’ll never jack again because he knows his bishop will ask. He feels guilty about being horny and touching himself. Nine hours later, he wanks again, because that’s what 16 year olds do. But, because of the brainwashing he feels guilty and thinks he’s the only one self-pleasuring.

So, he goes and talks with the bishop. The bishop tells him he’s engaged in two serious sins, drinking Expresso, and strangling a chicken. Heavenly Father is very disappointed in him. The kid feels like shit! He promises the bishop he’ll never go to Starbucks or polish the banister again. The poor kid feels duisgusted with himself. A couple of minutes out of the bishop’s office and he feels the familiar rise in his Levi’s.

The next day, his buddies head to Starbucks. He’s feeling guilty but kind of a badass. So, he orders a latte with an extra shot. It, being forbidden fruit, tastes really good. The crowd goes over to a park, shoots the shit, and endulges in a little green stuff.

The kid now feels really bad. But, he knows his parents want him to go on a mission. By now, he regularly drinks coffee, tokes, and choaks...however, and this is key for a cult...he feels terribly guilty. He feels like he’s the only fucked-up kid in Mormonism.

Eventually, the young man will lie about everything to go on his mission. He’ll continue to berate himself privately for not being worthy. He’ll lie to everybody about how he knows the church is true. Then, he’ll be promoted to bishop and scare the fuck out of the young people who come to visit him. Why, because he was controlled and guilted, and now he gets his jollies from controlling and guilting and shaming others.

And, that why, the Word of Wisdom ain’t going away. The Bishop’s Boner.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2017 03:10PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: December 03, 2017 10:14PM

Did you just say fuck on this forum? Boner, you are now fucked. LOL.

Date: December 03, 2017 10:21PM

...especially when there are a HELL of a lot more interesting things to think and talk about...like masturbation!

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: December 03, 2017 04:40PM

The easiest thing to do is simply to lie about it!

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 03, 2017 11:32PM

Ignorance.

Most members - and THE WORLD AT LARGE - don't know its not unhealthy, illegal, or even a sin anymore. Diablo's mouthpiece didn't announce it at conferences, magazines and pulpits. At far as MOST MORMONS think/ know, it's still taboo, like incense and voodoo. They just don't k own.

It's just not fashionable. Yet

The OLD men will catch on when the YOUNG ones learn they can SPEAK UP and BE CLEAR when conveying a message, and then everybody [might] think, feel and act freely, naturally and normally... for a change.

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.