Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 10:15PM

Ok I asked the missionaries this when I met with them before they got transfred and got you don't need to know that, it is not important? Ok, I looked them up on YouTube and still do pologomy, and Mormons say oh we stopped doing it! Yeah right

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 11:01PM

They practice "spiritual polygamy" even though they don't talk about it. Where widowed men remarry women (some that had never been married). Based on the Mormon doctrine, both of those wives will be with that man in the next life.

Now there are members that still practice polygamy in this life.
One example would be the Collier family (look them up). They were mainstream Mormons (one husband, two sister wives) that were excommunicated for practicing it.

And there are some that keep it on the hush, and some local leaders turn a blind eye to it.

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: November 21, 2017 11:41AM

@severedpuppetstrings, it would be interesting to see if the LDS Church would turn a blind eye to polygamy like they do with coffee drinkers. As long as you arent making their church look bad, would they care?

Here is audio of Richard E. Turley Jr. admitting that the LDS still believe in polygamy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IElCWKsszpE

The only thing that was banned was the practice of polygamy because it made their church look perverted and was illegal.

Yet the LDS Church is in foreign countries where polygamy is legal and they still ban them from practicing it...

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 21, 2017 11:55AM

There are actually hundreds of these groups of every size from one man and a few wives up to hundreds of men with multiple wives. Most of them are hidden and go unnoticed.

You can read about it for free in my novel based on my life. It's on the main page of this site and is titled "Plural Bride to Be."

Date: November 22, 2017 11:42AM

@Cheryl, I suspect that they want to go unnoticed since their activity is illegal. As soon as Warren Jeffs got public attention from news outlets like Dateline he got a life sentence in Texas.

I know about the FLDS and the Kingston groups. Which group were you in if you dont mind me asking?

Date: November 22, 2017 12:37PM

Like most of these splinter groups, not many would know it. My brother did join the Allreds which is quite large.

Date: November 22, 2017 01:22PM

@Cheryl, small polygamous groups never last long. The combination of fear of outsiders and lack of recruitment with a few men having all the children leads to inbreeding which leads to genetic death. It is unsustainable.

Date: November 22, 2017 05:10PM

You can't make hard rules and expect every group to follow them.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 01:32PM

I haven't kept up on the status of the anti-polyg laws of Utah, but at one point I believe a federal judge had made rulings that prohibited Utah from doing anything more than enforcing bigamy laws.

This meant that if a man married one woman by Utah law, and announced that he was taking other wives by some church law, he was free to do so. But there was only one *legal* marriage.

I remember thinking that under that standard, los mormones could go back to living the Everlasting Covenant; all the wives would be sealed to the man, but by Utah law, only one of the wives could enjoy the protections afforded by state sanctioned marriage. It bothered me that the GA's weren't hot to get back in their horny ghawd's good graces by reporting for duty under the Everlasting Covenant.

If it was an image problem, then they are phussies for thinking more about their fellow man's opinion that ghawd's opinion.

Date: November 22, 2017 02:10PM

The polygamists weren't charged with bigamy or polygamy but with fraud, tax evasion, child abuse and other crimes.

Date: November 22, 2017 02:10PM

@elderolddog, The reason polygamy was stopped was because their church was going to be shut down by the Federal Government and their property confiscated.

"The Lord showed me by vision and revelation exactly what would take place if we did not stop this practice. If we had not stopped it... all ordinances would be stopped throughout the land of Zion. Confusion would reign throughout Israel, and many men would be made prisoners. This trouble would have come upon the whole Church, and we should have been compelled to stop the practice... I should have let all the temples go out of our hands; I should have gone to prison myself, and let every other man go there..."

(Cache Stake Conference, Logan, Utah, Sunday, November 1, 1891. Reported in Deseret Weekly, November 14, 1891.)

They knew the Federal Government wasnt going to tolerate their polygamy.

Date: November 22, 2017 02:31PM

And they doing nothing about it.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 04:24PM

@isthechurchtrue, I believe you've missed my point...

Sec. 132 is still alive and well as a commandment and is part of the heavenly order, the church simply `volunteered` under extreme duress not to do so.

The political climate has now changed. I'm saying that ghawd and the GAs are phussies for not re-starting obedience to Sec. 132.

Date: November 22, 2017 06:00PM

@elderolddog, they might get away with it in Utah but not most other countries. It would be a huge problem for them trying to manage legal problems around the world.

That is why I think they would just stop ex-communicating polygamists in Utah while pretending that they dont teach it or practice polygamy.

That seems to be their style through history as well. They pretended to stop practicing polygamy in the Official Declaration 1 so the Federal Government wouldnt shut them down. Then during the Reed Smoot hearings the Feds found out it was still being practiced 14 years later.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 03:43PM

Its basically joseph smith's real church in modern day or i could be wrong about that. The craziest thing is polygamy is still in mormon scripture, it was never taken out. So they definitely still believe in it deep down otherwise it would have been removed.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: November 22, 2017 04:12PM

An old plyg leader had a small book from the 1940 s I believe called revelations of more enduring value that the church had printed then retracted...most of the problem revelations were deleted as in about forty...no idea why they got cold feet...he kept a copy just to prove tscc had done this...HJ Grant was fined for unlawful cohabitation in the 1940s...he was also the guy who claimed he would keep marrying until he got a wife who would bear him a son...guess gawd forgot to xplain to the profit how chromosomes work...most plyg groups began over leadership...or when the old leader died who was gonna be boss....the Allreds even splintered off from the musserites who claimed authority from John Taylor and the Wooleys...well save the one mighty and strong horse feathers for another day...sheesh...so many nut jobs so little time

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.