Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 07:47PM

20 things you never see in malls anymore

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/smart-living/20-things-you-never-see-in-malls-anymore/ss-BBEXK7k?li=BBnb7Kz

I wonder if any of these apply to the morg's mall!??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 08:30PM

I haven’t found a decent bookstore or coffee shop in Shitty Creek. What I have found is expensive, designer, chain-store, luxury crap that I could buy at any high end mall in North America abd the UK. No thanks! I’ll stick to my Levi’s jeans, Haines boxer-briefs and tee-shirts, 15 year old Swiss Army watch, fresh roasted coffee, and earthy non-Mormon friends at my favorite watering holes. Shitty Creek—Boycott it!

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 08:50PM

I feel the same way about that mall downtown. I worked right across the street from it all during construction and I could never figure out who they were targeting as shoppers. All the stores are way too pricey and froo froo for me.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 08:11AM

When I passed through Sh*tty Creek Mall on my way to the airport I wondered too how it stays in business? There were barely any customers strolling the walkways, and the stores looked empty.

The goods and clothing are over the top in terms of price. Only the upper crust can really afford to shop there.

I ended up scouring Macy's for some of its sales and found a few bargains. But I could do that back home. At least I could say I got those items of clothing in Salt Lake City. ;-)

There were more security guards patrolling the stores than there was shoppers. They are careful to keep undesirables out of the mall premises. I watched them throw out a person who'd walked into the mall as I overheard a guard on his walkie talkie describing him to another guard on my way to the women's lavatory.

There was this person sitting on a bench outside the restrooms that fit their description: Hispanic, middle-aged male. Guards asked him what was he doing there? He said he just arrived from Texas. Heck, maybe they knew something I didn't. But it sounded like racial profiling to me as they told him he couldn't stay there and he'd have to leave.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2017 01:37PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Old Name Levi ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 01:12AM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I passed through Sh*tty Creek Mall on my way
> to the airport I wondered too how it stays in
> business? There were barely any customers
> strolling the walkways, and the stores looked
> empty.

It's there as a loss leader.

Or laundering money.

Or both.

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 11:26AM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 11:16PM

I do not go in malls....If they had to depend on me they'd all got broke...maybe not a bad thing

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 09:35PM

All a mall really needs is Pickwick Books, Sears, and that place that dips an ice cream bar in chocolate, then sprinkles nuts on it.

Yeah, so I'm living in 1976...

.....and you kids, get off my lawn!!

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 10:43PM

Good old Pickwick Books, I probably set up 10 of their stores.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 11:35PM

Sears- home of Tough Skin jeans. Best thing that came from Sears is Craftsman tools. American made with a lifetime guarantee.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 11:44PM

except that craftsman tools are not american made anymore.

Date: December 02, 2017 01:04AM

Yep. But they still honor the lifetime guarantee.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 08:31AM

Unless you make a living on your tools, who cares if there is a lifetime guarantee. I went down to Walmart 5 years ago for a screwdriver but had to buy the whole set for under $8. I still have them. I'll still have them 5 years from now and they work just fine.

Date: December 02, 2017 09:41AM

If you're handy, can build stuff and can fix stuff, you care. Buy a good tool once , or buy a crappy tool 3 times. Sears set the standard for good tools.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 12:25AM

Wallach’s Music City, Pickwick Books, the Broadway, and your local Army and Navy store for jeans.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 12:04PM

Several of my relatives had their first jobs at Pickwick's Books.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 11:59PM

#21: Roy Moore

Date: December 02, 2017 12:27AM

Good one ! *LOL*

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 12:00PM

Hahahahaha!

Posted by: ragnar ( )
Date: December 03, 2017 02:34PM

Roy Moore's wife...

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 12:31AM

When I was a kid, there'd always be a piano store at the mall. Haven't seen one of those in years.

Posted by: fordescape ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 09:52PM

There was a Wurlitzer store in the nearby mall. It was right next to the restaurant in the middle of the mall. The sales folks/musicians would serenade particularly loudly, showing off. What a hoot.

Posted by: fordescape ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 09:55PM

You don't see display toilets at Sears anymore. One time, a kid crapped in one. That may be why you don't see them.

Date: December 06, 2017 12:11PM

Are you 100% certain it was a kid?

LOL

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 01:28AM

The last Sears store in SLC is closing soon, not sure if there will be any left except the big one out in West Jordan.

I can't tell you how much time I spent with my parents at the Sears on 800 South/State Street downtown.

This was before the days of malls and my parents would drive to Sears from Sandy, about 8-9 miles. My dad loved Craftsman tools and we loved to make my dad park near the entrance, where we could make sure my mom was creeped out by the gerbils when we went in the door. She didn't like them much.

And the one time I saw an Allstate car in the Sears basement (the Sears version of Henry J). I was really confused about how they got it in there and spent lots of time wondering how they would get it out.)

Anyway, Sears closing is kind of the end of an era for me, even though I've not shopped there much in many years.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 10:05AM

I grew up in eastern Nevada in the '50s. We'd drive 250 miles to SLC just to spend the day at Sears. Our parents would turn me and my three brothers loose and we'd terrorize the place for hours; adventures I'll never forget. I graduated from the 8th grade in a suit that came from that store. Good old days...

Date: December 02, 2017 03:30PM

My family lived in Salt Lake City one year between moves from Las Vegas and Idaho. I was around five then, and remember a visit to a shopping center where there was a big parking lot where mom and dad took us kids to see Santa Claus at Christmastime. It was my first time to visit Santa that I can recall.

As an older kid, like teenager, there were occasional trips to Salt Lake to go shopping at the old flagship Auerbach's when it was still there. And the flagship ZCMI, which is now the Macy's @ City Creek.

Salt Lake City downtown shopping district was the destination for Idaho shoppers throughout the Morridor to hit the stores for back-to-school clothes each year, and during the year for whatever.

My grandmother who lived in Ogden made Salt Lake City one of her shopping destinations occasionally. Her favorite haunts were more than the department stores. She loved to go antiquing. She was a collector of curios and fine art. Going to visit grandma's house was like visiting a fairy-tale cottage. My family made a video tape of it following her death to preserve some memories of how she decorated it, before it was disassembled. Most of her collection was shipped off to San Francisco to be sold at auction.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2017 03:50PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 03, 2017 03:42PM

Sears missed the boat. Over a century ago they were a huge mail order retailer. You even could order houses in their catalog. They were high quality kits that you followed the instructions and put the pieces that came by freight together and if you did a good job, you had a well built home. Sears failed to see that they could be a big online retailer. Amazon really needs some competition. Too bad Sears didn't see where things are going.

As far as City Creek goes it's about controlling the real estate around the Salt Lake temple. Since the church can't move it they use their money to control what goes on around it. I really don't think they even care if they make a profit. It's about controlling what goes on and that's why you have all the security. City Creek is the LDS version of the Vatican wall.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 02:47AM

My family and I also boycott the mall. Imagine, tearing down an entire city, and all the nostalgia, memories, and character that was once Downtown SLC, and replacing it with a standardized, cookie-cutter mall.

Like, tearing down a charming Ivy League University campus, and replacing it with buildings that are on the BYU campus.

No charm. No fun. We prefer Gateway. The Gap, Eddie Bauer. I miss the boutique stores in California, where we would walk in the door, and love everything in the whole store. Now, I can search all the departments of a huge store, and not find one thing I like, and very little in my size. If I want a nice basic black dress, I go into the store to try it on--the store might have the dress in bright magenta or avocado green in my size--and then I go home and order it online in black, in the size that fits. The only store I've ever walked out of, carrying actual clothes, is Talbot's. There used to be one in Trolley Square.

Who are these people who afford dry-clean-only clothes? They must never be around children or grandchildren or pets. They can't wear any of those "sport clothes" for actual sports, or gardening, or anything like that. The prices are aimed at business moguls and their wives, or movie stars, or celebrities, or apostles and their wives. Maybe the people who live in the million-dollar condos with temple views can afford the mall.

BTW, where is all the "low-income housing" that GBH promised on that site?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 10:16AM

>>Who are these people who afford dry-clean-only clothes? They must never be around children or grandchildren or pets.

I hear you. I gave up dry-clean only clothing when I went into teaching, but honestly, I should have largely given it up even earlier, when I had an office job.

Nowadays my $25 work pants come from Penney's, my $10 or less tops from Penney's, Macy's, Wal-Mart, and sometimes Sears, and my sweaters from the discount retailers such as T.J. Maxx. My shoes always come from an outlet store. The only time I will spend more than that on clothing is for a special event.

Date: December 02, 2017 03:38PM

I never buy something that requires dry cleaning anymore (except for certain materials found in winter coats.)

If it isn't machine washable, I don't want it. Nor do I iron anymore. I used to iron religiously when my children were growing up. That went out the door too.

There may be a couple of things I'll hand wash. That's about it.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 03:30AM

"Shitty Creek" foflmfao

Date: December 02, 2017 06:49AM

the city creek mall creeped me out due to all the security guards wearing cowboy hats. they are EVERYWHERE !
And the stream water full of algae. I don't know how those fish can live in it.
And the lord's lawyers Kirton and McConkie.
I never want to go there ever again.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 11:49AM

Sears automotive stores saved my bacon more than once driving cross country. I had tires go bad and batteries give out while halfway to my destination in the middle of nowhere like Montana, Nevada, and Idaho. I'd always find a Sears nearby and they were always priced fairly and the service was fast and very good.

Since I'm getting to be an oldster, as you can plainly see, I probably won't be making any more cross-country road trips alone so I probably won't need Sears as much. But I'm sure glad they were there when I needed them!!! I also no longer live in the west so there aren't so many stretches of road without services.

P.S. Maybe I'll do another long distance road trip when I get my self-driving car sometime in the future.

Posted by: Anonandanon ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 11:55AM

I made a special point of driving to downtown SLC to find the City Creek Mall the last time I drove through Utah. It took forever to get there and the traffic was horrible. Once I found the place I just drove away due to heavy traffic. I know where it is but unless I worked in downtown SLC I'd never make the trek there again.

I liked going to Trolly Square back when I lived in Utah. They had a Williams Sonoma and a few other stores I liked. And there was a nice restaurant I enjoyed when I was too tired to go home and cook after Christmas shopping. Hope Trolly Square is doing well.

Date: December 02, 2017 03:45PM

I really hated the traffic too around and downtown Salt Lake City.

Parking wasn't too horrible near City Creek if you go into one of the downtown garages to park. The streets are still too narrow IMO to navigate easily, and too many one-way. The city grew up around the downtown, and the downtown is struggling to redefine itself with the upsurge.

Since it's so close to the airport it was the only place I ventured to go while waiting for my flight out of there, and around my planned visit to the Family History Library, and the old Salt Lake City Cemetery.

If I'd had more time would have visited Trolley Square and Chinatown, among other haunts.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 03:18PM

People

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 03:32AM

Yeeep ding ding ding, but i am glad people show up for card tournaments every week in the mall here. It forces me to use my brain to try and beat the tougher opponents and that is a very good thing.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: December 03, 2017 07:30AM

The high end mall near me features not one but two stores that sell nothing but expensive fountain pens. What??? Who buys them? I have not seen a fountain pen since grade school many years ago.

Date: December 03, 2017 03:21PM

There was an upscale department store that tried making a run downtown near where I work. It was so snobby it wouldn't let people in if they were wearing jeans, t-shirts, &/or sneakers. It actually had bouncers at the door to keep less than the upper crust out of there.

It lasted less than two years before it went out of business. Turned out even those who could afford to shop there didn't want to be labeled a snob, so they'd go elsewhere.

:)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2017 03:23PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: samwitch ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 09:48PM

Malls? Who even does that anymore? Amazon and Wish for the win.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 03:33AM

Our local bookstore is a Barnes and Noble. My kids all know that I will welcome a gift card from B&N anytime.

I used to hang out at the public library all the time, but have learned the hard way (as my best friend, who died of MS, pointed out) the library isn't easy on people who have mobility issues. Shelf-browsing is a chore from a wheelchair. I can walk a little, but I'm not able to be on my feet for more than three to five minutes at most, without severe pain. It sucks.

I have certain authors I like very much, and I tend to stick with stuff they write. When one of them comes out with a new book, I will venture into Barnes and Noble with that specific target, and can usually handle that limited errand on foot.

And who said that advancing age can't be helpful? My memory is getting suckier all the time, so I can re-read books I have read several times before, and since I can't ever remember how they worked out, I enjoy them just as much on subsequent readings.

Date: December 06, 2017 12:13PM

Who remembers the bargain basements @ ZCMI and Auerbach's?

Ah, the good old days are gone forever.

:-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.