Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 08:09PM

Back in the late 80's, I had the opportunity to visit Jerusalem and visit many of the biblical sites. Of course, we went to the ones proclaimed by LDS Inc as the real places things happened. That included the Garden Tomb, the place where Jesus supposedly was buried and then rose from the dead.

Tonight on national news I learn that the other tomb has been confirmed to be from the time of the Romans and there seems to be a more firm feeling that it is likely the tomb where this all happened.

I wonder if there will be a statement from the PR dept about this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2017 08:09PM by gemini.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 08:14PM

Lots of tombs there are "from the time of the Romans."
Which doesn't, of course, mean "Jesus" was ever in any of them.

I doubt mormons will say anything official at all -- any time they have done so on such topics in the past, they get proven wrong, and have to spend years making people forget they ever said anything. So they've basically just decided to not say anything official about anything. That means they're never wrong -- but they're also never right.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 08:19PM

in be 4 ~ "Tonight on national news" ~

IN BE 4 ~ in b 4 ~

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 08:22PM

Why would you think the LDS say anything about anything that is purely speculation from 2 thousand!!!! years ago????????

Seriously, think! about the question you are asking....

THINK

Posted by: 2 busy 2 log in ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 09:12PM

Oh, but they don't need to. His Prophetness Spencer Kimball has already spoken.

Dell Van Orden and J Melan Heslop, with Lance E. Larsen, "A Prophet for All the World: Glimpses into the Life of President Spencer W. Kimball," BYU Studies, Vol. 25, No. 4 (Fall 1985), p. 56:

"[SWK] and Sister Kimball also visited the Garden Tomb outside the walls of the old city, where a small cave out of rock is partitioned onto two chambers. On one side there is a ledge where a body could have lain. The other side contains a bench where President and Sister Kimball sat down to talk about their feelings. He said, 'I feel very sure that this is the right site, that this is where Jesus lay during those three days.' Later, when he was walking alone so that the photographers could take pictures of him near the tomb, Brother Haycock told him to be careful because the ground was uneven. 'Don't worry,' he said. 'I'm used to walking in holy places.'"

And there is this:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/705369028/Walking-where-Jesus-walked.html

"President Harold B. Lee, commenting on his visit to the Garden Tomb, said, 'My wife and I were in the Holy Land. We have spent some glorious days visiting those places. …But a strange thing happened after we had gone to the Garden Tomb. …There we felt it was definitely the place. It was in the hill, it was a garden, and there was the tomb. …But the strange thing was… it seemed as though we had seen all this before. We had seen it before somewhere" ("Qualities of Leadership," page 7).

"President Spencer W. Kimball said of his visit there, 'We accept this as the burial place of the Savior. We realize people have different ideas about these places, but this seems to be the logical place. I feel quite sure that this is the place where his body was laid. It gives me such a sacred feeling just to be here' (Deseret News, November 1979).

"By the testimony of a prophet, we can actually know we are standing where Jesus died and was resurrected."

FFS. Can't these so-called prophets get *anything* right?

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 09:33PM

Eventually LDS inc will have revelation that the true tomb of Jesus is in Jackson, Missouri.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 11:22PM

Maybe we'll get a variation on DaveTheAtheist's annual joke,

"They've canceled Easter!"
(They found the body.)

Which is quite true, of course. "If Christ be raised, your faith is in vain." (I Cor. 15.17) --The Caf-fool for Christ.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 11:37PM

where WHAT all happened ?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.