Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 07:12PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2017 07:12PM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 07:18PM

It wouldn't be the first time...

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 07:29PM

When were we a utopia? In my lifetime the best period was the 1980's for sure. We have slowing disintegrated since that time unfortunately in my opinion.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 08:17PM

Once you're around long enough (or study enough history), you'll see that these things go in cycles. We've had the kind of extreme division we have now before -- over slavery, civil rights, lots of things. They're typically the death throes of some group vehemently opposed to change. The change usually happens anyway, the screaming opponents die off or learn to deal with it (or just shut up, finally), things settle down, and things run a bit smoother until the next "big change" comes along. Then it repeats all over again.

It'll be OK. Really :)

Posted by: mootman ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 08:24PM

Thanks for this perspective. The Vietnam documentary series on PBS right now kind of sounds like what you are saying. Things were very scary at different times and folks were really opposed to each other. In some ways things got better but in some ways problems just got swept under the rug too.
As for right now, I don't know what's wrong but the unemployment rate should say that everybody is happy since everyone has a job. But folks are scared nonetheless, they don't feel safe, or something.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 04:56AM

unemployment stats say everyone has a job and so should be happy?

Almost 100 million people are not working in the US now. Others are underemployed, part timers or below skill level.

Social Security has been frozen for years, inflation is killing the poor. Debt is beyond belief, and default is the rule of the day.

Yeah, we're a happy group...

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 09:54PM

Gotcha, good to know. Its all that star wars training that has made you so wise haha, i get it. You have seen much.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 09:36PM

I'm with you on the 80's thing. It seemed that racism (according to my white perspective) was on the down-low. I felt that racism would become a thing of the past. It feels like we are more backwards now.

Housing was still sort of affordable in the 80's too.

Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 09:43PM

praydude Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Housing was still sort of affordable in the 80's
> too.

Not so if you asked people during that time when everyone was weeping and wailing and gnashing their teeth over the double digit mortgage rates of the time, particularly in the early 80s. It is all relative.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 08:28PM

Well ya know ETB and Cleon tried to warn us about them Ruskies.

Who knew that Raygun and Shrub's purported victory would come to render such a foul pyrrhic reek?

In me own humble view Putin appears to be the luckiest opportunist since Brigham Fucking Young.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 09:44PM

What Hie said.

There is nothing new about the cycle we are in. Only those who lack a historical understanding, think there is.

What we are experiencing is very human, very normal and very cyclical. We will be ok.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 11:48PM

This is a parody, but there are more and more people who think like this.

Warning: Gravity is 'Only a Theory'
http://www.biblicalcatholic.com/apologetics/p67.htm

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 06:08AM

What made the 80s suck was the horrible music.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.