Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 10:05AM

I've been told that the Mormon church owns two for profit prisons in Arizona.

Does anybody know about this? Steve Benson maybe?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 12:25PM

I'm aware Bob Barker already does.

http://www.bobbarker.com

Was Joe Arpaio in cahoots with TSCC regarding his jails?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 12:31PM

1. Marana Community Correctional Treatment Facility
Operated and managed by: Management and Training Corporation, Ogden Utah

2. Arizona State Prison—Kingman
Operated by: Management and Training Corporation, Ogden Utah
(contract canceled by the state in 2015 after numerous riots, assaults, and lawsuits)

MTC was founded in 1981 by Robert L. Marquardt.

Notice the company's initials are MTC...coincidence?

The founders borrowed over $3 million to start the company -- who they borrowed from I couldn't find. Its original board included Rodney H. Brady, who later became the CEO of the church's officially-owned Deseret Management Corporation. All of the company's founders and original board members were mormons.

Whether the church owns stock in the company or provided loans, I can't say.

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/management-and-training-corporation-history/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Management_and_Training_Corporation#Controversies

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2017 12:34PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 10:17PM

Rodney Brady was the son of the first bishop I really had much to do with, Kenneth Brady. He was the bishop of our ward from the time I was about 11 and still remember him asking me the masturbation question at that age. Had no clue what he meant.

He was also a high school age friend of my mother and her sister and dated her sister back in the 20's.

Among other things, he was also an Algebra teacher at Jordan High school, and my TBM sister, who had even less math skills than do I, had him as a teacher. I still remember her calling him at home for help with algebra all her senior year. He had been a stake president at one time(not mine) and I still remember that he sent me a card when I went on my mission, with a crisp $50.00 bill in it. $50.00 was a LOT of money in 1968.

I looked at this obituary and he died in 1971, age 70. I remember going to his funeral. I will be 70 in 2019 and to me he was always an old man.

Anyway, Rodney was his oldest son, already away from home when I knew them although you'd see him occasionally visiting his mom and dad.

He just passed away in January 2017, age 84, with an obituary that let you know all of the good things he did in his life. I knew that he had been president of Weber State but didn't pay much more attention to him than that.

His obituary ends by saying: In lieu of flowers, do a good turn in Rod's memory.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2017 11:02PM by memikeyounot.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 12:48PM

Such prison's, as I understand it, were created to send troubled, troublesome, children of TB parents, who found they couldn't handle their child, to 'straighten them out'.

They are run like boot camps.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 01:34PM

Certainly there are 'camps' like you describe, but the "Privately run prison" is a real thing. The business model sells the service to the county or state on a cost per day per prisoner basis, and naturally they offer prices that beat what it costs the government unit to run a prison on a per prisoner per day basis.

You can see the built in incentive to cut costs as much as possible so as to maximize profits, which can result in prisoner not have the very best weight sets that money can buy. Or food...

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 03:18PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 12:00AM

I was amazed at the pay scale!! $9/hour!

California prison guards make $72,000+ per year, before overtime!

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 01:25AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was amazed at the pay scale!! $9/hour!
>
>
> California prison guards mak
e $72,000+ per year,
> before overtime!

Just over $72,000 is the maximum pay before overtime. Entry-level officers are closer to $40,000. Overtime submissions used to be so loosely monitored that some officers were collecting for more hours in regular pay and overtime per week than there were actual hours existing in a week. Things have tightened up to some degree, but no doubt there are still abuses and still individuals being overcompensated.

At the same time, prison guards need to be reasonably well compensated, both because they have ugly, dangerous jobs, and to help to circumvent prison guard corruption. If they were paid little enough, what would they have to lose by taking bribes from outside and inside gangs and from inmates' friends and families for smuggling, aiding and abetting in retribution against witnesses or officers actually doing their jobs, helping inmates to escape, or whatever else they might want to do to aid criminals inside and outside the walls of the prison in crime? Decent pay and a good retirement system help to provide incentive against corruption and to protect all of us.

Then again, the average starting teacher in California earns roughly $39,000 in his or her first year of teaching after completing a bare minimum of a four-year bachelor's degree (for which he or she was not paid, but rather, had to pay heavily for the privilege of earning), and often had to take additional post-degree credentialing courses. If the teacher took all of the credential courses pre-baccalaureate, he or she was forced to take additional courses after the completion of the bachelor's degree in order to clear his or her credential. All of these courses he or she paid for or will pay for for out of his or her own pocket.

Contrast this with the education of a California correctional officer in the state prison system. A candidate must be a high school graduate or equivalent and must pass a rudimentary exam to be admitted to an academy. A number of course and academy programs are approved, ranging in length from a month to over four months. The candidates are PAID slightly in excess of $3,000 per month just to attend the academies, as opposed to teachers who pay far more for the privilege of attending universities. A candidate then gets a job and starts our earning slightly more than the average first-year teacher, and, if he or she was not a fool, begins his or her career debt-free in relation to his of her education because he was paid to attend the academy as opposed to having been required to pay to attend.

An experienced teacher with a master's degree in California may earn close to $100,000 annually in some areas, but those are usually very high cost-of-living areas. California teachers may pick up some state-related overtime income, but it pales in comparison to what prison guards earn in state-paid overtime. Most California teachers who earn outside income have side businesses unrelated to their teaching jobs, and most don't have time for significant outside work. We would need a stack of w-4 forms from both teachers and prison guards to see who actually comes out ahead in this race, but my money would be on the prison guards. They also retire earlier with a higher portion of their salary as retirement income.

I'm not sure what this says about our society in California that we're willing to devote at least as much and probably more resources to those who house and supervise our criminals than we are to those who teach and nurture our most priceless resources, which surely are our children. My neighbor is a prison guard. His wife is a teacher. He was given more paid time off from his job for the c-section birth of their child last year than his wife was. Is this reasonable?

Then again, I wouldn't want to live near any prison where the guards were paid an hourly wage of a mere $9.00. What sort of competence would such a wage inspire? What sort of integrity would be accomplished by the same? My guess is that a good portion of prison employees being paid anything near $9.00 per hour are on the take in one way or another.

Isn't there room for some sort of compromise here? it would seem to have something to do with the number of applicants er position. If fifty people apply for every open state position, it might be a indication that the person who is hired for the position is likely to be over-compensated. If two or fewer people apply for that same position, perhaps the compensation, in terms of combined salary, formal benefits, and fringe benefits, is lower than it should be. Perhaps the government should set salaries and benefits with the aim for something in the neighborhood of ten applicants per available position. Perhaps that would ensure fair compensation and reasonable protection from corruption within the system.

As sad as it is to consider, we'll probably never have a prison system than is entirely free of corruption, just as we'll never have a society that has no need for a penal system in the first place.

Posted by: Carson Dyle ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 10:11PM

I think that TBMs are not fans of Arpaio (really Trump). Judge G Murray Snow is the guy who held Arpaio in contempt for refusing to stop profiling Hispanics (and Trump pardoned him). Senator Jeff Flake just resigned because he was sick of way GOP was going. Even Orrin Hatch slammed Trump for being soft on neo-Nazis at UVA.

I think (hope) these TBMs don't like Trump's private "indiscretions."

Hillary came 3rd in Utah County.

That's what she said!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 10:28PM

I'm betting part of the incentive for prisons is the same as other private take-overs:

No govt pensions for employees:

School bus drivers & janitors/custodians
garbage pick-up

close (not Very close, ha ha) to where I live, non-RR employees fuel locomotives, contractors handle Fed-Ex packages, etc etc etc.

Today, Wednesday, school bus drivers in Seattle went on (a one-day strike...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 11:47PM

private prisons need to be outlawed.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 11:49PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> private prisons need to be outlawed.

My opinion, as well...

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 12:10AM

I won't venture an opinion, as I'm only out of my mind.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 07:29PM

I hear that inmates are working on all of the genealogy records.

More slave labor, while government money just keeps rolling in per inmate, even if it is privately owned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2017 07:30PM by kathleen.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.