Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 10:58AM

I've not watched the Today Show on a regular basis, well ever. Just never got into morning news.

But this has got to be pretty serious for Matt Lauer to be fired without any investigation to speak of.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46207134&nid=157

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 11:24AM

Oh, I think it was investigated. They wouldn't let go of Lauer otherwise.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 11:30AM

Heard a report on the news that it may have been sexual ASSAULT during the 2014 Winter Olympics.

Yeah, sounds pretty serious.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/matt-lauer-accused-sexually-assaulting-154757608.html

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 11:41AM

All these instances of sexual harassment and assault that are coming to light makes me realize all the more how basic and intense the sex drive is in human beings. Unfortunately, many have tried to express this drive in ways that reduce others to mere objects to satisfy their desires. In reminds me of a movie I saw once about "cave men" in which a male would forcibly "take" any female he was attracted to.

Interesting that the Mormon Church tries to completely suppress the sex drives of young missionaries for two years when they are at the height of their sexual potency. And then pressures them to marry as soon as possible and provide many "tabernacles" for the waiting spirit children in the preexistence to be born into.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 08:38AM

commongentile Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
"All these instances of sexual harassment and
assault that are coming to light makes me realize
all the more how basic and intense the sex drive
is in human beings."

The sex drive is indeed basic and intense, but these cases are not about sex, they're about power and control. Sexual desires can be satisfied without imposing your will on others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2017 08:43AM by canadianfriend.

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 12:23PM

commongentile Wrote:
> Interesting that the Mormon Church tries to
> completely suppress the sex drives of young
> missionaries for two years when they are at the
> height of their sexual potency.

It's not just for those two years...

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 12:17PM

What do these assaults, gropings, and abuse cases all have in common? A person in power has exploited someone else in a vulnerable situation. A position of power has made the person feel that they are immune to accountability and consequences of their actions—in these cases, sexual harassment and or abuse.

There have been several recent instances reported in the media of high school and junior high school teachers having sex with younger students, these have crossed the gender line. The scenario is the same—power has let to exploitation.

To me, these stories are more about power and coverups than normal sex drives. Now, which organization represents power, authority, secrecy, exploitation, lies, and a culture that it’s wrong to criticize the leaders even if the criticism is valid?

Dallin’s powerful Boner.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 01:48PM

Followed by Garrison Keillor from MPR this morning. Not a lot of details on the leader of Lake Wobegon, but he is out.

http://www.startribune.com/garrison-keillor-reportedly-fired-for-improper-behavior/460802703/#1

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 02:00PM

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/11/28/567026934/npr-chief-news-editor-departs-in-wake-of-harassment-allegations

What gets me is that in many of these cases, we're hearing such statements (I'm generalizing & paraphrasing) "Everybody knew..." "You told other women not to get on an elevator with him..." "Girls knew how to get promoted/choice assignments/roles..." Even Cokie Roberts is saying, "We knew..."

I am sure that even as I type this, somebody is also typing out a pilot on all this to submit to Netflix.

Posted by: wingman ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 08:25AM

caffiend Wrote:
> https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/11/28
> /567026934/npr-chief-news-editor-departs-in-wake-o
> f-harassment-allegations
>
> What gets me is that in many of these cases, we're
> hearing such statements (I'm generalizing &
> paraphrasing) "Everybody knew..." "You told other
> women not to get on an elevator with him..."
> "Girls knew how to get promoted/choice
> assignments/roles..." Even Cokie Roberts is
> saying, "We knew..."

How does that "get you?" You've never heard of "the elrphant in the living room"?

It's the very essence of abuse of power.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 05:59PM

I think Keillor has offered a quite convincing response to the charge. A general question: Are men ever the target of sexual harassment from women in positions of power?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 06:02PM

Yes, but I'm not comfortable talking about it...

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 07:20PM

C'mon. Spill it. What did Sheri Dew do to you?

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 07:49PM

kentish Wrote:
> I think Keillor has offered a quite convincing
> response to the charge. A general question: Are
> men ever the target of sexual harassment from
> women in positions of power?

https://bookmanpeedeel.wordpress.com/2015/03/02/pleasing-her-majesty-orally/

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 09:23PM

Yes, I was once swated across my ass by a supervisor. It was playful, but totally inappropriate. The supervisor (a woman) later had complaints from female employees concerning inappropriate behaviors. I chalked it up to poor social skills.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 12:20AM

The way I see it, people might give Keillor the "benefit of the doubt," but Roy Moore? No way...

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 11:59AM

kentish Wrote:
> I think Keillor has offered a quite convincing
> response to the charge. A general question: Are
> men ever the target of sexual harassment from
> women in positions of power?

So, if other people are sexual predators, it's OK for me to be one,too?

Date: November 30, 2017 12:58PM

I know you meant the question to be, at the very least, ironic, but it does really raise an issue...

The nasty behavior of immigrating Whites towards the Natives of a land, and this is all over the world, in the 18th & 19th centuries, were not practiced by 100% of the immigrants, but there were sufficient numbers to make the bad behavior 'acceptable'; you wouldn't be cast out of polite society for practicing genocide, mostly because there was good money to be made at it.

A society's mores evolve, sometimes towards what you and I would call enlightenment, but sometimes not.

For those of you with experience in Latino countries, where are Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, etc., on the "How to Treat a Woman" spectrum?

And what does polite French society think when they see a married man auditioning candidates for mistress?

Finally, what's so freaking special about genitalia? What if the palm of the left hand were given the same reverence as the vagina? Can you imagine such a situation? It's laughable, but if there were such a culture, they might think it hilarious how much we reverence (and are often conflicted about) the penis and the vagina. What if we reach a point where consensual sex and shaking hands carry the same negligible weight?

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 09:22PM

Interesting . . .

Give me five ----

Date: November 30, 2017 10:12PM

High five, lefty!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 01:42PM

Since this happened to me and permanently affected my life, I would like to point out the likelihood of some--perhaps many--of these accusations being fabricated for one reason or another. With Garrison Keillor, Minnesota Public Radio admitted that it had "received a single allegation of 'inappropriate behavior' and doesn’t know of any other similar allegations." That's a very thin thread to hold onto, but obviously enough to judge and fire Keillor, and strip "A Prairie Home Companion" of its title and of Keillor's legacy content ("Powedermilk Biscuits," "bachelor farmer" references, etc.). I doubt that Chris Thile is good enough to keep attracting listeners to what will now be a different show. If not, many people will lose their employment.

This very kind of accusation happened to me, based an allegation that hung by an even thinner thread than Keillor's. But it nearly cost me my career and life. Let's not be too hasty. Remember that some of these allegations are likely fabricatedfor unknown reasons. For them what aren't fabricated, however, I agree that the perpetrators need to receive fairly harsh and immediate treatment. Sexual harassment and predation are a cancer in all societies.

Posted by: paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 04:20PM

I recall a young bishop who had laurels begging for back rubs at an overnight event, I recall that same bishop dancing slow dancing with laurels when his wife watched. Think think of the think of all the bishops interviews. questions intimate I recall one by one younger daughters in one family falling away I always wondered.

I really recall my dear college friend a convert in high school still a minor who slept with a married adult melchezedek priesthood holder in her home ward. Laurels Miamaids MIA safety my ass. Then they carted her away as fast as they could man still involved in the church each time she came back from college non member parents not there to stand up for her. **** oh California.
missionary zone says it all. minors without parents at church. *****

that was in the church! lets talk about work. What is it about hierarchy where apparently some males make sexuality another power lay excuse me power play.

why how

I do know the old dze priesthood stood sometimes in like a gang or good ole boys even in the church circled around letting men get away with what they did to my friend (minor convert adult male priesthood lets say it is the word molested? slept with ? while her non member parents were away let her go "to church")

Indirect example: I recall someone throwing paper ball- saying no it was him. Multiple many friends (wearing same gang color) say no it was- them (gesturing at some select other gang color) I knew, to smile, laugh it off, and say, get back to work, shake my head, silly. How many people are utilizing in network friends (like a gang posse) to elaborate or collaborate allegations just like the paper ball- school lined paper toss situation? I will never know. Both examples are real- and they used on both sides by false allegators and past allegation men.

yet

How many times __ popped by ass walking by; how many times __ (a boss) referenced my body; how many times working in __(town) walking by sounds erupted; how many times hands reached out into my hair as I walked down school corridors- uncountable; how many times when I complained male voices laughed
predictably

unaccountably

well that's history. apparently that's history.

Posted by: paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 04:35PM

I experienced being a 14-16 and no harassment code enforced

I experienced being 16-17 and bishops back rubbing my peers at over night events

I experienced the church as a 'safe place" not

I experienced being 14-16 and my peers reaching for my hair as I walked by without listening to my complaints or my adult staff making it a safe place for me to be 14-16

I experienced work superivsors in forest service giving back and breast rubs to minors when I was 16-17 at conservation camp

I experienced hoots and cat calls and whistles walking across town and campuses and work sites outdoors in the 1970s as a teen and lady in her twenties

I experienced pressure at parties in the 1970s related to one night stands from strangers, I called them pick up lines. It was evaporated as steam as normal as air.

a part of me cannot believe finally someone after all these years of clarifying feminist power properly that someone somewhere is saying sexuality isn't property public property

its amazing I never thought I'd see it

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 04:39PM

“I put my hand on a woman’s bare back,” he told the Star Tribune by e-mail minutes after MPR’s statement. “I meant to pat her back after she told me about her unhappiness and her shirt was open and my hand went up it about six inches. She recoiled. I apologized. I sent her an email of apology later and she replied that she had forgiven me and not to think about it. We were friends. We continued to be friendly right up until her lawyer called.”

This is what he admitted to. I'm wondering if there might have been more to the story.

http://www.startribune.com/garrison-keillor-fired-for-improper-behavior/460802703/#1

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 07:50PM

MLB analyst Greg Zahn, a former all star catcher for the Toronto Blue Jays was fired today after numerous female colleagues complained about a long history of his sexually harassing them.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 11:47PM

Matt was only helping out the widows.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 12:16AM

I wish I could say that any of this comes as a surprise to me, but it does not. Having spent nearly 40 years in the workforce, yes, sexual harassment happens. It might happen a lot in some workplaces and not at all in others, but if a youngish, even passably attractive women spends any length of time at all in the workforce, she will likely see it.

And it is TIRESOME. It gets OLD. Is it really too much to ask your coworkers to behave in public? To not act like middle school boys on holiday?

I'm glad all of this is coming to light. It's time. Maybe it will cause some of the perpetrators to think before they act.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.