Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: halfmo ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 10:40PM

Hi!

What happens when a newly baptized person does not show up for confirmation at sacrament meeting? What is their status in the church? How does the church view them?

Also, if too much time passes by will the person have to get rebaptized?

Thanks in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2017 10:42PM by halfmo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 10:48PM

i think you are counted as a Mormon.

No, should you decide later that you really, really do want to be a Mormon, then you don't need to be re-baptized. Just get the confirmation step completed.

That's my understanding anyway.

Date: November 27, 2017 11:06PM

Darren Steers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
"i think you are counted as a Mormon.
No, should you decide later that you really, really do want to be a Mormon, then you don't need to be re-baptized. Just get the confirmation step
completed.That's my understanding anyway."

I heard that a member record is only created after confirmation. But I don't know all if that's true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2017 11:07PM by halfmo.

Date: November 27, 2017 11:10PM

the Mormons know your name, date of birth and other relevant information.

They have you on file as a baptized member.

Welcome to the 15 Million Mormons.

Date: November 28, 2017 01:04AM

Oh gee. Hahaha

Posted by: AnonX ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 02:33PM

Definitely not true. Eyring visited my mission ~20 years ago to pitch a new program to track down “members” that had been baptized and never confirmed. The list for my mission alone had thousands of names. The program didn’t last long. We quickly learned that most were from falsified baptismal records. We did track down some of the “members”, but none of them knew they were members. We even found one guy that was supposedly baptized when he was 6. There was no follow through. The program just fizzled out, so I know none of the names were removed from the records.

Posted by: AnonX ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 02:38PM

Procedures have probably changed since the 80’s and 90’s when all these fake baptismal records were being sent in.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 04:09PM

Never underestimate the desire of some elders to get good numbers...

The missionary excesses/abuses of the past will certainly be visited upon the newly fertile missions of Africa.

Posted by: logged out (nli) ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 10:57PM

"What is their status in the church?"

Too smart for their own good.

Date: November 27, 2017 11:03PM

logged out (nli) Wrote:
> "What is their status in the church?"
>
> Too smart for their own good.

Hahaha.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 12:20AM

WIN !!!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 04:21AM

You're in never-never land, a quasi member. They'd likely harass you about the confirmation and try to bully you into confirmation. Send in a letter saying you've changed your mind and don't want to be a mormon and don't want further contact. That should take care of it. Good luck.

Posted by: mootman ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 04:16PM

This is true. They are on pins and needles every time a dunk is done but the confirm is not.

Just stand your ground and ask for what you want and don't take no. Very likely they will just let it go eventually

Don't explain it. That just makes it worse. Just say you were mistaken and you don't want to do this anymore

I served a mission and saw the details of these rules play out many many times. You aren't in til the confirm

Date: November 29, 2017 03:13AM

Cheryl Wrote:
> You're in never-never land, a quasi member. They'd
likely harass you about the confirmation and try to bully you into confirmation. Send in a letter saying you've changed your mind and don't want to
be a mormon and don't want further contact. That
> should take care of it. Good luck.

If this were monopoly i guess I've landed on free parking/ no tithing spot. They're already smothering me. Members have come by, and ive been invited to like 3 events.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 12:08PM

In practicality, this will be your problem (member? nonmember? Who cares?). If you want them to leave you alone, you will probably need to take some sort of action to shut them down.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 05:10AM

I've heard that it is not an uncommon practice, and that its handling varies from one mission to the next. Confirmation used to happen almost exclusively immediately following the baptism after the baptizee had dried off and changed clothing at the baptism ceremony. In many missions, it's now required that the person show up at church, ideally the following day, to be confirmed. The idea behind it was that the "member" who almost inevitably went inactive, had been in attendance at church at least once as an actual member.

The practice is supposedly now negotiated between the mission president (and his minions) and a ward's bishop. The common take is reportedly that remission of sins to that point is in effect but that the person is not a member of record without confirmation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2017 05:11AM by scmd.

Posted by: mankosuki ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 09:21AM

Oh no!
Your running around without the holy spook. Your going to sin for sure. Best get that confirmation before you sin and have to be baptized again.
At least that's my recollection of the confirmation prayer, "Receive the Holy Ghost."
Actually don't know the official policy on the situation but seems it would like anything else....depends on who's involved.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 12:13PM

Haha. That was my first thought!

You didn't get the gift of the Holy Ghost? How will you ever know what to do? How will you think or make a decision? Everything hinges on the Holy Ghost telling you what to do. Everything. You can kiss your car keys goodbye! Better just go and get a bus pass now.

Date: November 28, 2017 12:26PM

But you can still lose a bus pass.......

Date: November 29, 2017 03:06AM

Just as an update the missionaries now want to come by and talk about things.

Date: November 29, 2017 08:38AM

Of course they do.

They have their guilt and manipulation techniques to try on you now, to bring you back to the "right" way of thinking and feeling.

Posted by: NevermoinIdaho ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 09:28AM

What's the deal with Mormons doing baptism and confirmation so close to each other, anyway? Most Christians who do both separate them by years, and confirmation isn't necessary - I was confirmed by choice, in my late 30s, by the Episcopal church. Nobody ever said I wasn't a member before that. Nobody really CARED, either, they were just happy to have me around.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 09:36AM

NevermoinIdaho Wrote:
> What's the deal with Mormons doing baptism and
> confirmation so close to each other, anyway? Most
> Christians who do both separate them by years, and
> confirmation isn't necessary - I was confirmed by
> choice, in my late 30s, by the Episcopal church.
> Nobody ever said I wasn't a member before that.
> Nobody really CARED, either, they were just happy
> to have me around.

Catholics baptize and confirm (previously unbaptized) adults at the same time. Many mainline Protestants do as well. It's usually when denominations baptize infants that do them lengthy intervals apart.

Date: November 28, 2017 04:24PM

Doc, or anyone... Do you know if the Catholics will baptize an adult couple who live together and have children but aren't married?

I see it all the time in mishie blogs, about how the elders still haven't been able to get Juan & Lupe married, so no baptism yet.

It bugs me, because the elders will baptize someone who has gone one day without smoking, or is obviously still drinking coffee, although when pushed, will repeat back to the elders, "I'm going to quit."

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 07:51PM

It's a little murky. This is one parish's guidelines in the matter--

"Your marital status will be clarified during the baptismal preparation process. Baptism is not denied if the parents are unmarried or not married in the Roman Catholic Church. However, there may be reason to postpone Baptism if parents are not practicing the Faith, or have no intention of living a Catholic life in harmony with the Gospel. If your status is not in harmony with the Roman Catholic understanding of sacramental marriage, please inquire as to how we may help you enter into proper sacramental marriage or, if need be, seek a declaration of nullity by the Church."

http://www.annunciationevv.org/Guidelines-for-Baptism

Having been raised Catholic, in my opinion baptism would never be denied. Catholics tend to view baptism as a human right. Baptism is so important to Catholics that in an emergency situation, anyone can baptize using the proper formula, even a non-Christian.

Date: November 28, 2017 09:35PM

Thank you, Summer!

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 05:44AM

I have never heard of Catholics baptizing a "couple." They baptize individuals. Infant individuals.

If you've already been baptized in another denomination, it's not necessary to do it again.

I guess if an adult never-baptized individual want to convert...

Date: November 29, 2017 11:10AM

Catholics normally do infant baptisms. The Catholic church will also baptize adult converts. The church also accepts baptisms from other churches as long as they are trinitarian baptisms.

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 02:17PM

What happens when a newly baptized person does not show up for confirmation at sacrament meeting?

Well you dont become a member until you are confirmed a member by the laying on of hands.

The reason for this is so that the Missionaries cant just create members without the congregation knowing about it. Missionaries would baptize people who didnt have any interest in being Mormon and nobody would even know who those people were or if they even existed.

The confirmation in front of the congregation became another commitment to show you were serious about joining.

Now if the people who baptized you and were the witnesses to your baptism disappear then you would have to be rebaptized as well to join.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 02:34PM

Sounds like a "what f#ck did i get myself into?" situation. More than you know kid.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 06:12PM

Don't they do baptisms and confirmations in the same day now? Is it different with converts? Unfortunately, it was a one day thing with my oldest child in the early 2000's.

Date: November 29, 2017 03:16AM

abby Wrote:
> Don't they do baptisms and confirmations in the
> same day now? Is it different with converts?
> Unfortunately, it was a one day thing with my
> oldest child in the early 2000's.

No. Baptism and confirmations are on two separate days. And is your child still in the church?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 09:04AM

The baptisms of grown adults who converted were done at the same event as the confirmations the times I went to witness them.

Mine was done when I was eight years old, in the 1960's. Baptized on one day following my eighth birthday. Then the following Fast and Testimony Sunday I was confirmed.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 08:29PM

WOW.

When I was LDS, baptism and confirmation happened within in minuets of each other.

Feel bad for you. Good luck at distancing yourself from the "Mo"

I even pity you......

Date: November 29, 2017 03:14AM

angela Wrote:
> WOW.
>
> When I was LDS, baptism and confirmation happened
> within in minuets of each other.
>
> Feel bad for you. Good luck at distancing yourself
> from the "Mo"
>
>
> I even pity you......

Is it that hard to get rid of them!

Date: November 29, 2017 05:22AM

It can be. They might choose to pester you with constant calls and visits.

Even though your membership status is in limbo, I would send the bishop of your ward a letter stating that you have changed your mind, want your name removed from any records, and request no more church visitors or callers.

FYI, the complete process for resignation can be found at the link below. But hopefully a note to the bishop will suffice.

http://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 09:59PM

I don't remember getting confirmation at sacrament meeting. I think one of the missionaries did the baptism, then the other one did the laying on of hands, on the same day

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 11:37PM

Ask the Mormons/ 'church'.
They keep up on all that makeup.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 08:46AM

It was explained to me that confirmation is necessary to officially become a member of the Mormon church.

Unofficially, you're still one because you were baptized.

It's simple protocol. Necessary only because it's routine.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 09:14PM

You get to talk and hang with us.

We WELCOME new members, XMs especially, even Ms, or, as in your condition/ predicament/ position/ case, PMs, or part-members/ part-mormons, though some prefer M&Ms, or maybe & maybe-not a member.

Just remember.

Baptism here happens through immersion of truth, news and fun. No confirmation (on that).

M@t

Date: November 30, 2017 11:37PM

moremany Wrote:
> You get to talk and hang with us.
>
> We WELCOME new members, XMs especially, even Ms,
> or, as in your condition/ predicament/ position/
> case, PMs, or part-members/ part-mormons, though
> some prefer M&Ms, or maybe & maybe-not a member.
>
> Just remember.
>
> Baptism here happens through immersion of truth,
> news and fun. No confirmation (on that).
>
> M@t

Aww thank you! I wish I came here before baptism! But at least I didn't complete the entire process!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 04:09PM

The Catholic Church, among many others, baptises infants who can't make the choice. Mormons think that's wrong. But Mormons baptise people whilst refusing to give them all the information needed to make a choice, thus intentionally not giving them a choice. Same thing.

Just don't go. You do have be prepared for Mormons hounding you for the rest of your life, unless you resign.

Date: December 02, 2017 07:11PM

One thing I'll say about Catholics, at least they don't pester you. If you don't sign on with your local parish, you will be completely off their radar. You can even attend services without anyone coming after you.

Their baptism is also completely portable. You can take it to pretty much any other church that accepts Trinitarian baptism.

Date: December 03, 2017 01:35PM

cludgie Wrote:
> The Catholic Church, among many others, baptises
> infants who can't make the choice. Mormons think
> that's wrong. But Mormons baptise people whilst
> refusing to give them all the information needed
> to make a choice, thus intentionally not giving
> them a choice. Same thing.
>
> Just don't go. You do have be prepared for Mormons
> hounding you for the rest of your life, unless you
> resign.

From looking at the site I am shocked by some of the things the church teaches like man becoming God. They never taught me this! I was duked by the missionaries. Why didn't they teach this in our conversations? What other things have they not told me?? I feel like going to bear my testimony on how I was fooled.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 07:06PM

Welcome 1/2-mo.

Quit Mormon!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.