Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 11:44PM

http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/commentary/2017/11/26/commentary-the-gaslighting-within-mormonism-must-stop/

I've never seen such a strong commentary in the tribune before. It's written by the mormonleaks guys.

The comments are something else, too!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 01:14AM

Whenever a man says "Trust us," or a man says "trust me," he, they are lying.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 02:11AM

Add in huge amounts of money, secrecy, and a code of silence via non-disclosure agreements.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 01:18AM

Many RFM-ers will recall Dallin Oaks' classic statement in Helen Whitney's "The Mormons":

>"It is wrong to criticize church leaders even if the criticism is true."

That one's not gaslighting, but an equally toxic form of psychological abuse known as a "double bind."

Thanks for the link and for drawing attention to "gaslighting in general"; the LDS Faith has no monopoly on that one of course, as the brain hemorrhage in the White House has shown.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 03:04AM

I posted this on facebook. It's an important topic for me. I was raised by gaslight.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 06:25AM

I am just waiting for them to continue to "gaslight" their critics. The article mentions that missionaries continue to sell the church's official First Vision. When I served as a missionary there were 6 and only 6 discussions. None of them addressed the multiple versions that the church so publically outlined from a 1970 publication.

So I am waiting for the church to gaslight this criticism by declaring that there were really 7 discussions not 6, but missionaries were just too lazy to properly teach them. "Many missionaries were too obsessed with the act of baptism and thus failed to follow the First Presidency's charge to properly teach the converts."

See how easy it is to pass the buck and blame those that question church authority?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2017 06:27AM by messygoop.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 07:28AM

It's a nice thought that will go nowhere.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 11:31AM

So youve known all along Joseph Smith and Brigham Young abused their obscene power over their followers to have their way with their wives and teenage daughters and you failed to disclose that fact for 185 years while you had 7 generations of our family sing their praises of a couple of sex predators and expected us to be honest in all of our dealings?
Fuck you.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 11:47AM

What a good article!

Everyone with 2 functioning neurons knows everything taught at church is sugarcoated and cherry picked.

It's time to fess up and just tell it all.

Catholics and others do this and many of the followers still support the religion. They don't give a sh!t about their history and origins.

Mormons have to weigh the risk of hiding history with being far more transparent than they have been whitewashing everything. My guess is that if they own the criticism and learn from other religions, the bulk of the people would stay anyway. I think many are wedded to the LDS culture and ultimately would shrug off the history of the religion.

Probably not as many people would leave is they weren't lying about everything.

Stupid humans.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 03:04PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2017 11:30PM by azsteve.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.