Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 07:53PM

I was watching an episode on Netflix. Which one is irrelevant. The relevance is an ordained minister saying to a policewoman "An oath before God is stronger than the law."
How does this affect polygamy?
I hope that there are a large number of responses to this concept

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2017 08:00PM by desertman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 08:03PM

But I say to you, Do not take an oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, http://esv.to/Matt5.34

Any Christian cleric who advocates making an oath is directly violating the teaching of Christ. I’m pointing this out not to be a jerk, but because I’m tired of Christians pontificating about nonsensical opinions that violate the teachings of Christianity’s founder.

Date: November 30, 2017 08:17PM

Good response Boner. We think a lot alike

Date: November 30, 2017 08:36PM

We do think alike Desertman.

It’s been a couple of weeks since your wife's passing. I hope that things are well for you, Bro. Please accept a bro hug from your neighbor to the north.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2017 08:36PM by BYU Boner.

Date: November 30, 2017 09:10PM

boner
Thanks for the hug. I needed it tonight

Date: November 30, 2017 09:13PM

Side note
A really great read is James F. Varley's Brigham and the Brigadier

Date: November 30, 2017 10:03PM

Here’s another one Desertman!!!! And a big high-5 and fuck the Morg, too! I’ll check on the book. I’m reading Richard Russo’s Nobody’s Fool and identifying way to much with Sully.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 08:16PM

Oath keepers seem to be oafs and not keepers at all.

Date: November 30, 2017 08:18PM

I find it interesting how organized religion uses this concept to justify all kinds of bad actions

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 08:37PM

desertman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was watching an episode on Netflix. Which one is
> irrelevant. The relevance is an ordained minister
> saying to a policewoman "An oath before God is
> stronger than the law."

The continuing moral, ethical, and philosophical problem with this stance is that it can be used for evil (the Inquisition, for example, where the personnel involved had taken oaths to God, such as vowed persons (often those in Holy Orders)...

...and also in situations similar to when military or civilian personnel take oaths such as...

"I swear by God this holy oath, that I will render to Adolf Hitler, Fuhrer of the German Reich and People, Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, unconditional obedience, and that I am ready, as a brave soldier, to risk my life at any time for this oath." [This is the actual oath taken by military personnel in Nazi Germany.]

In each of these two oaths (meant as specific examples of all similar situations in history), "oaths to God" mean: to kidnap, to torture, to murder, and to commit genocide.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2017 08:42PM by Tevai.

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 08:38PM

The Lard's Law is higher than man's law, is the kind of thinking that permitted the Mormons to break the laws of the land with impunity. They believed that they were upholding a higher law than the law of the land. So polygamy was A-OK because God said to take the young things and . . . .

The irony is that horny Joe made up the Laws of the Lord, and taking as many virgins as you want (D&C 132), and angels with drawn swords killing him if he didn't live screw young women and other men's wives.

So the gullible Mormons were merely duped by a horny con man, into handing over the wives, daughters, and their money.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.