Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 12:30PM

Don't EVER Have FUN!:

DON'T CHILL, Don't Relax, Don't let down your guard;
Don't just Hang Out with your friends!!
The Appearance of Evil ... IS EVIL.

Hot Tubs, RVs, non-business airplanes & expensive vehicles... Must Have prior authorization for ownership & use!!

All recreation MUST BE CHURCH-APPROVED!
Conusult with your File Leader if in doubt!!

Must Be Anxiously Engaged in a Good Cause, at all times!!

The END (tm) is coming, Who Will Be Prepared?

IN YOUR BEST INTEREST, THE FIRST PRESIDENCY

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 01:03PM

I thought they did this already. (Oh no! Not another story!)

They nearly ruined a youth regional conference- service project- dance on a gorgeous day at Lake Tahoe. So after being coral-ed all morning in "break out" sessions, we were driven to an overgrown field with a supply of push mowers and rakes. They told us to get busy mowing and raking the cuts or there would be no dance. So the reluctant slaves (youth) got busy. The grass/leaf cuttings were raked into several piles. We were all wearing blue jeans with the condition that we would be changing into Sunday clothes for the dance.

Back to the pile. I don't remember how it got started, but both YM and YW were having the time of their lives jumping onto that pile. It was so much that we started to run around putting leaves and pine needles into each others' hair. One of the YW leaders began to fume that nobody was heeding her authority. So she found a PH leader that appeared from nowhere with one of those megaphone bullhorns. We got ordered to sit down with the threat of cancelling their beloved church dance. They punished us by having an impromptu scripture chase and testimony meeting. Only Mormons know how to over-react and screw up a good time!

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 01:25PM

Mormon church: ruining lives and life in general since 1830.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 01:30PM

Yes. It has always been implied so what not make it official?

Don't ever have fun, brothers and sisters, but claim you are having more fun than anyone else. God wants you to make us look good.

Posted by: MeM ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 12:03AM

Bring out the green Jell-O and red punch and party! And there's Brother LaVar sipping Diet Coke on the sly.

Posted by: Very Afraid ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 12:30AM

Ever been to a Mormon New Year's Eve dance? No poppers or noise-makers allowed. Red punch and cookies only. No food, and you get pretty hungry at midnight. At midnight, no one kisses anyone. I went to those for years, with one Mormon boyfriend or another (I was supposed to date only Mormons), and the dances made me sad, wishing I were somewhere else, with someone else.

Still, they were better than that awful New Year's Eve fireside that the Mormons televised from the conference center. They had to literally coerce and round-up bodies to fill that place. It ended up being mostly parents in there.

I don't know about the men, but Mormon women can't let up for a second. When they are sitting down, they have to be working on a craft project, or sewing, or reading the Ensign or the scriptures. They brag about how "productive" they are. They multitask. Anything their children are doing, must be turned to a "teaching opportunity" or an "object lesson."

Mormon philosophy is so opposed to the Eastern philosophies, that believe one should live "in the moment." There is great joy and satisfaction in focusing only on one thing (even if it is your own navel), and being fully in the present. Most problems and worries come from the past or the future.

Even in sacrament meetings, I remember Mormons using their planners and blackberries, before the days of the i-phone. They were making to-do lists, and planning their busy make-work meetings, and carpools for the kids to all the Mormon activities. Yes--none of the activities were ever fun--not for the planners or for the participants.

I love the example of the group cleaning the field. They weren't supposed to have fun--and to do so was being disobedient. When my brother was at BYU, they banned all the fraternity and sorority social clubs, because all they did was have fun, and that was against Mormon standards. Dreary ward "MIA", run by the priesthood, was supposed to take the place of the social clubs. Or else, students could organize "service groups", if they did work for the school or community during the meetings and activities.

Growing up in a Mormon GA family, we were not allowed to laugh at the dinner table. If we did, we were sent up to our room, to go to bed, without any dinner. My brothers would deliberately make me laugh, and not eating dinner gave me stomach aches during the night, causing distress and lack of sleep. I was a very skinny child. Just for laughing!

It's a joyless cult--it comes across in their hymns.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 01:34PM

Very joyless, i avoid sit down dinners or any gatherings to this day. I literally tell people i don't do sit down dinners. My fathers anger and silent control methods in the dinner mode was absolutely torcherous

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 12:40PM

That's already a rule, even implied, and supersedes all other rules.

Members having fun makes the self-appointed king-corps jealous, and is cause for termination (mis/excommunication) and is the key to happiness and aternal life.

M@t

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 01:59PM

They need a hole in their head [input-output], for personal autonomy/ free-agency/ individuality.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.