Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: alaskawild ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 06:02PM

business of breaking up families. Lets think about this. Going with mormon doctrine and the "plan" of salvation, only those who are sealed and make it to the highest kingdom will get to have eternal families. Really??? Doesn't that suggest that God is in the business of breaking up families for all those poor souls who don't qualify? I mean, i would think that God's default plan is that all families are eternal and will be together. Why is it the other way around in the Morg??

Its absurd. I would think that an all-loving, all-merciful God would welcome us all back to his kingdom and we would be together, without jumping through dozens of strange "hoops" to qualify and to be deemed worthy to be with our families. This whole temple nonsense is just that, nonsense!!!. A bunch of secret Free Mason handshakes and phrases, so that people feel like they are progressing, saving others and doing something sacred. I guess that is the point. Oh, of course there is that whole part about only being worthy of the temple if you pay a full tithe....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2017 06:41PM by alaskawild.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 06:09PM

Someone here said (paraphrasing), "In Mormonism, you pay for what the universe gives freely."

Wish I could remember who of you exmos said that.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 06:10PM

That's probably what started me out of the church. I could not handle my children at church by myself (two with disabilities). I finally said if the church is true, Heavenly Father will understand why I can no longer can do this every week.

That extra time gave me time for my family and time to read church history.

Posted by: Jesus ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 06:46PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 06:54PM

Yes, they did.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 06:57PM

As I see it, the conceptual problem with "families are forever" is that every family is firmly and permanently linked to every other family who has ever existed...through marriage, blood descent, or highly-important genetic connections (cousins, etc.).

Someone else pointed out on another thread, a couple of days ago I think, that we are all no further than 70th cousins of every human being who has ever lived...and I add to this: in the beginning (meaning AT LEAST a period of thousands of years at minimum), this would also include our ancestral relatives from other, near-to-us, species as well...

...since drawing the line between "them" and "us" would be, at best, an arguable judgement call.

So "families are forever" actually means: every human being since "God" (or whoever else actually "drew the line") would be there, plus all of our pets (at minimum...though, if this was fair to every one involved, it would include all of THEIR species' relatives as well).

"Families are forever" really means: you plus every other person (and, possibly, every companion animal) who has ever lived, including a whole lot of the species-indeterminate people who are our actual genetic forebears.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2017 07:41PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 07:51AM

Looks like the Mormons didn't think it through.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.