Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jasmine the brief ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 12:40PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 12:43PM

Hole blown in your theory: I did.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jasmine the brief ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 12:51PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 12:45PM

I can't contradict you, as I am an extreme introvert, who learned during his mission that acting like an extrovert was not that hard.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 01:03PM

The church certainly doesn't make it easy for introverts, especially on missions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 01:44PM

There is a theory that extroverts draw strength from outside sources--other people, while introverts draw strength from within, from themselves.

If it is true, it does make sense to me that extroverts perhaps feed on the validation they get from the church even as they parrot the churches stances claiming they are their own in order to impress others. While introverts, having no such need, feel freer to trust their own judgements not caring what outside opinion is.

Of course the extrovert/introvert dynamic must be more layered and varied than such a simple analysis, but I do find it to be generally plausible as an explanation since the majority here at RFM do seem to be somewhere on the introvert spectrum.

I am an extreme introvert. I do believe that is how I got out since I figured out the lie of Moronism long before I heard any of the supposed "anti" material. I trusted myself no matter what anyone was saying to me and the family was saying plenty of harsh things. I only cared what I thought as I summed up any facts before me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 01:52PM

Not that black and white, though.
The "extroversion/introversion" is a spectrum, not a placement. as most traits fall on a spectrum.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2017 01:53PM by angela.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 01:58PM

Extroverts made the for the best leaders in the church or so it seemed. They also made the ideal missionary. It certainly explains why I felt like a square peg in their round hole.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 04:35PM

That's subjective ie, your theory.

You're assuming that extroverts only attend the cult for the social aspect of membership. That they get more benefit from going on that basis alone than any other.

Where is it written that extroverts care less about truth and reason than do introverts?

If the mix of extroverts at church are not intellectual, not interested in the study or pursuit of actual history, not distorted and twisted Joseph Smith version made up folklore what you have are some seriously compromised mental midgets who can't discern truth, logic, or reason.

If Mormons followed their own doctrine they say they believe, they would study their way out of the cult. Learning the historicity would leave them no other option if they really care about true religion.

If not, then the church aka cult is nothing more than a social club for as you say, certain extroverts. Others use it as a bully pulpit to insist their truth is the only way, all others be damned.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 05:05PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Learning the historicity would leave
> them no other option if they really care about
> true religion.

...or just truth. Religion or not :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 04:40PM

They need members who are willing to grin and shake hands, speak from the podium, take charge of classes, and go out to homes and glad hand people who might not want church visits. Introverts are very uncomfortable to these things and being quiet and solitary are considered to be weaknesses if not sins.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 06:31PM

Echoing what messygoop said above. The church is not a good environment for introverts and this is especially true out in the mission field.

There is little doubt that Joe Smith and the countless con men that have followed in his footsteps were all extroverts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Old Name Levi ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 08:26PM

There is little (if any room) for introverts in Mormon culture.

Putting one's shoulder to the wheel involves just as much grandstanding as it does actual work. Those who are not so outgoing as to want the attention find themselves rejected by the majority of their church peers.

When the numbers were better, a ward or stake would likely find a reason to embrace the random oddity who had a special skill. Today, it's all a game of appearances.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 09:28PM

I like the theory. Stands to reason that extroverts would want to be around people.

And there are likely more introverts living in remote areas of Montana. Some think we should offer them more opportunities to socialize.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 08:45AM

Free Man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like the theory. Stands to reason that
> extroverts would want to be around people.

The thing is...there are people outside of mormonism.
Lots and lots of 'em.
And unlike mormons, they very often don't believe batshit-crazy magical stories, and want 10% of your money.

I like to be around people.
Just not mormon people.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 01:45AM

I'm an extrovert, and I left. Three siblings are extroverts, and two are more introverted. They're all in. Dad is an extrovert and Mom is an introvert. I'd say Dad is the more TBM of the two, but he's also quicker to call B.S. on anything ridiculous a GA says.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 10:11AM

I don't agree with that. If anything, I think extroverts have an easier time leaving the church since they are generally more able to make new friends in other areas of life.

I am pretty extroverted and had a relatively easy time leaving the church and making new social connections. My brother is very introverted and really struggled to leave because he felt comfortable with his friends in the church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scg73 ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 05:13PM

I'm an introvert in that I'm not great dealing with people one on one. On the other hand; I love being the center of attention. Had I been given a few more speaking assignments; I may have stucjk around a little longer. However; I don't think a mission would have worked out since being constantly joined at the hip with someone 24/7 would drive me crazy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 05:21PM

When Meyers-Briggs shout-outs happen here, introverts greatly outnumber extroverts. My own category, INTJ, is relatively rare in the general population (3% iirc), and INTJs are as thick as flies here. I think that is a personality type particularly unsuited to being Mormon. Closely related types are also well represented here.

Some extroverts leave, but extroverts in general are better able to choke down Mormonism.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: michaelshenderson ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 06:24PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 08:18PM

.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 09:45AM

Me too--INTJ. And, it has worked out very well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Old Name Levi ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 11:52PM

I'm a textbook example of an INTJ. I think we're simply too logical for many things, Mormonism included.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 10:03AM

Once I sinfully wasted some of my time on this Myers-Briggs stuff and found out I'm a ESTJ (borderline ENTJ) and felt super guilty because I could've spent that time on missionary work to get some souls saved or on genealogy work to help find names for temple work so those poor souls in Spirit Prison can get paroled to Spirit Paradise. In reality my personality type is OOOO. Am I an introvert or extravert? That doesn't matter. I'm Obedient. How do I prefer to take information? Obedience. How do I make decisions? Obedience. How do I prefer to live my life? Obedience.

I'm OOOO - and please don't pronounce it "ewwwwww" because then people will think that my way of thinking is that of an absurd deranged fool and that could hurt missionary work and reactivation efforts :(

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: michaelshenderson ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 11:57AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: samwitch ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 07:19PM

Extrovert. Ex-Mormon. I left because the church's truth claims are demonstrably false and the doctrine promotes bigotry, racism, misogyny, and homophobia. Being an extrovert made it much easier to leave. I never worried about finding new friends, moving to a new area, or getting involved with different social groups, because my social identity had always extended way beyond church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In


Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
  ******    ******     ******    ********   ********  
 **    **  **    **   **    **   **     **  **     ** 
 **        **         **         **     **  **     ** 
 **        **   ****  **   ****  ********   ********  
 **        **    **   **    **   **     **  **        
 **    **  **    **   **    **   **     **  **        
  ******    ******     ******    ********   **