Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: goldrose ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 09:42PM

Any other BYU grad, who was told by their employer that they don't like hiring BYU grads? XD

This morning I had my one on one meeting with my boss. I recently joined the company, so we mostly talked new hire stuff, concerns, questions and whatever.

My company has branches all over the US, including Utah - but I'm based in NYC. . She also talked about how I'm the first BYU grad, who doesn't seem to have problems with the "New York culture". I explained to her that my diploma may say BYU, but I'm no longer a mormon. She started laughing and then she mentioned how they hesitated with hiring me because of BYU. She said that many BYU grads started working here and struggled with accepting homosexual coworkers, occasional swear words, one of them sent the company an email that he'd prefer, if they didn't drink coffee in morning meetings.

Long story short. We ended the meeting with her saying: "I just simply think most BYU grads don't know how to think and communicate with people.They're great rules followers and disciplined, but I need more than that." I think she nailed it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2017 09:43PM by goldrose.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 09:44PM

Good job, goldrose :)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 09:58PM

That coffee email is a hoot! Maybe BYU should offer a class in how to live in real world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2017 09:58PM by summer.

Date: November 22, 2017 10:08PM

I had to laugh. Our meetings have about 10-20 people. Sure, all of them will "respect" one person. Not the other way around.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 11:54PM

Even at my most Mormon, I wouldnt have considered complaining about other people drinking coffee

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 23, 2017 01:28PM

The vast majority of Mormons I've known would never consider complaining about others drinking coffee. Even those TBM's I know who grew up in Utah do realize that not everyone is Mormon, and that non-Mormons drink coffee.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: November 23, 2017 01:59PM

Admin---

Thanks for deleting those totally inappropriate racist remarks that popped up last night.

Those people need to be banished from this site.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: November 23, 2017 05:11PM

Those ugly posts were all done by the same person who was using different names. We have a few sick trolls.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 23, 2017 05:34PM

I was given some horrible job interview advice. Members of the BP told me to asset my right to worship and not work on Sundays. Most employers responded that they required workers to be flexible to meet their needs. Needless to say, I didn't get hired because that most likely ruined my hirability.

At my next job interview, I told them that I would gladly work weekends and holidays. I was promptly hired.

I could see some TBMS trying to affirm their superior righteousness in the workplace.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 23, 2017 05:49PM

my employer hates hiring BYU grads too, so he just does NOT do it !!!! except for the BYU grads like me -people who have quit THE (MORmON) church and who despise it and its sham University.

Posted by: mootman ( )
Date: November 23, 2017 05:56PM

Reports like this do make me cringe since I too have this unfortunate university on my resume

The redeeming grace being another more worldly university also on there. I hope that takes away any prejudice

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 23, 2017 11:33PM

quite contrary to what LDS inc and its MORmON leaders love to suggest, MORmONS are NOT the most lovable and hard working people on earth ( while also oddly being the most persecuted), so being affiliated with MORmONS and MORmONISM does in fact have certain very negative liabilities

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: November 23, 2017 11:23PM

Is that someone from an NYC company has seen enough BYU applicants to actually have formed an opinion.

Is there a reason why that would be? Is it because your company has a Utah branch in the first place?

I've worked in NYC and live near there. Don't meet many people who would have had contact with enough BYU grads to have an opinion one way or the other.

Date: November 24, 2017 12:17AM

Correct. Our Utah branch is the second largest. Sometimes employees transfer from one state to another. My current boss also worked in Utah. I was supposed to be based in salt lake, but was offered this position in New York.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 11:15AM

My employer loves BYU grads. What they don't like are people (like me) with 2 yr degrees.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 11:46AM

Yes. Your employer nailed it.

The main education one receives at BYU is learning to follow the honor code more immaculately than Mary's conception. This makes a great sheep. A great employee? Not so much.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 11:54AM

The coffee email reminded me a recent hiring situation that my wife was sitting in on. The dept head (a TBM) didn't want to hire the most qualified person they interviewed because she wasn't TBM. She (a catholic) liked to drink coffee and had been twice divorced. In his mind, this made her a less than desirable person regardless of her qualifications. Thankfully, my wife was able to convince them to hire her and she is an excellent employee.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 01:02PM

I worked in Idaho in the 90s and had some TBMs on staff. The laziest person was a TBM who was head of the department. He gave Mormons a bad name.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 01:31PM

I've heard this too - but the reason was because BYU grads don't tend to show initiative. They are great at following the rules and following direction but creative problem solving is harder. I am a BYU grad and since hearing that, I've tried a lot harder to take the lead and take responsibility for projects. I think it was great advice. I didn't even realize what I was doing.

My other problem, aside from the BYU diploma, is trying to explain how my Spanish minor was followed up by 1 1/2 years working for a corporation in Spain. I need to mention living in Spain to underscore my bilingual abilities but it's hard to explain the (missionary) work I did there, without sounding like a religious nut.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 01:39PM

Perhaps in interviews just say your were working for a Corporation gathering statistics regarding the buying and selling of futures, and leave it at that.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 05:20PM

The Return to Zion Syndrome also comes into play.

I know of some employers who actually like hiring from BYU but the BYU grads never stay long as they can't hack it outside of Utah. As one employer once told a BYU department head " We love your grads but they don't stay".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.