Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 06:45PM

Oh the hypocrisy!!! I was at This Is The Place recently and noticed that coffee is for sale in the visitor center gift/snack shop!!!
Shocking :D
I was told that “a private foundation (admitted it’s the church)” runs the store. Wow.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 06:54PM

Who is the real source of this outrage? Could it be SATAN???

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 07:09PM

That is so funny. They probably sell you coffee so they can fuss at you for drinking coffee! LOLOL

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 07:11PM

Brigham’s mild barley beverage may be next.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 07:27PM

That's funny, too BYUB!

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 07:43PM

First Coca Cola at BYU and now Coffee at the Temple. Mormons are letting lose.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 07:45PM

Even the slightest compromise can turn into a slippery slope.

Posted by: DavewinTX ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 12:04PM

This is the place is a Utah STATE Park. and you are calling it Temple Square...... Get your facts straight before you go off and flame the bozos. They deserve all the flaming they get. But lets be sure we are not being hypocrites too!

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 08:51PM

That's possible- now. For decades the park was owned and operated
by the church and church members. Then about 10 years ago, their director embezzled about 300K from them. Soon after, the group said they couldn't afford the maintenance, and our State Legislature gave them 2 million taxpayer dollars. A few years ago, mormons in the State Legislature agreed to turn it into a State Park and fully fund it with tax dollars. It's not clear who owns the property, but I'm betting it's not the taxpayers. Talk about blurring the imaginary Separation of Church and State line in Utah.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 10:01PM

That matches up with what I was told.
The clerk said a “private foundation” runs the gift shop and visitors center, the state runs the monuments.
Everyone there assumed “private foundation” was code for LDS Corp

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 10:08PM

Yeah. Utah taxpayers are on the hook for maintenance, upgrades and upkeep, while "private entities" make profits for themselves. This has LDS, Inc's fingerprints all over it.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 02:33PM

I would bet the visitor center and gift shop are run by the Daughters of the Pioneers or The Sons of the Pioneers. Not quite the Church, but likely closely aligned. But you never know.

My step-mom was a violent anti-mo, but she was a member of both DUP and DAR. I am the direct decendent of a man whose name is on the plaque honoring the first group to enter the valley. And I am most definitely anti-mo.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 03:58PM

That sounds like the Church MO. The church offloads the expenses on to the tax paying Mormons and others stuck over there. They run the profit center shop.

win-win. Mormon aren't fools with the church money. Go investments!

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 08:54PM

And they give hot chocolate at the Bishop's Storehouse. Hot drinks are against the WoW.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 10:25PM

Not when I worked for the Bishop's storehouse in San Fernando Valley, Calif. (1975-ish--during the big S.F. earthquake.)
The man selected to run this storehouse was an above average good guy and earned a stingy salary, and received stingy benefits.

It was considered by the Church that such person--those who worked for the church--were so blessed to have a job in the church, that therefore, they didn't rate a 'living' wage. I and was also paid a less-than average salary (for the same reason as above). Moreover, the part-time job was deliberate --so I wouldn't have to be paid any benefits.

Although church policy was to not have a man and women work alone (together), we (somehow) were allowed to work together (he in his office, and I in the office space next to his--only an open doorway between us). My space was also near the in-and-out door to the storehouse, so I sat in an awful cold draft. But, this was OK with the Church supervisor. (Happily, dear Sam went against this 'cold' policy, and bought me a small electric heater for my legs (I had, of course, to wear skirts and dresses, no pants).

After about a year and a half of working there, I got dumped from my job, to be replaced with volunteers. Poor Sam (not his real name), the manager, had to (in effect) spend a great deal more time trying to show each new volunteer what they needed to do. (Of course, he got paid a set-salary, so working overtime was free for the church.)

When Christmas came along, Sam would get a box of candy, but not me--as I only worked part-time. The area supervisor over Sam walked right past my desk, to deliver him his 2-3 lb. box of candy.

I guess he was lucky to get that, as my sister and her husband volunteered for a church job in the SLC church office building, and they got rewarded with a framed picture of the top 4 church authorities. (No coffee anywhere in sight.)

Posted by: Kingfish ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 11:52AM

This Is The Place is a state park......

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 12:15PM

It doesn't belong to the church. State Park. although I get the confusion since the church also owns the state government.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 12:24PM

All these coffee lovers are going to have a rude awakening if/ when they study with the missionaries

Posted by: C2NR ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 06:02PM

Coffee is sold at the Polynesian Cultural Center in Hawaii. I was there earlier this year and saw it with my own eyes. They own it and run it.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 09:32AM

C2NR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Coffee is sold at the Polynesian Cultural Center
> in Hawaii. I was there earlier this year and saw
> it with my own eyes. They own it and run it.

The coffee served at the PCC used to be decaf, not that such would have made anything kosher, as Mormons aren't supposed to have decaf, either, or weren't the last I heard of it, anyway. Is it now full-octane caffeinated coffee served there?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 10:46AM

How much $ a cup?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 11:05AM

...and is it GOOD coffee, or weak mass-produced pap? :)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 12:41PM

Probably boiled coffee or burnt beans. If they are going to offer it, why make it pleasant?

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 04:13AM

Never trust a temple-recommend holder with your coffee.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 01:38AM

Dad, can I have a coffee?

No.

Why not?

Wordawisdom, son. It's bad for your health, and your body is a temple. You can have an orange Fanta.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 04:00PM

Haha.

I like it black.

Posted by: gatocurioso ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 04:16PM

I love coffee! Seems like a good thing to me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.