Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Quentin Cook ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 08:57PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 09:01PM

Yeah...when I first found this board, two things were obvious:

1) Lots of extremely intelligent, deeply thoughtful, and amazingly informed people here...

2) So much genuine humor, of so many different kinds.

I still don't know the "why," but I sure do know that this is the fact.

Posted by: MeM ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 10:13PM

Now wait...did you mean funny haha or funny strange?

Date: November 25, 2017 10:18PM

MeM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now wait...did you mean funny haha or funny
> strange?

Both!!!

:D

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 10:28PM

Tevai Wrote:
> MeM Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Now wait...did you mean funny haha or funny
> > strange?
>
> Both!!!
>
> :D

yer killin me

/pesci voice off/

Posted by: Moe Howard ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 08:50AM

Funny like a clown? Am I here to amuse you?

Posted by: Captain Klutz ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 12:36PM

Some of us find clowns scary, not funny! I for one, am terrified of them.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 09:15PM

Because we are survivors---we don't let the church beat us down.

Jimmy Stewart and his 6' tall (invisible to others) rabbit, said something to the effect, "It is so much easier and rewarding to be pleasant".

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 09:17PM

PS: The rabbits name was 'Harvey'.

Any Harvey's among us?

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 09:43PM

I think that was my temple name.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 12:46AM

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 09:19PM

I was extremely serious as a young man. I’m an Adult Child of an Alcoholic. Life was chaos. As is typical of ACOAs, I became the parent to my parent. Unfortunately, I didn’t have an adolescence. So, my inner child comes out with bad language, snarkiness, and phallic jokes. I doubt the 18 year old me would approve of the 60+ year old me!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 10:38PM

You too, huh?

My dad was one. My mom was addicted to prescription narcotics.

While they held temple recommends (from my early childhood up to their divorce ten years later,) my RM brother has told me he would find bottles of dad's stash hidden around the barnyard. Some in the haystack, or other hiding places he apparently didn't think us kids would find.

I had no idea he was drinking during those years. It was after their divorce he hit the bottle heavily. Then there was no hiding it.

I had a fun but rebellious adolescence. And I became the caretaker to my parents at some point along the way.

As crazy as my childhood was, it was unique. Not many children grow up on a farm that resembles a children's petting zoo. But my siblings and I did. We had a menagerie of farm and exotic animals. That was maybe the most stable time of my childhood, those years spent on our little farm. After parents divorced, it was to each their own.

Our 'forever' family unraveled at the seams.

All those Mormon teachings were a crock at that point. It couldn't save my parents from themselves.

Dad eventually got his life back on track, sans church.

Both went inactive after divorcing. In that sense they did their children a big favor.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 01:59AM

We are kindred souls! My Mom was never in recovery and died of alcoholism. There’s always a secret in substance-abuse families. The secret is never to reveal to others the abuse in the family (kind of like the temple oaths:). It took many years of therapy to let go of what happened. I still remember, but the pain is gone. ((((Hugs to you, Amyjo!)))

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 03:44AM

Me too.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 05:00AM

She had never been easy to put up with, ever - Dad was the moderating influence in her life. She had a terrible temper, and I think we were allergic to each other. She always insisted that my first word was not "ma-ma" or "da-da." It was NO. And it is very likely that was true. We fought throughout my childhood.

Dad died from a terrible disease when I was 15. In her terrible grief, (I truly believe that Dad was the only person Mother ever loved) mother began drinking HEAVILY, having stopped at the liquor store on the way home from work.

It was awful, listening to her voice get more and more slurred. And she would repeat herself ad nauseam. I was SO grateful when I could leave and go to an "away" university.

She got herself fired from her long-time job as the director of nursing at a local hospital. She came home angry at something the administrator had said or done. She got tanked up, called him at home, and told him, in gloriously full drunk mode, just what she thought of him. I remember thinking, listening to her, that this was not going to end well.

She found her letter of termination waiting when she got to work the next day. And she honestly didn't seem to know what the problem was. Maybe she didn't remember what she had said, while drunk. I don't know.

She was an excellent nurse, and never drank on the job. It was after she got home, after stopping at the liquor store, that she would get roaring drunk. And she never, ever, got hung over. She had a fairly vile personality anyway, and the alcohol did not make it a bit nicer.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 10:40PM

Some of us suffered through traumatic childhoods. Some of us are scarred from tragedies just in general. Humor is a wonderful coping device.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2017 10:41PM by Aquarius123.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 01:37AM

Plus, we’ve learned to live now, not in the future or the past. The reason many of us hang around RfM, even after being “over it”, is that TSCC is a problem now. That and I like the humor.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 04:04PM

Yes and no.

The past is always with us. The future is a breath away.

The present is illusory on a time continuum.

If you get my drift.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 10:44PM

They banned lightmindedness, and here we are.

Date: November 25, 2017 10:50PM

donbagley Wrote:
> They banned lightmindedness, and here we are.

I think there is a whole lot of truth in this!!!

:D

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 01:55AM

Quentin, it's interesting, because we tend to think of you and your hombres as the ones who are truly funny. I suppose it's all a matter of perspective.

If you were serious and not being ironic, ignore my comment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2017 02:20AM by scmd.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 02:18AM

Creepy Quentin Cook -truly CREEPY MORmON ASSpostHOLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxmNEX61PhI

"creepy", you know, so much like WEIRD(ness)! that MORmONS are known for !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yCm4zFVIe0

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 05:26PM

You suppose I (we) can help it.
Blessing and/ or a curse, in cursive.

You think I try to some up with this SHIfT? It must be the DNA (do not attempt)! Don't even tempt to temp.

Ask the funny Man and Woman in the sky why. I don't know why but I pray this wont only last this lifetime. It may be a useful talent in heaven, or is it called hell.

We seek fun/ funny; we find - or make -it, like love, beauty, adventure or these opposites.

Why do you ask?
What is your answer or thought, or knot.

Posted by: jkdd259 ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 09:44PM

I was in prison with your 1st cousin Quint. He filled me in on you, and your family....especially after you became an apostate....er, um apostle.

If you're really the man, then you'll know who I'm talking about.

care to defend yourself?

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 06:57AM

If people are funny then they might laugh. Laughter is good if it's low, medium, or super loud. But when it's in-between medium and super loud then it's a super grievous sin that makes the hosts of heaven tremble and causes each of us honest TBM's to weep uncontrollably over the gross sinful covenant breaking wickedness that such laughter could cause. I have wondered why it's such a sim to laugh at certain decibel levels but as I have little time for wondering, I.e. Marvelous duties in the church such as chapel cleaning leave no time for deep thought, I did not get far. Personally I tend to laugh when I see people dressed up like clowns. And sometimes I need to be super serious without any laughter, such as when I am In an endowment session looking at how normal and mainstream everyone is dressed during the middle of the session and such a scene is so solemn and free of things like laughter as a result of all the normal looking attire.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 08:29AM

"Personally I tend to laugh when I see people dressed up like clowns. And sometimes I need to be super serious without any laughter, such as when I am In an endowment session looking at how normal and mainstream everyone is dressed during the middle of the session and such a scene is so solemn and free of things like laughter as a result of all the normal looking attire."

:)

Bit of an aside - Since it is now generally accepted that the fear of clowns is a thing (coulrophobia), and not just a comic meme; do you think it was Joseph Smith's intent to use the endowments as a means of putting the fear of God into his followers?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 04:58PM

Mostly I think he was impressed with the solemnity with which the Masons handled their masonic rites and thought it would look good to the members of his new fangled churchy-church.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 11:25AM

The Mormons have provided Exmos with such a wealth of material to use in their light minded banter. It would be just plain wrong not to oblige them and make the most of it.

And, as they say, laughter is the best medicine. Smile when your heart is breaking, laugh when your soul is aching, or, just rip Mormons a new one in a clever way--that works too.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 09:31PM

Boner is king and that is my final statement. But others are close seconds like old dog or even babylon. Hie is the smartest probably. There are a lot of compassionate women as well that know their stuff also. As for me i am the wild child haha but i try to be funny if i can.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 04:30AM

There's a choice?
Nobody told me.

For some, it's a job.
For others, a hobby.
For a few, it's both.
For some, it's only a dream.

Some find (make) humor in spite of having been raised a Mormonite.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.