Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 11:19PM

They aren't necessarily Mormon men and women looking to meet up and pair off in polygamous matrimony.

It's still illegal in America, but in a society where anything goes is it becoming more acceptable?

To me it still seems foreign, strange, and weird. Maybe because of my own Mormon origins with the knowledge I have of how detrimental it is to families (see FLDS.)

Tonight is featuring a single mom with two young children, and struggling financially who is going out on a limb to move her children across country and live with a husband and his current wife in their Missouri farmhouse.

If things "don't work out," so far all they've known is an online relationship, Tracy (the single mom,) knows she'll be out the door with nowhere to go.

How horrible to be so limited as to her options, or even a fall back plan.

The man got his idea to go polygamous from watching Sister Wives. He's never felt monogamous despite being married exclusively for ten years to wife #1.

It'll be interesting to see whether this survives or not. My bet is: it won't. I'm not a pessimist. Just a realist.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 19, 2017 11:35PM

The second half has a twist. The "thrupple" being featured is a lesbian couple who decided they wanted a third lesbian partner to share their lives with.

You can't make this stuff up.

Posted by: Jam ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 12:38AM

My recording cut off at the very end of the program. I saw the status/update for the "thrupple," but missed what the update was for the Missouri couple. Can anyone share what happened?

Date: November 20, 2017 06:55AM

The MO thrupple was still "exploring" their relationship in live-in mode.

I respected the man "somewhat" for saying he wasn't into the arrangement to have sex. For him it was about expanding his family. He seemed to have no 'ulterior' motives going in. But isn't that what most polygamists would say upfront?

I don't see them as very different from Mormon polygamist families. Except theirs is without the Mormon factor. He was even smoking a cigarette lol.

The lesbian thrupple all sleep together in one bed, every night. I thought that seems strange too, for a polyanderous arrangement.

There isn't norms or standards for what makes a family nowadays. People experiment with sexual lifestyles because there's no prohibitions to tell them they can't. At least back in the early days of the cult, leading up to when polygamy became outlawed, there were clear lines as to what constituted a marriage.

Posted by: JAM ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 09:57AM

Oh my goodness! No words. Did the Missouri family take in Tracy and her kids? I hope so because I felt so sad for the boy who clearly wanted a father.

Date: November 20, 2017 10:00AM

I shouldn't have said "I hope so" because well... for many reasons. I just felt so sad for the boy.

Date: November 20, 2017 10:28AM

Oh no... I have the names wrong then. The woman who was trying to get into the Missouri family had a son. He didn't want to leave which is so sad that within 2 days he wanted anything but the life he had at home. Awful that she pulled her children into this ... more to say...stay tuned. LOL! I have to take my own son to school! :)

Date: November 20, 2017 10:46AM

I know. Both families went out on a limb to get themselves into this ruckus.

They met online. Sha had a courtship online with an already married man, with his wife's permission.

She's going to be his "unlawfully" wedded wife. So if things go south, she'll be the one to leave with her children. The man and his legal wife lose nothing except what they invest into this relationship, for better or worse.

The poor single mom is really struggling with life without a husband. I get that, having been there myself. But there are worse things than being alone. Being in a bad relationship is one.

She may find herself in no relationship at all the longer she spends in their company.

Women also tend to be territorial. That was one of the major problems with Mormon polygamy. It wasn't only because it was outlawed that people stopped practicing it. It was disgusting.

My great grandmother had to put her foot down when Great grandpa found himself being courted by a single woman in their little Mormon enclave of a town to become his second wife.

My great grandmother told her husband sternly that no husband of hers would be a polygamist! Her grandfather had been one. He was one of the earliest pioneers who followed Joseph Smith. He was granted permission to take plural wives after Smith's death, and following his move westward to utah. Of all the wives he took, only one could be with him at a time. He drove two of them away. One denounced him as cruel. He denounced her as lacking the spirit lol.

Yeah, sure, right. He married her and one of her sisters. Her younger sister was the *one* who stayed with him until the end of his days. Another wife he took with him to southern Idaho also left him, along with her son, in the dead of winter to escape the hell hole that was her home.

Plural marriage was a big joke even for the earliest pioneers.

My ggggrandmother was his first wife. She died in Illinois at age 30, prior to his taking a second wife. His second wife died en route on their move west. Then he took at least three more wives after reaching Utah. Yet only one could put up with him, out of those three.

My great grandpa looked back at his wife and told her, "Why I didn't know you love me so much!" It was the most worked up he'd ever seen her.

Date: November 20, 2017 10:14AM

Yeah, they did.

I wondered if there is any ulterior motive, might it be the woman (Tracy) has a son? I didn't see where the Missouri couple already had a son.

Maybe it's an easy way to attain an "instant" family in the form of adding on another wife who brings a son and daughter to the union.

If there's that involved, then Tracy would be expendable at some point so long as the head of household father gets his 'son.'

i don't say that glibly. My own uncle who never had any boys tried to steal my son from me during his adolescent years and young adulthood. My uncle is a computer engineering scientist who coveted my son when his own children, two daughters, didn't live up to his expectations of what he envisioned for his posterity.

My uncle is also a con artist who is a fugitive felon from the law. He hasn't been arrested for his crimes, but my children and myself were the only ones to identify him to cops when he appeared on our Crimestoppers as unidentified male who made off with a series of bank heists where I live, shortly after he and my aunt had taken my children on a vacation through our region as a high school graduation gift to my son. Uncle whisked back in town six months later to commit his heist. If we hadn't been watching Crimestoppers one month after he hit town, we'd have been none the wiser.

I haven't forgiven him to this day, because like any sociopath he doesn't acknowledge what he did was wrong. He didn't get arrested, so in his mind he got off. But the cops know it was him. They just didn't have enough evidence to get a conviction in court, to make an arrest. They told me at the time for my uncle it was only the tip of the iceberg, and that he'd been doing this type of venture for a long time. This was the only time he'd even been identified (by myself and my children.)

Fast forward years later to today: uncle is still trying to worm his way into my son's world and be a part of his life. For him my son became his "mini me."

Then the cult tried to strip another of my children from me, my daughter. I'm still reeling with the fallout from the horrible bishop and his wife who were instrumental in alienating my daughter's affections from me, her mother. Cunning bastards that they are.

Damn them.

I used to work for a Harvard trained lawyer back in my NYC days. He had a favorite saying that, "People are no damned good."

He is a wise old sage.

Date: November 20, 2017 12:36PM

Your uncle will "get his." I truly believe things catch up to people... so sorry you and your children were victims in all of this.

I hated that the Missouri woman took her kids with her to see if the "new arrangement" will work for her. She only wanted it [as most of the woman who succumb to this in my mind] because it's a better home/shelter for her and she doesn't have to work two jobs to raise her kids. Same goes with Sister Wives - the young 4th wife thought this was a better life than dealing with her credit card debt and poverty lifestyle she was left w/ after her first abusive marriage. And then these men are so looked up to by the wives and the children.... and for what?

So unsettling... and the Thrupple thing is just gross. The woman admits she is gay after 20 years of marriage and having children. so she jumps right into a double lesbian relationship? Ease into it maybe considering your kids are just trying to wrap their heads around the divorce!

Well, thanks for letting me vent. I was left hanging because the update at the end on the Missouri couple was cut off and I was dying to know if they moved to Missouri in the end or not.

Date: November 20, 2017 12:47PM

Handling the idea of same-sex marriages was easier for me than this type of relationship where three married to each other women sleep in the same bed and have sex as a threesome night after night.

For some reason the mere idea of that makes me want to vomit.

Yeah, she was married for 20 years in a heterosexual marriage, when she decided she was gay.

Okay, I get that part. She'd grown up in a strict Baptist environment, so even the idea of being gay was forboden. Now she's come out of the closet is one thing. Jumping from the pan into the fire is quite another.

And she has teenage children who are being subjected to her alternative lifestyle.

Date: November 20, 2017 12:53PM

When I was growing up my mom wouldn't let me pierce my ears. She would tell me, "If God wanted you to have pierced ears, you'd have been born with them."

Finally my dad let me pierce my ears at age 15, against my mother's wishes.

Following my parents acrimonius divorce (having my ears pierced preceded it by about a year,) and after mom hooked up with the man she'd be with for the remainder of her lifetime, she went out and pierced her ears 3-4 times on each ear lobe.

She went cuckoo bird after her divorce from dad.

I've been content with one piercing per earlobe, never having any desire for more than that. When I asked my mom what made her change her mind about pierced ears, she didn't have an answer other than she just decided she wanted to cut loose some. And boy did she ever!

Date: November 20, 2017 12:57PM

Jumping from the pan into the fire is one way of putting it LOL! It took her 20 years to come out of the closet but her immediate "go to" was to get online looking for an even more alternative relationship than a monogamous one? That was quick and easy all of a sudden after coming out of rehab. Again - those poor kids.

Totally made me want to vomit as well. Just sick.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 01:13PM

How much $ to join?

Is it necessary to be certified / approved first?

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 09:44PM

I have no problem at all with polygamy as long as it is consenting adults with other consenting adults .There is difference between what happens with Warren Jeffs type polygamist where the men are basically child rapists and those adults who are involved with other adults . Before you say "what about the children" That would be a great argument if all children raised in homes with only 2 parents were never abused . Sad to say children are abused all the time in one man one woman marriages. I really don't like the government telling me or anyone else what I may do privately with other consenting adults

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.